Monday 16 December 2013

Review: Valour's Choice - Tanya Huff

In the distant future, humans and several other races have been granted membership in the Confederation--at a price. They must act as soldier/protectors of the far more civilized races who have long since turned away from war....

My thoughts:
Sci-fi, military and action. That is what you get when you read this book. And for the history buffs out there one of the battles is based on a battle in the Zulu war.

In the future a confederation of planets is formed to guard against the threat of an alien race called The Others (I totally want to know more about them btw). Humans are welcomed to serve as the military as those who formed this federation do not fight. But many others fight too so in Torin's (our heroine) squad there are many more lifeforms, "elves", big spiders, the gluttony alien, you get the picture.

Torin is a true marine, kicking ass, liking the life. Even if she is higher up than the foot soldiers they can trust her. She is a good leader and in this book she gets to prove it too.

There is lots of fighting, but also an interesting introduction to a new planet that wants to join. Reptiles who really likes to fight, and I would not want to meet them. They are pretty crazy.

Conclusion:
Now what to compare it too? I have read too few as I can only think of one book by Jean Johnson, but not in every way. So anyway, if you like action, new worlds, adventure, then this is for you.

cover
Eh

Paperback, 320 pages
Published 2013 by Titan Books (first published April 1st 2000)
Confederation #1
Sci-fi
For review

43 comments:

  1. Hmm, I've read a number of books by Tanya Huff, but not the scifi ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THis is my first one, I really should read her other books too

      Delete
    2. You really should! :) Her trilogy that starts with Summon the Keeper is delightful. And her UF series the Blood Books (Victoria Nelson) - check out the publication dates of the first books. She was writing UF before it was the thing to do. I also really like the Smoke Books - they're a spinoff of the Blood Books.

      Delete
    3. Hm...yes I need to check which ones I would like the most

      Delete
  2. Hmm... I don't quite enjoy straight up sci-fi, it is much more my husband's choice reading. :) I like my books with a hefty dose of romance. Predictable, I know, but I can't help it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I get it, I do love my romance too. I am sure she will hook up with someone more seriously later....maybe

      Delete
  3. Big spiders you say? *shudders* I would probably run away screaming if I saw one, which would be decidedly unhelpful in a military situation:) *pats self on back for bravery*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup...big ass spiders. I can't say I would like to fight them, be friends with them...or even see them

      Delete
  4. I've only read one or two other sci-fi reads and I really liked it. I'll have to give this one a try. I have Tanya on my TBR list with her Victoria Nelson books because I enjoyed the series on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blood ties series? I never did see that one

      Delete
    2. Yes, the hero was delicious looking, which is why I started watching. But I liked the heroine too, then it was cut =( So I'd still like to check the books out at least.

      Delete
    3. I hate when the cut the good shows :/

      Delete
  5. I think I read like, two books by Tanya Huff ages ago, but I do remember liking them. I think this is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always seen her around but never tried anything before this one

      Delete
  6. I sort of like the cover - it's kind of quirky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have liked it but as you will see tomorrow...you will see

      Delete
  7. This sounds good and I have to say that I don't find the cover Eh at all. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will see tomorrow why I do not like it ;)

      Delete
  8. NO!! Spiders? I don't know if I would be able to read about that. I think I can handle the fighting reptiles better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think I would take the reptiles over the spiders...of course if they tried to fight me...better just hide

      Delete
  9. fighting reptiles? That sounds incredibly different and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not much for sci-fi. I do like some, though. I kind of like the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never read anything by Tanya Huff, though she's on my list to try. I think her urban fantasy books are the ones on my list for now, but this story sounds too cool to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are on my list too, I should try the show too

      Delete
  12. This sounds kick-ass but fighting reptiles? spiders? Exterminate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exterminate! Or maybe You will be assimilated

      Delete
  13. I like spiders so it sounds nice :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm. So not one I would have just picked up on my own with the cover but you've got me nicely curious about it though the giant spiders. Yeah that bit I could totally take a pass on. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I should never have mentioned that spider ;)

      Delete
  15. ...and now I have visions of V too. yeah, I am not going to space

    ReplyDelete
  16. meh....sounds like fun. But yeah the cover is kinda boring. haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely review, you have me intrigued. Haven't you read Gini Koch's Alexander Outland? How is it compared with this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm...nah they do not compare. Now I do not remember but it was funnier

      Delete
  18. hmmm it's not really my kind of book because I'm not a military/space/sci-fi person but I liked one of the series by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmm, I've not read much with Sci Fi Military. Might have to try some one day. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP