Thursday 26 December 2013

Audio Reviews: Hounded and The Raven Boys

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

My thoughts:
Yeah...no..no. Sadly the book did not work for me, and I doubt the print would have worked better.

The things that went wrong..Atticus. I mean honestly. I get that he needs to act like 21, but why do it with those who already know his secret? He was an annoying stupid kid. I did not like him and I did not get why every freaking woman and Goddess wanted to sleep with him.

The narrator, ok he was good. But his Irish voices! No, I mean what? Why are they wee leprechauns all of them? And do not even get me started on the voice of the dog, FAIL.

And then the fact that I fell asleep a couple of times and one time for a longer period. It just did not keep me hooked.

Conclusion:
I will not read or listen more.

Audiobook, Unabridged,8 hours 11 min
Published April 19th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2011)
The Iron Druid Chronicles #1
Urban fantasy
Loaned


It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive. Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them - not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her. His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He has it all - family money, good looks, devoted friends - but he's looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure anymore.

My thoughts:
I do not know what to say, at times I was interested and at other times not. And at those other times I was not really listening and therefore missed things.

The narrator, oh this was hard...I am still unsure whether I like him or not. His voice does fit in a way cos it feels eerie. But at the same time not.

Blue was...eh. Ganzy was...weird rich boy. Why was he her true love when she had butterflies for Adam? Oh I do not get YA love triangles.

The whole ley line thing as interesting and about Owain Glyndrw. 

Conclusion:
But do I want to listen to more? Nah. It was ok, but nothing more.

Audiobook, Unabridged, Audible Download, 11 hours or so
Published September 18th 2012 by Scholastic
The Raven Cycle #1
Paranormal YA
Own

33 comments:

  1. I was planing to listen to The Raven Boys soon, now I'm not so sure... :(
    Atticus is something else, I give you that. I also know he's not for everybody. I like him though I get what you say about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you will like it better :/

      He is not for me...not at all

      Delete
  2. Sorry neither of these was great for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was eyeing Hounded from time to time and I think I will pass - thanks for your short but informative review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know but I do think he would annoy you too ;)

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear these were not your cup of tea! :( It's either hit or miss with audiobooks for me too, but if it puts you to sleep then it's definitely not good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So not good, i find myself drifting away, even at big fight scenes

      Delete
  5. LOL on Hounded, I have the book version so I will probably stick to that. Audio books are kind of hit or miss for me.

    Raven Boys - it is a little different from other YA. The pace and style is more lit fiction than fantasy. I like it though, I suggest you read book 2 instead of listen, maybe that will make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do say stick to the book ;)

      It was, I did not really know what to say about it. It was different...and yes read would be better ;)

      Delete
  6. I'm so afraid to read both of these books. Everyone loves them but the summaries just don't appeal to me and I'm afraid I'll hate them lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes I do not really know what to say to you ;)

      Delete
  7. aw sorry that hounded didn't hook you

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL about Hounded, especially when you call him a stupid kid. I hate stupid kids in my books :) I think I'll pass on these audios :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Narrators make SUCH a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am surprised you tried these but kudos for trying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to know! I had the first on one my tbr list. The print not the audio. I just don't care for audio at all from the ones I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try print I think he might be less annoying there

      Delete
  12. Lol, aww I heard good things about Hounded. I'll keep your thoughts about Atticus in mind. I don't like immature or annoying traits in my characters, I get enough of that in real life. lol Funny about the narrator though, shame really.

    I haven't read anything by Maggie yet but I have quite a few on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so arghhh come on! You are old as dirt, grow up man

      Delete
  13. Perhaps audiobooks are just not for you Blodeuedd. I am sorry you did not enjoy Hounded more, it is a really good series. And with Scandinavian gods too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it suuuuucked. Bleh.

      No, audio to work for me, mostly YA though and it has to be good and with a good narrator. I am easily distracted. So far adult has always failed

      Delete
  14. Sounds like these audiobooks didn't work. I know what you mean about falling asleep while listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem is that I sit in a dark room cos I am on nap duty

      Delete
  15. Jeez. You are having bad luck with books these last couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, these have all been read during the fall

      Delete
  16. I understand what you mean about Atticus and Oberon though I wish it was more enjoyable for you.

    I completely agree with you about The Raven Boys. I was kind of confused. I felt there was so much potential but it was...ehhh... didn't keep my attention the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have worked but nope, and I so wanted it to :/

      It was worse with audio cos when I was confuse I could not just go back cos I did not always know where I was

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP