Wednesday 13 November 2013

Carole R Reviews: The Three Sisters - Bryan Taylor

Author: Bryan Taylor
Title: The Three Sisters
Genre: Historical Fiction, Comedy, Adventure
Pages: ebook
First Published: July 23rd, 2013
Where I Got It: Given to me by the author/publisher to give my honest and unbiased opinion.


"Nuns just want to have fun! But when three former Catholic nuns have too much fun and get in trouble with the law, they become nuns on the run.


Driving back to Washington D.C. where they work at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Parts, the three sisters are arrested in Tennessee. After defeating the local deputy in strip poker, they escape from jail, and are pursued by the zealous Detective Schmuck Hole, who has personally offered a $10,000 reward for their capture on The 700 Club. Little do they know that when the three sisters visit the Washington Monument, their lives will change forever.
Set in 1979, The Three Sisters is a humorous, adult satire that skewers not only organized religion, but the government, the media, intellectuals, corporate greed and every other part of the establishment. Maybe not the greatest story ever told, but possibly the funniest.
“The most pestilential book ever vomited out of the jaws of Hell.” — Billy Sunday"


Like earlier stated, I was given this by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion.



Just....wow....ummm...where to begin?

Even though I read the summary, I still had no idea what was in store for me. I'm still stunned by what I read as a I write this review. I think I shall divide and conquer this review, since I'm a little tongue tied:

The Good
  • This was hilarious. Simply and utterly hilarious.
  • So much irony and satire going on I can't even begin to explain you some of the scenes.
  • A very well written book. I felt like I was in the pages of the book. 
  • Simply loved the addition of pictures throughout the book. It added to the feel of the book. 
  • This novel is very sacrilegious. However, nothing is left alone in this book, which is entertaining and it adds spices to it. Politics, social, and etc are under the satire fire. (haha, witty)
  • The characters were fun and funny. 
The Bad and the Ugly
  • The characters were very 2D, but that might just be due to the nature of the book.
  • I'll admit I skimmed a little bit...
  • Mmmm, not a big fan of the ending...there were many things left untied.
  • Once you read it once, I feel like thats it. I don't think this is one you can really re-read. A one hit wonder I believe.
Conclusion
A fun book for a cold fall night. It was funny and entertaining. Even though the characters felt really 2D to me, I think this characterization will happen with the nature of the book. Kuddos to the author for being unbiased with what he made fun of. Religion (of course), politics, society, women, men, and etc. I will highly suggest people who get offended earlier, should avoid this book like the Black Plague. This can be offense to those who get offended. I would recommend this to those who like funny, witty books. It was defiantly worth reading. Lot of stress these last couple of weeks, so this was just what the doctor ordered. In the end, I shall stamp this with 4 stars....again...wow. So many 4 stars lately. haha

Favorite Character(s): Regina
Not-so Favorite Character(s): meh, no one in particular


Carole owner of caroleraesramblings.com

22 comments:

  1. Thanks :D

    Though that cover is just bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the characters I think it can be nice. The cover is really funny. So perfect when we need a break! thanks for the discovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. The cover was one of the reasons I picked it...it just sounded and looked so different.

      Delete
  3. Oh I don't think this one is for me to buy, but maybe for a library book. I am also leery about that ending... I need a good ending for a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending wasn't horrid...just not how I would have ended it. haha

      Delete
  4. Honestly, you had me at hilarious. Truly funny books are so hard to find, I try not to miss any if I can help it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover is hilarious, so I can imagine this is being a light, funny read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would read this because I have a deviant sense of humor so I would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you shall you shall. Dark humor for those with a deviant soul

      Delete
  7. This is a maybe, but that cover has got to go. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know that cover would sure grab my attention, enough to make me flip it over and read the back to see what the heck it was about =D Anywho, I enjoyed your honest review and it does sound like it could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was mostly the summary that had me agree to read this.

      Delete
  9. Doesn't sound like one I'll pick up. "Hilarious" rarely strikes me as actually hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nuns on the run? This sounds like it would be a hilarious read. Even if it is a one hit wonder, I'd be willing to try it for the laughs. :-) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review Carole, you have made me very curious about this book. I would not buy it based on the cover.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP