Sunday 17 November 2013

A More Diverse Universe: 2 Graphic Novels

The girls are back and angrier than ever! The fourth book in the successful Angry Little Girls series features the hilarious return of this beloved cast of characters, this time recast as fairy-tale heroines. Kim, the angry little Asian girl, stars in "Snow Yellow and the Seven Short Men"; Wanda, the fresh soul sistah, stars in "RapPunsWell"; Xyla, the gloomy girl, stars in "Little Miss Wears a Hood"; and the other girls star in furiously fractured versions of "Beauty and the Beast" and "The Princess and the Pea." 

Filled with Lela Lee's culturally charged humor, this clever collection of new comics proves that there's an angry little girl inside of everyone.

My thoughts:
These fairy-tale remakes was epic, so funny and quirky. The drawings were simple and cute and fitted perfectly.

Snow Yellow and the Seven Short Men, Kim the "Angry Little Asian Girl" 
Oh the end, the end! That had me laughing cos it was so true. Just think what really happens in the saga.

The Princess Got the Third Degree, Deborah the "Disenchanted Princess 
This is the princess and the pea. That poor girl, just let the sleep. And what a mama's boy the prince is.

He's No Beauty in the Least, Maria the "Crazy Little Latina"
Maria was crazy , or was she just really positive. Though not so much when her father gave her to an ugly man.

RapPunsWell, Wanda the "Fresh Little Soul Sistah"
Wanda was rapping and disrepecting her mother who put her in the tower.

Little Miss Wears-a-Hood, Xyla the "Gloomy Girl
Oh Xyla, negative much?

They were all funny and I liked how Lela 's subtle changes and made everything clearer somehow. You should totally read it

Hardcover, 168 pages
Published March 1st 2011 by Harry N. Abrams
Library
Graphic Novel

Gerard Way, of My Chemical Romance, makes his comics writing debut in this outrageous superhero epic that Grant Morrison called "An ultraviolet psychedelic sherbet bomb of wit and ideas. The superheroes of the 21st century are here at last..." In an inexplicable, worldwide event, forty-seven extraordinary children were spontaneously born by women who'd previously shown no signs of pregnancy. Millionaire inventor Reginald Hargreeves adopted seven of the children; when asked why, his only explanation was, "To save the world." These seven children form The Umbrella Academy, a dysfunctional family of superheroes with bizarre powers. Their first adventure at the age of ten pits them against an erratic and deadly Eiffel Tower, piloted by the fearsome zombie-robot Gustave Eiffel. Nearly a decade later, the team disbands, but when Hargreeves unexpectedly dies, these disgruntled siblings reunite just in time to save the world once again.

Writer Gerard Way, illustrations Gabriel Bá

My thoughts:
Yes the second graphic novel of the day, what can I say, I checked what else they had too and this was a freaky novel about super heroes. All a very dysfunctional family saga.

Again good artwork, cool story. Though I really wanna know about those preggers women, the freaky kids...but I guess that might come later. I mean why? Why were these kids born if the mothers did not even know they were pregnant.

Also I totally had to read it after I read that a MCR member has written it

The heroes, oh they got their issues. And Mr Pogo! Omg drama.

Anyway if you are looking for some cool and kick-ass then this might be for you, also it got weird superheroes

Paperback, 192 pages
Published June 24th 2008 by Dark Horse (first published 2008)
The Umbrella Academy #1
Library
Graphic novel

This post was part of Aarti's A More Diverse Universe Post. And as I was at the graphic novel section when I searched for books this is what I got. Check out the links for more reviews of speculative fiction

27 comments:

  1. Angry Little Girls sounds cute. The cover is adorable. I've never read graphic novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so little experience with graphic novels even though my bestie is always trying to talk me into reading some more. The Umbrella Academy seems like a pretty good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library do not have many but every now and then I spot some interesting ones. And try them out :)

      Delete
  3. Cool and kick ass sounds great to me

    ReplyDelete

  4. i have never read a graphic novel, I keep thinking I will and then I don't.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day you will spot on and it will tempt ya

      Delete
  5. I know that you put forward a TON of effort to find books that would qualify for A More Diverse Universe, so thank you VERY much. It was wonderful of you to do, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the books. I am definitely putting Angry Little Girls on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made my process sound a bit simpler but oh yes, I tried and tried. But since they do not have a lot then it's hard to search for something. i am glad I happened upon the graphic novel section and found some good ones :)

      Delete
  6. Nice Selection! New follower via BlogLovin :)

    Cierra @ Blogovation Design

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first graphic novel sounds very cute and enjoyable. I love remakes like this.

    I'll definitely have to check out the second one because of MCR =D but also because it sounds too strange to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You so gotta try it, it was ubercute and fun

      I know, I saw it and was all MUST read

      Delete
  8. The Angry Little Girls series sounds cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angry Little Girls looks like fun! I love reading graphic novels every once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of the Angry Little Girls fairy tales! Wonderful reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They both sound really good. XD I really want to check out the first one though. I'm an angry girl. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you must read it, the Snow White one is epic

      Delete
  12. These both sound interesting but the first one sounds really adorable! I love the titles, so clever! Great reviews :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angry Little Girls sounds like a hoot, I'd like that :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP