Wednesday 25 December 2013

Review: A kiss for Midwinter - Courtney Milan + Seanan Mcguire short

Miss Lydia Charingford is always cheerful, and never more so than at Christmas time. But no matter how hard she smiles, she can't forget the youthful mistake that could have ruined her reputation. Even though the worst of her indiscretion was kept secret, one other person knows the truth of those dark days: the sarcastic Doctor Jonas Grantham. She wants nothing to do with him...or the butterflies that take flight in her stomach every time he looks her way.

Jonas Grantham has a secret, too: He's been in love with Lydia for more than a year. This winter, he's determined to conquer her dislike and win her for his own. It all starts with a wager and a kiss...

My thoughts:
I am not a big a fan as two people I know, you know who you both are...but I did love one of her novellas. Then I read a book that was rather meh, and now I read this one and it was good. Very strange, I usually do not like novellas.

I like how she takes things a bit darker. Lydia has made her mistakes in the past and paid for it. Jonas falls in love with her but the past is there ever present.

It was short (but not too short). The story felt fleshed out and they had time to fall for each other and I enjoyed the tale. It does make me want to try more by her again.

ebook, 121 pages
Published December 18th 2012 (first published December 16th 2012)
Brothers Sinister #1.5
Historical romance
Own

For ten years, the young King of Cats known throughout the Kingdom of Londinium as Tybalt—once known to family and friends as "Rand," a gentle Prince who had never aspired to the throne—had ruled his Kingdom alone, refusing to let any other of his kind enter the city while it is in his care. But even a King can get lonely...

When Tybalt meets a Selkie stranger named Dylan, it seems almost inevitable that they should become entangled with each other—the lonely King and the man without friends or family in London were virtually designed to be together. But sadly, designs can only hold for as long as they are left alone, and when the Undersea inevitably arrives looking for their missing son, Tybalt will have to choose. His Kingdom, or Dylan?

Either way, he loses.

A short, under 30 pages, story about how Tybalt meets Dylan. They become friends and we get to see how lonely poor Tybalt was in London during those years.

A nice little story that showed another story of Tybalt.

ebook
Published September 18th 2013
October Daye 0.2
Own



31 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! I know you don't read a lot of novellas and I understand the reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I do not need to say it :)

      And thanks! I saw the freebie and was all xmas!!!! Must!

      Delete
  2. I just bought that whole CM series. I read the first prequel novella (not a fan of novellas but her story was pretty good) and had to know what happened :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read that one too and now I read this one, lol, yes this is a series where I only read the novellas ;)

      Delete
  3. Love Courtney Milan. Love her! I inhaled this series once I discovered the Governess Affair. Just downloaded the new one and can't wait to start it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have one of her other books around so I should start there :) But I do like this series from this

      Delete
  4. I usually don't like novellas either, but every once in a while a cute one comes along. Seanan's seems too short, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, not too short, it was just a little insight what he did then. It did not need to be more.

      Delete
  5. Hope you had a lovely holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read A kiss for Midwinter and liked it, but haven't read Forbid the Sea... someday.

    I hope you had a nice Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely :) Too much of everything though ;)

      Delete
  7. Novellas are hit or miss for me. I have the CM one so I'm glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I can get it read this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, it was a lovely winter time novella

      Delete
  8. Novellas can truly be hit or miss. Sometimes they are strictly for the fans and others can be a nice intro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not like the ones that are strictly for the fans or those that HAS to be read to go forth with the series. But this one worked without having read book 1

      Delete
  9. I need to give her another try. I read one last year that was well written just...depressing for a historical romance. That's great to hear she made the novella work! Adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gods yes, she does depressing well. And trust me this one is not exactly depressing but it was no walk on roses.

      Delete
  10. I do really like the cover of the first book. :) I should check it out. lol But I agree...Novellas can be hit or miss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of those two people, you know who, is smiling your way :)! No, I didn't like that novella VERY much but it was acceptable ;p.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I did not think I would enjoy it but I sure did...I guess that means those long books must be better then ;)

      Delete
  12. I really liked A Kiss for Midwinter. It was really well done with two very different, mature characters.

    I used to dislike novellas but I've read so many good ones this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I think about it...then yes most I have read has been good, huh..maybe I like them after all

      Delete
  13. I'm trying to keep an open mind with novellas but I usually don't like them. I always end up wanting more and it ruins the experience for me. Still, I'm gonna try them more often and give them more of a chance. I'm glad these both worked for you =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it works when it was long enough cos else yeah I want more then too

      Delete
  14. That short story is very short, perhaps when I finally read the October Daye series, I will get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to read them in between when I miss Toby

      Delete
  15. Sounds lie nice novellas. I have to read Courtney Milan one day.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP