Thursday 21 November 2013

Review: Saving Francesca - Melina Marchetta + Emma and Elliott

Francesca is stuck at St. Sebastian's, a boys' school that pretends it's coed by giving the girls their own bathroom.  Her only female companions are an ultra-feminist, a rumored slut, and an an impossibly dorky accordion player.  The boys are no better, from Thomas who specializes in musical burping to Will, the perpetually frowning, smug moron that Francesca can't seem to stop thinking about.

Then there's Francesca's mother, who always thinks she knows what's best for Francesca—until she is suddenly stricken with acute depression, leaving Francesca lost, alone, and without an inkling who she really is.  Simultaneously humorous, poignant, and impossible to put down, this is the story of a girl who must summon the strength to save her family, her social life and—hardest of all—herself.

My thoughts:
I liked this one. It was meaningful, had some real emotions going on and was like YA should be. No stupid love triangles, instalove or silly teen angst over nothing.

Marchetta has a great voice and from what I hear this is not even her best book, no the rest are even better. I would like to read those too.

The book is about Francesca who haws started a new school without her old friends. And her mum is not leaving the bedroom. It's a tough start. But slowly she finds her way, very slowly. But I liked that, the book had a light slow vibe too. And she gets saved and finds out who she really is. Oh and yes maybe there is some maybe romance in there too ;)

conclusion:
Not the best day to write a review for me. But I will just say, this is a good YA book to read.

Cover
I have the looking up at the sky one, could not find a decent image of it, also it is very meh

Would I read more?
yes

Paperback, 256 pages
Published May 6th 2004 by Puffin Books (first published March 31st 2003)
Contemporary YA
Own

Few heroines evoke such diverse emotions as Jane Austen's Emma Woodhouse, for whom readers profess everything from disdain to devotion. In "Emma & Elton", Alexa Adams explores what might have befallen the supercilious Miss Woodhouse if she were made aware of Mr. Elton's affection prior to his proposal. This short story was first published on Adams' blog in tribute to Halloween, and though you'll find no ghost or ghouls gracing its pages, tenderhearted Janeites be warned: here lies "something truly horrid".

My thoughts:
It was short so I do not have a lot to say.

The story stayed every true to Emma. With a few exceptions, Emma is a bit smarter and at the same time not. And something truly horrid happens.

I liked the horrid thing the most...cos it was horrid ;)

A nice twist to the story.
'
Published October 31st 2012
http://alexaadams.blogspot.com/
Short story / Jane Austen variation

40 comments:

  1. No triangles, silly instalove or angst? Awesome! I am curious about Emma & Elton glad it stayed true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! I was all YAY, cos I hate that.

      True to a certain degree

      Delete
  2. Saving Francesca is the only Marchetta book I've read and that is a travesty! I really enjoyed it and can't wait to read more by her. Glad you liked it as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should read more by her as everyone says she is so good, and that her other books are even better

      Delete
  3. I finally read Jelicoe Road earlier this year and I didn't love it like everyone else did. Have you read that one yet? I hear such amazing things about Marchetta's writing though so I'm going to try Saving Francesca next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did not? Everyone seems to swear by it..hm. But no, this is the only one I have read by her. I am must curious by her fantasy ones

      Delete
  4. I admit I've had a hard time with YA books lately, I don't find them as exciting and they are all almost predictable - love triangles, insta love, angst... so I'm very curious about Saving Francesca. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! That is why I stay away cos I do not need that, I do not want that.

      Delete
  5. These caught my interst, glad you enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
  6. no love triangle is alwaus a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh I haven't heard of this before, may need to have a wee lookout. Thanks for introducing it to me.

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should take a look at her books :)

      Delete
  8. Real issues, difficult issues and not oh no my bf is a werewolf, le sigh me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You like horrid things? Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen wonderful reviews for Marchetta. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed this one and I hope to read one of her books soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hm... that short might be worth a quick read. You had me at horrid. :)

    I do need to read Marchetta. I haven't read a book by her yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious about a a fantasy book by her, that one I really want to read

      Delete
  12. It sounds like this has potential.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to read a Marchetta as well as I have heard so many exceptional things. Hey what was the horrid thing?

    ReplyDelete
  14. No horrid things for me please. Glad you liked them both.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have me curious about the horrid thing that happens (to Emma?)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup...can't say what...think...what could happen

      Delete
  16. Even though I don't like Emma...I am worried for her hahaha. I should give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was short ;) And then you will be all what? Horrid! ;)

      Delete
  17. Melina Marchetta is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm SO happy you liked Saving Francesca! Melina is one of the most talented contemporary YA writers out there (and her fantasy is no slouch either). I love that your favorite part of Emma and Elton was the horrid thing. :-) Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The horrid thing was so good and horrid ;)

      She was so good! I do need to read more books by her

      Delete
  19. I thought the horrid thing was a great twist...I just wish it hadn't ended so soon. I wanted to know how it would all turn out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted that too cos the horrid thing was such a good twist

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP