Friday 22 November 2013

Audio Friday: Once, Legion and The Mysterious Howling

Felix, a Jewish boy in Poland in 1942, is hiding from the Nazis in a Catholic orphanage. The only problem is that he doesn't know anything about the war, and thinks he's only in the orphanage while his parents travel and try to salvage their bookselling business. And when he thinks his parents are in danger, Felix sets off to warn them--straight into the heart of Nazi-occupied Poland. 

To Felix, everything is a story: Why did he get a whole carrot in his soup? It must be sign that his parents are coming to get him. Why are the Nazis burning books? They must be foreign librarians sent to clean out the orphanage's outdated library. But as Felix's journey gets increasingly dangerous, he begins to see horrors that not even stories can explain.

My thoughts:
It was sad...it was very sad. But then what can you expect from a story that is about a Jewish boy in Nazi occupied Poland.

Felix was so naive and it killed me at times. He did not know what was going on and later when he saw people get killed he still did not understood that it was dangerous. He made up stories about everything and saw something.."nicer" in what happened. But it was such a good story, heartbreaking, totally heartbreaking. It was also a story that everyone should read.

I listened to the audio version and Gleitzman was a great narrator. 

But I warn you, the end...you will have to read more after that ending.

Would I read more?
Yes

Cover
Bad


Audiobook, Digital Download, Unabridged
Around 3 hours
Published August 1st 2005 by Bolinda Publishing Pty Ltd (first published January 1st 2005)
Once #1
YA /historical fiction

Stephen Leeds, AKA “Legion,” is a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personae: hallucinatory entities with a wide variety of personal characteristics and a vast array of highly specialized skills. As the story begins, Leeds and his “aspects” are drawn into the search for the missing Balubal Razon, inventor of a camera whose astonishing properties could alter our understanding of human history and change the very structure of society. The action ranges from the familiar environs of America to the ancient, divided city of Jerusalem. 

My thoughts:
I Listened to the audio version and the narrator was ok. Most of his accents he did well, one bugged me though.

The concept was cool, this guy lives in a huge mansion which is filled with his hallucinations. It seems he is really smart and they help him figure things out. The story is when he goes hunting after a camera that can takes pictures of things in the past. Now would't that be cool ;)

It was ok. But I do prefer his fantasy works.

Would I read more?
From this?...no

Cover
Bleh

Audiobook, Audible, Unabridged, 2 hours?
Published October 2nd 2012 by Audible Frontiers (first published August 31st 2012)
Oliver Wyman, narrator
Short story / paranormal /sci.fi

Found running wild in the forest of Ashton Place, the Incorrigibles are no ordinary children: Alexander, age ten or thereabouts, keeps his siblings in line with gentle nips; Cassiopeia, perhaps four or five, has a bark that is (usually) worse than her bite; and Beowulf, age somewhere-in-the-middle, is alarmingly adept at chasing squirrels.

Luckily, Miss Penelope Lumley is no ordinary governess. Only fifteen years old and a recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, Penelope embraces the challenge of her new position. Though she is eager to instruct the children in Latin verbs and the proper use of globes, first she must help them overcome their canine tendencies.

But mysteries abound at Ashton Place: Who are these three wild creatures, and how did they come to live in the vast forests of the estate? Why does Old Timothy, the coachman, lurk around every corner? Will Penelope be able to teach the Incorrigibles table manners and socially useful phrases in time for Lady Constance's holiday ball? And what on earth is a schottische?

My thoughts:
Now this one worked perfectly as an audio book. It had a good narrator and it was easy to listen too.

The story was fun and cute. A young governess taking care of 3 children who has lived in the wild. And there is something mysterious going on too...

I do not have a lot to say about this one. I mean it was adorable in the way it was written. I would totally listen to more.

Would I read more?
yes

Cover
Cute

Audio CD, 5 hours or so
Published by Listening Library (first published March 1st 2010)
The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1
Katherine Kellgren, narrator
MG / historical fiction

27 comments:

  1. Look at you reviewing like a madwoman! hahaha. Good job. *hands plate of cookies*

    ReplyDelete
  2. one day I'll really need to try an audiobook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was against it too, but I would be so bored during naptime if I did not listen to one

      Delete
  3. Oh look at you now having audio Fridays! I am giddy over this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, I threw them all in cos I have reviews piling up ;) Oh and they were so short. I think I am a YA/MG audio kind of gal, they work great for me

      Delete
  4. Now that was an eclectic mix of books. I would read the first one but it would break my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so *wipes a tear* I hate humans, we are evil

      Delete
  5. You rocked the audio lately! I do want to listen to Once, but I will have to work up to it... because of sad. :(

    Love your short reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D I do like short

      Yes it's not something to listen to if you want to be happy

      Delete
  6. i was able to download the last one for free this past summer. the clip sounded really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't tea audio books. i always get distracted and lose my place - especially while driving. lol

    I do better with Non Fiction - there's not a plot to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling, that is why they seldom work for me anywhere else

      Delete
  8. You are on a roll with audio books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, the reviews have been waiting and they were all short ;D But still yes :D

      Delete
  9. Why can't you read a paper book during nap times? I am glad you enjoyed them, none of those are for me I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very different books. I like Katherine Kellgren as a narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for audiobooks!

    Naptime? That sounds sooo nice! I'm in. Zzz.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once has me curious, wow these are three very different audios.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All new to me but now I want to listen to Once, but uggh that cover is ghastly. Incorrigible Children ... sounds kinda adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also prefer Sanderson's fantasy, but this does sound like a crazy cool premise. Glad to hear Incorrigible Children is great on audio, I'll definitely add that to my Audible wish list. And I really need to read Once, but I definitely have to be in the right mood. Lovely reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once is tough but a must,

      Incorr was so funny so do try it :)

      Legion..eh

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP