Thursday 12 December 2013

Review: One dance with a Duke - Tessa Dare

A handsome and reclusive horse breeder, Spencer Dumarque, the fourth Duke of Morland, is a member of the exclusive Stud Club, an organization so select it has only ten members—yet membership is attainable to anyone with luck. And Spencer has plenty of it, along with an obsession with a prize horse, a dark secret, and, now, a reputation as the dashing “Duke of Midnight.” Each evening he selects one lady for a breathtaking midnight waltz. But none of the women catch his interest, and nobody ever bests the duke—until Lady Amelia d’Orsay tries her luck.

In a moment of desperation, the unconventional beauty claims the duke’s dance and unwittingly steals his heart. When Amelia demands that Spencer forgive her scapegrace brother’s debts, she never imagines that her game of wits and words will lead to breathless passion and a steamy proposal. Still, Spencer is a man of mystery, perhaps connected to the shocking murder of the Stud Club’s founder. Will Amelia lose her heart in this reckless wager or win everlasting love?

My thoughts:
Ok let's just do this some other way

Hero
He has hidden depths and when I understood them I liked him so much. But before that he seemed cold.

Heroine
Our spinster who also have hidden things and when I understood those I understood her. But before that...

Romance
They lust, but he wants her to want it. And when she does, fireworks.

Plot
First there is the whole them together which I liked. Then there is a murder and mystery and accusations (that did not get an ending in this book.) And last her brother Jack who is a scoundrel and in debt. Well Jack made his bed and must lie there.

I was not blown away as I was with her other book. But it was like any other HR book I read then instead. Romance, passion and struggle. Cute.

Cover
Ok

Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 25th 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2010)
Stud Club #1
Historical romance
Own

42 comments:

  1. I adore Tessa's Spindle Cove books, so I'm excited to give this series a try. I'm all for a cute romance:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one more to go and...wait...2 of her first series ;)

      Delete
  2. I like a little mystery mixed with the romance, but "stud club," really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not about scoring women, it's about horses ;)

      Delete
  3. I need to read the Spindle Cove series. I'm getting into an HR reading binge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While it didn't like a fire for you, I am glad you ended up liking characters, seeing fireworks and thinking it was a cute read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So it wasn't resolved??

    The cover reminds me of cotton candy lol 9in a good way)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry it didn't blow you away, but sounds cute still

    ReplyDelete
  7. So warming up to these characters took time, but at least you got there!
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil! And I was supposed to go in late to work today, first BF texts me and wake me, then a co worker calls, let me sleep

      Delete
  9. Wait... the murder mystery didn't get solved? Oh that would bother me so much. Still, might be a series to pick up... as long as those answers are forthcoming! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, so very annoying. But it will be solved in later books

      Delete
  10. How could they not solve the murder? That would tick me off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got to the end all 0_0 ok that was weird

      Delete
  11. I wouldn't like that everything wasn't solved by the end of the book. I do like this cover and you did a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love when you have to warm up to the characters first...the author doesn't force you to like them...

    BTW...all done with exams! HUZZAH!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still haven't tried her but plan on it one day :) Glad you still enjoyed it even if it wasn't a knock you down amazing one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not knock down but then most HR books are just good and I enjoy them, and that is fine

      Delete
  14. oh it's nice, another historical romance author. I'll try a new one soon too. It's so great to discover others. I'm glad you liked it even it's not as good as some others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have more books to try by her so yay for that

      Delete
  15. I liked this series. When a mystery in a HR isn't solved in the first book I figure it will be by the last book ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like it when an author makes you work to like the characters - I think that takes some guts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was never like I hated them, I just had to warm up

      Delete
  17. hmm... I thought I left a comment, but it didn't appear, anyway - great review!!! I loved it, and I might have to check out this book. I've never read anything from this author before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice B, adding it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like I need to make sure I can get the whole series. I hate it when a story is unsolved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do have book 2 but not 3 and dunno where the murder is solved

      Delete
  20. I love when the hero seems cold but has hidden depths. I have eternal love for anyone even slightly Darcy-like. :-) This sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Darcy * long happy sigh* I will always love him

      Delete
  21. I like Tessa Dare but didn't know about this one. I need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have book 2 also..but book 3..hm, lol I know, no idea what I have

      Delete
  22. I don't usually read books like this, but it sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm concerned that the murder mystery didn't get solved. That would drive me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't read Tessa yet but have heard great things. I do like a majority of her covers though =) Always a plus!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP