Tuesday 17 December 2013

Review: The Better part of Valour - Tanya Huff

Best known for her Quarters series and vampire novels, Tanya Huff stunned critics and fans with Valor's Choice, her first military science fiction novel. This thrilling sequel follows the Confederation's investigation of a seemingly abandoned alien spaceship.

My thoughts:
Torin continues to kick ass in this book, though kick ass is not the right thing to say in a way. She is a marine, she does her duty, the follows orders (tries too), she takes care of those serving with her.

The old gang is not in this book as she has to work with new people and a idiot who is hungry for media attention. Yeah, one of those idiots who gets his squad killed and manages to come out looking like a hero. I did not like him or the politics for promoting him. While regular soldiers got to suffer and die under him.

It was more space ship action here, and I do tend to enjoy it more when they are on...land or what I should call it. But it would sure make a cool action movie. Creepy alien space ship that I did not know what to make up, insert some music of doom and we are all set.

Conclusion:
Action, danger, and a strange space ship stranded in space. Death and destruction promised.

Cover
This was the reason I was meh over cove 1, they are the same except for the background and color

Paperback, 348 pages
Published December 2013 by Titan Books (first published March 1st 2002)
Confederation #2
Sci.fi
For review

30 comments:

  1. I think I would like Torin! I'm always in favor of a heroine who kicks a little ass:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love that the heroine is a Marine! You don't see that too often in books. Or at least I've rarely come across them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The action and danger sounds well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's nice that you found a nice series like that I wonder how many books are out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more ;) I have not checked how many. Not too many I think

      Delete
  5. Okay, I am now totally determined to read this series. As I said, I liked her books in the past, I'm pretty sure I'll love this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I want to read those too, there was a fantasy or was it UF, a new one that looks really cool

      Delete
  6. Yeah they could have been more original with the covers, but the whole space ship theme sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking SG Universe...just that that ship was kinder

      Delete
  7. I tend to be like you... I like it when the action is on planets than in ships. Still sounds like a good one. I agree with you on the cover. I thought I got the last review by mistake until I started reading your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I am not a fan, it gets confusing, when I was about to start them I was all..wait was blue or yellow first?

      Delete
  8. Sounds good. Glad it keeps going for you. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sound of this kick-ass marine and she does it in space! Woot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup that is the future, alien kick.assing in space, lol

      Delete
  10. Very cool that the environment has changed a little. It's a shame about the covers though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I can't say I liked the originals either, no, I do prefer these to those

      Delete
  11. I kind of like when an author mixes up the setting and really keeps you on your toes. I think I could like this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I d o want to see what she has Torin do next

      Delete
  12. Nice, still want to read this series myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, not sure if military sci fi is my thing, but I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like it definitely would make a cool action movie! I actually like when action takes place on a space ship, so I think I would like this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha so you are a space ship girl. While I am more a Stargate girl, where they check out weird planets

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP