Saturday 7 December 2013

Carole Reviews: Head Games - Erika Rummel

Author: Erika Rummel
Title: Head Games
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Mystery
Pages: ebook
First Published: April 30th, 2013
Where I Got It: Given to me by the author/publisher to give my honest and unbiased opinion.


"Argentina 1979. Life has gone stale for Jim, an expat working in Catamarca. Everything is predictable until he meets Lisa. She has the starry eyes, the sensuous lips, and the tango steps that make all rational assumptions go away. Jim gives her top marks for animation but there is a warning at the end of his tip sheet: Danger. Lisa is a little too intense, a little too crazy, a woman with too many scenes playing in her head. Lisa's antics don't faze Santos, a spiritualist, who is looking for a medium to channel the dead and attract his lost sister. He lures Lisa to his compound in northern Argentina, where she becomes a pawn in a deadly family feud. Jim goes in search of Lisa. Tracking her down turns into a double mission -- freeing Lisa from her captors and himself from the monotony of his life. The story unfolds against the background of a country under military rule. It is a place where kidnapping, violence, and death no longer make headlines, a place where you have to learn survival skills."


Like earlier stated, I have read this book to give me honest and unbiased opinion.


GAH! Stupid Lisa. Stupid girl getting into trouble and just being an idiot. I wanted to slap some sense into her. Yes, she was ultimately a very sweet girl, but she was an idiot. Due to this and her being extremely attractive, Jim got suckered in. Poor guy never stood a chance. I honestly think the only reason he truly feel for her was the fact that he was simply and utterly bored with his life and this crazy, idiotic, and "hot" chick. Tsk. HOWEVER, there had to be a catalyst to make Jim a "hero" and make a book. 


Kuddos to the author for making the setting interesting and different. How many books can you honestly say is set in Argentina? The setting made this book. It was like adding the right amount of spicy to your food. Not too over the top, but not boring and A-typical. 


There was so much going on and there was never a dull moment. Sometimes, though, my head would get lost. HA! "Head Games". I get it now... I really wish I could say more though....but giving away too much would totally ruin this book. Everything is connected and pretty much everything makes sense at the end. 


It was such a good book, so I wish I could say I loved this...but I didn't. Perhaps I'm biased because me and the '70s don't get along. Or perhaps I disliked Lisa. I don't know. I didn't like any of the characters, but poor Jim. However, he was a blimey idiot too. I just found myself confused and would have to walk away from the book a time or two and re-read. I would get it then. Also....I did not like the ending that much...I totally get why it ended the way it did, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Plus, I'm still trying to completely understand the last sentence. Mmmmm. 


Advice. Take your time with this book and let your brain wrap around what you just read. Also, remember EVERYTHING! Everything is important to solving the puzzle in this book. 


In the end, this was a good book. I just didn't LOVE it. I liked it. However, I had a hard time connecting to any of the characters and sometimes I would find myself getting confused as to what was going on. Also the ending didn't feel completely right to me. Yes, I re-read those parts and got back on track, but still it was annoying those couple of times. OVERALL, this was a fun adventure. It would really make a good movie one day. Mhmmm. Yup, I would totally go see this in theaters. Anyways...I recommend this to those that love a good puzzle of a book with danger and an intense location. Out of five stars I grant this 3 stars. 


Favorite Character(s): Jim

Not-so Favorite Character(s): mmmm everyone else. hahaha


Carole owner of caroleraesramblings.com

14 comments:

  1. Great review and this does sound interesting, the Argentina setting is different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just recently read a book (also for a review) that I thought was a good book, but I didn't love it, cause I didn't like the characters! It's such a weird balance... it's interesting I mean, but liking the characters sometimes really matters. :)

    Love this line:

    "The setting made this book. It was like adding the right amount of spicy to your food."

    I couldn't think of any book set in Argentina! :)

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you like the characters or not...the story is all that matters. Like 'Hamlet'. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I love books in Argentina but I confess I'm not sure of this one... And I have a big problem with the cover lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahh....I guess the cover is suppose to symbolize the head games going on. IDK, though.

      Delete
  4. I'm pretty sure I would enjoy the setting at least. Argentina is very cool. :)
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure this one is for me, but you did a great job in writing the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, your review has me both curious and scared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to have both to enjoy this book.

      Delete
  7. I don't think I've ever read a story set in Argentina. I'm glad you liked this book even if it wasn't love. It does sound interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughtful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! It was a good adventure even though I didn't fall in love.

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP