Tuesday 8 October 2013

Review: King Breaker - Rowena Cory Daniells

The story of Byron, Fyn and Piro picks up immediately where the cliff-hanging ending of The Usurper let off! When Cobalt stole the Rolencian throne, Byren, Fyn and Piro were lucky to escape with their lives, now they’ve rallied and set out to avenge their parents' murder. 

Byren is driven to defeat Cobalt and reclaim the crown, but at what cost? Fyn has sworn to serve Byren’s interests but his loyalty is tested when he realises he loves Byren’s betrothed. And Piro never wanted to win a throne, now she holds the fate of a people in her hands.

My thoughts:
It was 3 years since I read the first 3 books so that was not the best way to start, but I remembered the big points. That is the worst with waiting, but I still came back to the story pretty quickly.

Daniells have a way of making you despair. I mean those poor poor characters! When you think it will work out then another hurdle comes along. But then there is a lot of unhappy people in this world.

Byren is going to take his kingdom back (the kingdom he never wanted in the first place.) Poor Byren, he never catches a break. His brother Fyn is holding the neighboring kingdom for him and taking care of Byren's bride to be Queen Isolt. And Fyn wants Isolt for himself (think of the consequences man!) And then there is their sister Piro who was not as cool in this story for some reason. And the last POV is Garzik, the brother of Byren's friend.

Byren's POV is one of constant struggle and he is never happy. He needs to free his people and marry someone he does not want. I felt sorry for him to the bitter end.

Fyn's POV was good as he was in the middle of a bunch of idiots. Bickering lords are always fun to read about as I wanted to smack them all over the head. The political intrigue never stopped there.

Piro's POV was a bit... well it never took off. And lastly Garzik who is stuck with the Outlander pirates. There was always something going on there.

Conclusion:
This is a book of political intrigues, lots of fighting and strange magical beasts. It's also a dark book and a good ending to this series. A strange and at times evil world that was well put together.

Cover
Cool

Paperback, 774 pages
Published September 17th 2013 by Solaris
King Rolen's Kin #4
Fantasy
For review

27 comments:

  1. Blue, blue, this cover is blue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds action packed, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't my type of book, but I do like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Byren's POV is one of constant struggle and he is never happy."

    You hit the nail right on the head there. While a few characters had their happy moments, it was a largely melancholy conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Byren, I mean...poor poor Byren. I wont spoil for the rest. And poor all during this long struggle

      Delete
  5. The cover is different, the hair is wild

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting fantasy. Sometimes yea... I've run across where some POVs just didn't work. Still as long as it doesn't muddle down the whole book. Hm... might give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did work, it was just a bit meh at times. She didn't do anything big

      Delete
  7. wow 3 years? lol I just need one week to forget everything so I can't imagine the difficulty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have forgotten everything after three years as well. Lame there was such a long wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! But it's not like this other book that is being pushed forward and forward

      Delete
  9. I didn't remember the series is that old if you read those 3 years ago. And I still haven't started these! I have the first 3... Need more time...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love fantasy with strange magical beasts and political intrigue, and it sounds like there are plenty of both in this one. Kudos to you for sticking with this despite the long wait! Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just glad that is got an ending :) Cos the last book ended and we never knew.

      Delete
  11. Wow I just saw that this was over 700 pages which is such a surprise to me since I never read books that are this long.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice review, but no, I am not going to read it. And that cover, not really my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Yup, at least you do not need to wait for the end ;)

      Delete
  14. OooooOoooo. gotta love intrigue. ^.^

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP