Sunday 29 December 2013

Mishel Reviews: Rowena's Key - AJ Nuest

Mishel Reviews

Series or Stand Alone: The Golden Key Chronicles, book one
Release Date:  November 2013 
Publisher: HarperImpulse 
Pages:  109
Author Site:  http://ajnuest.com/
My Rating: 4/5 
Source: Received for review from author/publisher
Cover: It’s nice, I like the colors.

The key would unlock his future and the safety of his kingdom, but he never imagined the sorceress would unlock his heart…

Antiques restorer, Rowena Lindstrom, finds herself the owner of an ancestral armoire containing a hidden key and a magic mirror leading to another realm!

But the handsome warrior prince waiting on the other side is truly the final straw. This must be an elaborate joke, right? As she struggles to discover the truth, Rowena learns Prince Caedmon Austiere needs the key to save his kingdom. In the end, she cannot deny him anything. Including her heart.

Review:
Rowena’s Key is a great start to a series that I think a lot of people will enjoy. I honestly wasn’t expecting to like this one as much as I did. I’m glad I decided to give it a go when the author asked me to review it. I liked the heartfelt but subtle romance, the fantasy and magical elements, and the modern and believable characters. Everything flowed nicely into a quick and satisfying read.

We meet Rowena shortly after she impulsively buys a rather old and beat up armoire from overseas. As both a business owner and antiques restorer, she probably should have held on to the expensive shipping fees and thought a little bit more about what she was purchasing. Beginning to suffer from buyer’s remorse she sees firsthand how much wear and tear the piece has endured over the years. What makes matters worse, besides the obvious smoke and water damage, is the fact that the doors won’t even open! But life quickly changes for Rowena after she discovers a beautiful chain with a key and entire other world inside the armoire. 

Kind of makes you think of Narnia, doesn’t it? The idea of alternate realms, especially inside furniture!, is always fun in my opinion. I liked the fact that Rowena didn’t automatically accept that what she was seeing was real. Of course, what she thought was a little far-fetched as well…thinking her best friend Ollie had somehow set up some masterful play-acting through the mirror of the armoire…yeah, makes much more sense. The interaction between Prince Caedmon and Rowena was one of my favorite aspects of the story. Even though they were in different time periods, spoke and acted differently, the attraction between them was genuinely felt.

I’m getting a little burned out from the meet-and-greet insta-love thing. I used to be a firm believer in the idea of ‘love at first sight’! But I suppose after reading so much about it, I started rolling my eyes more than sighing dreamily when the heroine/hero swooned seconds/minutes/days after meeting their perspective soul mate... I do believe in insta-attraction though. This I have experienced, even though I haven’t acted on it…I’ll work on that though (maybe). Rowena and Caedmon have an attraction between them despite the odds set against them.  I like that the two shared intimate details about each other before even thinking of the future or the ‘L’ word. It was a nice change and made the story and romance more satisfying.

While it was a bit short for my taste I still felt pretty content with the plot, characters, pacing, and ending. I of course wanted more, but I have a good feeling that the things I was looking for in this first book will head my way with the next installments. And while the ending was a semi-cliffie, I could totally deal. It left me wanting more without feeling cheated or like I’m going to die waiting. I’m looking forward to seeing the story and the author’s writing grow in the upcoming books.


14 comments:

  1. Sure it would be hard to believe but like you said what she thought her friend had did was even more absurd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She believed it for a while too...I was like come on girlfriend lol

      Delete
  2. Ooo I like the sounds of this and yes Narnia came to mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =) Of course it was entirely different than Narnia but the whole wardrobe/armoire thing was pretty cool.

      Delete
  3. Love these types of books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great read Carole. I think you'd like this one.

      Delete
  4. I agree with insta-love. I used to think it's so romantic, love at first sight, but the YA genre ruined that for me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I, for a long time, and even now on occasion but I need SOME kind of build up lol insta-love gets to be too much for me sometimes

      Delete
  5. You sound like me - I used to believe in the "love at first sight" thing but now not so much. When the two main characters in a book instantly fall madly in love...it doesn't ring true to me. Insta-attraction, yes I definitely believe in that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah yes you're right it makes me think of Narnia, maybe a little bit of the Delilah S. Dawson books too, but I'm glad it was good, I didn't know this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Dawson's books yet but I see why you say that. =)

      Delete
  7. Mishel! Thank you so much for this review! I've been dying to know what you thought of the story! :-) I'm laughing at this thread because I'm a victim of insta-love. Yep. I met the hubs 18 years ago one night when I was out at a club with my girlfriends and we've been together ever since! No kidding! I think I can count on one hand the number of days we've been apart since that fateful night. I agree that there does need to be some build up in a romance story, though. :-) Thank you so much for the review! And if anyone here would like a copy of Rowena's Key, I would be happy to provide an e-book for them to read -- consider it my Christmas present to your readers! Just leave me a comment in this thread, along with your email address and file version and I'll be happy to send one over. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's so great!!! I'm happy for you and your husband! I know true love is out there (and I'm so glad you found it AJ) but I suppose it's the way it is portrayed in recent books that makes me so exasperated.

      Thanks for commenting too and the generous gifting. Happy New Year =)

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP