Thursday 9 January 2014

Review: Between a rake and a hard place - Mia Marlowe and Connie Mason

Wealthy heiress Serena Osborne feels like her father is determined to sacrifice her on the marriage altar. The Duke of Kent is negotiating for a bride, and the wickedly appealing Sir Jonah Sharp is sent to woo the Lady Serena on the Duke's behalf. It only muddies the waters when she succumbs to Jonah's charm. Repeatedly. But Jonah has a secret agenda—to prevent the marriage at any cost. 

My thoughts:
I can't say I was a huge fan of the premise, it's a dastardly thing to do. It's one thing if he is just an ass, but because some told him to seduce her he sets out to do that. Not cool man. But for some reason it did work anyway...

Serena wants to live a bit before maybe becoming a royal duchess. The Hymen race as the papers have dubbed it is on. She knew what she wanted to do and she was sure to get it. I liked her spirit.

Jonah is meant to seduce her cos he is being blackmailed. I was a bit torn between poor guy and don't do it! But since this is a romance it was obvious that he would fall in love with her and when he did seduce her it was cos those ants in his pants told him to.

These two lead each other on a merry dance. But all the time there is that darkness in the background, he must ruin her or be ruined himself.

Conclusion:
A fun and passionate romance.

Cover
Nothing wrong with it, I just..sorry Sir Jonah, I think your mother had an affair with someone not so English ;)

Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published January 7th 2014 by Sourcebooks Casablanca
The Royal Rakes #3
Historical romance
for review

34 comments:

  1. I agree, I loved the review but it sounds like a playful book too. :) "<...> she succumbs to Jonah's charm. Repeatedly." -- LOL!!! Of course she does! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last line of your review made me giggle snort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a weird premise. So he is supposed to seduce her *for* the Duke?? Shouldnt' the Duke be doing that??

    I is confused lol

    No matter - it's romance - anything goes and ultimately makes sense! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I guess the blurb is meant to be misleading, I had to edit out something already that happened in the last part of the book.

      Anyway he is sent to seduce her so that the duke wont marry her

      Delete
  4. I just kept staring at the guy and it's just so obvious

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun and passionate sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL about your cover remark. The book sounds like it could be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL about the hymen race & maybe his mother was wild in her younger days LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think his mother was Greek... or Turkish. LMAO!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think his mother had an affair with a Turkish diplomat ;)

      Delete
  9. The Hymen race? ROFL Okay, have to read it for that. Your reviews and comments on the cover always make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the papers named it that, made me lol.
      Haha, thanks, well this one gave me inspiration

      Delete
  10. You cover commentary always kills me. You ought to do a whole feature on cover commentary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! I agree, I think his mother did have an affair, with someone not so English and GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly Lauren. I'll take some Sir Jonah please =)

      Delete
    2. Aye, Sir Jonah sure looks fine, I wonder how his dad must have looked then ;)

      Delete
  12. I liked your description of the cover very much! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  13. xD That wouldve been an interesting twist to the story if Sir Jonah found out he had a different father. 0.0 lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol the ants always wins! I think I would have loved to have a character like Serena, always so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a fun one. And lol at the cover. Too true.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! Great review. Well, it sounds like he redeemed himself in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol I look forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will enjoy the Hymen race, lol

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP