Friday 27 December 2013

Paranormal Friday: x3 short reviews

Elizabeth Phoenix once used her unique skills as a psychic to help in the Milwaukee Police Department’s fight against injustice. But when Liz’s foster mother is found viciously murdered—and Liz is discovered unconscious at the scene—her only memory of the crime comes in the form of terrifying dreams...of creatures more horrific than anything Liz has seen in real life. What do these visions mean? And what in the world do they have to do with her former lover, Jimmy Sanducci?

While the police question Jimmy in the murder, Jimmy opens Liz’s eyes to a supernatural war that has raged since the dawn of time in which innocent people are hunted by malevolent beings disguised as humans. Only a chosen few have the ability to fight their evil, and Jimmy believes Liz is among them. Now, with her senses heightened, new feelings are rising within Liz—ones that re-ignite her dangerous attraction to Jimmy. But Jimmy has a secret that will rock Liz to her core…and put the survival of the human race in peril.

My thoughts:
What to say? It did not work for me and I started skimming...a lot. I just never connected to the world or the characters. In UF that is important for me. For some reason I can read PNR and feel eh, but UF, no!

Stuff happened, the heroine did things, yawn. Honestly it failed for me. The reason is connection and that I just do not care or have anything more to say. It had promise, just not for me.

Conclusion:
I did see that later books have better ratings so many it improves, but for me it will be too late.

Paperback 352 pages: Published November 4th 2008 by St. Martin's Paperbacks: Phoenix Chronicles #1: Urban fantasy: Own

Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind—a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she’s been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie’s Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who’s killing other vamps...

My thoughts:
I do not know what made this one just ok for me. It might have been that it was on audio. The narrator was not bad, but I just felt that the book did not work on audio.

Again I have nothing to say. Jane was cool, there was interesting stuff going on. But then there were other things, the first person narration, beast talking, the ways she said French names, and I did not like the French accents.

I am also sure I missed half the book when I was half asleep at times. Not a good sign. Good audio will keep me from missing things.

Conclusion:
But it was ...ok, but I'd rather read it and see if I still find it ok.

Audiobook, Unabridged, 12-15 hours, I can't remember: Published April 13th 2010 by Audible Frontiers (first published May 22nd 2009): Jane Yellowrock #1: Urban fantasy

Sullivan Quinn didn't travel 3,000 miles from his native Ireland and his wolf pack just to chase rabidly after the most delectable quarry he's ever seen. Quinn is in America on a mission--to warn his Other brethren of a shadowy group willing to use murder and mayhem to bring them down. But one whiff of this Foxwoman's delicious honeysuckle fragrance and he knows that she is more than a colleague or a conquest…she is his mate.

Anthropologist Cassidy Poe is a world-renowned authority on social interaction, but the overpowering desire she feels around Quinn defies every ounce of her expertise. Working by his side to uncover The Others' enemies poses risks she never expected--to her own safety, to those she loves, and to her heart, as every encounter with Quinn proves more blissfully erotic than the last…

Now, with no one to trust but each other, Quinn and Cassidy face a foe that's edging closer every day, threatening to destroy the life they've always known, and the passion they've just discovered…

My thoughts:
This one was horrible, it was boring, I could care less and pretty soon I skimmed and then I mostly just jumped over pages to get to the end.

Not the book for me. Do not ask me to say more..sigh.

Fine ok something... Quinn was totally rapey at first. The girl whatever her name was, was lame. I mean what the? Stand up for yourself and kick him in the nuts or something.

Then some blah blah was going on. Dunno what happened but I never connected to anything at all.

Conclusion:
Not my kind of book


Paperback, 336 pages
Published May 2nd 2006 by St. Martin's (first published March 2nd 2006)
Novels Of The Others #9
Paranormal romance
Own

30 comments:

  1. hmm not so good. I only tried Jane Yellowrock 1 but I wasn't blown away. I think one day I'll have to try book 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame the audio but eh, dunno if the book would be any better in the end

      Delete
  2. Ooo nooo well I am glad the one series sounds like it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no! sounds like these were just meh! :(
    but i agree, I also can deal with PNR being so-so, but UF has to capture my attention (probably because I prefer PNR more?) :)
    Wishing you better books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer UF more so...what's up with that, lol. I guess I have UF on a higher standard then

      Delete
  4. Looks like you've had a string of books that just didn't quite do it for you, I hope whatever you pick up next is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, luckily not all at once. Some are from August

      Delete
  5. Okay - so three I won't bother with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got Jane Yellowrock 1, must start that series next year. Need a new UF series to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have all of these on my TBR but none sitting on my actual bookshelf. I'll definitely keep your thoughts in mind. I know I've read some pretty run of the mill UF and PNR and it gets old very fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so very very bleh. The Wolf one I just got all wtf? Ugh, gross

      Delete
  8. I read Any Given Doomsday a few years ago. I remember absolutely nothing about it, so I went back to look at my reviews. I liked it more than you did, but I wasn't in love with it and I never went back to the series. So, I guess that says something right there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does say something. Some books work but then I just drop them

      Delete
  9. I've seen mixed reviews for Any Given Doomsday. Still not sure if I want to try it. Oh and yea... the narrator can make or break a book. I do like the Jane books, but I remember the second one was a bit better than the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doomsday is not something I wanna continue, Jane..well it had sort of promise but there are other books I want more so I do fear that means never

      Delete
  10. All duds. Boo - that's too bad. I have a friend that LOVES the Jane Yellowrock series but I haven't gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just not for me :/
      And yes I had them all in one big post

      Delete
  11. I absolutely love the Jane Yellowrock series, and I love when Beast takes over. I do hope that the audio is what makes you dislike it, and that you just pick up book 2 to read it yourself.
    I admit the Lori Handeland series is pretty hard to follow, not easy to read at all, and the characters, well, it has been a few years since I read those. Still, the story itself is pretty amazing original.
    I still have to read the Christine Warren series, and this blurb makes it sound like erotica, blech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be, might be. But the thing is there are SO many other series I wanna try and continue so it would take ages for me to pick up Jane and then it will be too late.

      It had something but bleh not for me.

      I know! Sure I skimmed and there was NOTHING hot about their first encounter, he basically jumper her. I would have screamed rape

      Delete
  12. Oh how funny, Any Given Doomsday was one of my first ever review books from LibraryThing. I didn't care for it much either. I remember the hero being a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even remember him now cos the whole book was so bleh

      Delete
  13. I hate when a book is so bad that I start skimming.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh dear! three average to horrid reads :( hopefully better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP