Wednesday 23 October 2013

Review: Pie and Prejudice - Ellery Adams

When the going gets tough, Ella Mae LaFaye bakes pies. So when she catches her husband cheating in New York, she heads back home to Havenwood, Georgia, where she can drown her sorrows in fresh fruit filling and flakey crust. But her pies aren't just delicious. They're having magical effects on the people who eat them--and the public is hungry for more.

Discovering her hidden talent for enchantment, Ella Mae makes her own wish come true by opening the Charmed Pie Shoppe. But with her old nemesis Loralyn Gaynor making trouble, and her old crush Hugh Dylan making nice, she has more than pie on her plate. and when Loralyn's fiancé is found dead--killed with Ella Mae's rolling pin--it'll take all her sweet magic to clear her name.

My thoughts:
Not the best time to write a review when I am all grrr goodreads drama, I should not even post a review there! (edit in October, as you can see my reviews are old.)

Right, so this is my first cozy mystery. I have meant to read one for AGES, trust me, ages. And now I finally did. It was cute, charming and with a sprinkle of magic that I really enjoyed.

What I did not like is that Ella is falsely accused, I hate that premise, it makes me sad :/ But I loved that she did not let it stop her. She opened her pie shop, she went on a hunt for the real killer. Go Ella!

The magic, loved the is there really magic?

Her aunts were fun too. Her nemesis, grrr, yes her I certainly did not like. Her love interest, oh I am really on the fence about him...

Conclusion:
So all in all a charming book.

Cover
I neeeeeeeed pie!

Mass Market Paperback, 291 pages
Published July 2012 by Berkley Publishing Group
A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #1
Cozy mystery
From a book angel

41 comments:

  1. Grr indeed. I am sooooo late with reviews.

    That she was :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those covers with the dogs lol And PIE! I've been meaning to try one of these, they sound so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know dogs,cute, pie, yum! But I do prefer the cat covers some cozy ones have

      Delete
  3. I hear ya - BOOOOO GRs drama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these types of mysteries, I find them very relaxing. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they are, together with a cup of tea...and pie! Lol

      Delete
  5. Don't really know about this one but I definitely need to go back to the genre, I have many of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first try as I said, I like them better than real mysteries cos they are well...cozy

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a great cozy. As for GR drama... I haven't seen it, but I usually don't pay attention to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time it was GR themselves, those asses

      Delete
  7. I love cozy mysteries, and keep meaning to read one again, this sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library do have some but they are all like book 6...another book 3. Boo

      Delete
  8. This sounds too cute. Sorry about the goodreads drama.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, so glad you enjoyed it Blodeuedd! I love this series very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other one will be posted next week :D I am review swamped

      Delete
  10. I really want to read this one! I saw it on Heidi's blog ages ago and wanted to give it a try, and now that you liked it too I have no excuse to keep stalling. Great review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very very late to the party too ;)

      Hehe, yes give it a go too

      Delete
  11. I love the title and the cover. I think I'll add this to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm pie. Love the foodie cozies :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks cute - the name of the book caught my attention! :) Hope everything is better on your end now, and you are not too "grr"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I am more hmmm now, but I might go grrr any moment if they mess up.

      I do admit I love the title the most

      Delete
  14. Lol I like your edit =)

    And I admit this sounds like a super cute read. I may have to give a go sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you will :) It was a fun and still suspenseful read

      Delete
  15. I've only read one cozy mystery but wasn't that impressed. Your review of this book, though, makes me want to give that genre another try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry...but I had a hard time concentrating while reading your review...I kept thinking about pie and how hungry I am. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I always have that problem when I read a cozy m review

      Delete
  17. Goodreads drama, again? What did I miss this time? I liked this one too, cute and just what you need when you are looking for something light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the stuff in Sep when they deleted some reviews

      Delete
  18. I'm not a huge cozy fan. There are a few series I enjoy, but not many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cute, but maybe not something I go gaga over

      Delete
  19. I have yet to try a cozy...

    Goodreads drama huh? Guess I haven't been there enough recently. (other than to look up that trilogy) Have you checked out BookLikes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I am on booklikes, I just do not like it as much :/

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP