Tuesday 28 January 2014

Review: Drakenfeld - Mark Charan Newton

The monarchies of the Royal Vispasian Union have been bound together for two hundred years by laws maintained and enforced by the powerful Sun Chamber. As a result, nations have flourished but corruption, deprivation and murder will always find a way to thrive.

Receiving news of his father’s death Sun Chamber Officer Lucan Drakenfeld is recalled home to the ancient city of Tryum and rapidly embroiled in a mystifying case. The King’s sister has been found brutally murdered – her beaten and bloody body discovered in a locked temple. With rumours of dark spirits and political assassination, Drakenfeld has his work cut out for him trying to separate superstition from certainty. His determination to find the killer quickly makes him a target as the underworld gangs of Tryum focus on this new threat to their power.

Embarking on the biggest and most complex investigation of his career, Drakenfeld soon realises the evidence is leading him towards a motive that could ultimately bring darkness to the whole continent. The fate of the nations is in his hands.

My thoughts:
I must begin by saying that I did try to read another fantasy series by him and did not like that one at all. But I still gave this one a go and I am glad I did. It was different and really good.

It's basically a murder mystery. Our lead detective is Lucan Drakenfeld, the genre is fantasy and the world is very Roman.

Right another cop story for me, and yet another fantasy book that mainly takes place in a big city. No running around on an adventure here. No, Lucan comes to his home town, says farewell to his dead father and begins to investigate the murder of the King's sister. He and his assistant goes from clue to clue, sees what the city is really about and moves from the highest to the lowest social circles. The whole mystery sure had me wondering and there were just so many suspects. But it all came together beautifully and I would love to read more about Drakenfeld to see what comes next for him. And for the whole empire.

I also liked the whole "Roman" style. Rome conquering other nations, and the whole style of living too. But it still felt fantasy and not just like I fell into another Rome dimension. He made it his.

Conclusion:
A cool book and I would love to read more. Well written too.

Cover
meh

Hardcover, 429 pages
Published October 10th 2013 by Pan Macmillan / Tor UK
Drakenfeld #1
Fantasy
Library

39 comments:

  1. Hmm a "Roman" murder mystery... interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent read any cop or much mystery but glad you gave it a chance and enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it cos it was not...well the boring stuff that is out in millions today. I can't stand that. But historical yes, and in a fantasy setting then more yes

      Delete
  3. Not loving the cover but it's great that you gave the author another shot and this one worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I did :D It sure shows that one might not be for you but then another so is

      Delete
  4. It's very cool that this is a cop style murder mystery set in a Roman flavored fantasy. I definitely want to pick this one up now! Awesome review, thanks for putting this on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just nothing like I ever have read before, all thanks to that Roman flavor

      Delete
  5. This sounds very different and interesting. Thanks for putting it my radar. No cover critique?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, did not feel very inspired. It's not bad, it's just not me

      Delete
  6. Oy! A murder mystery in a fantasy and Roman setting?! Does that sound fabulous or what? Off to add this to my GoodReads tbr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah meh on the cover here too. Sounds interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could work on like his fic but here eh I want more

      Delete
  8. Hm.. blogger eating comments. *sigh*

    I have had that experience before too where I don't like a book by an author but try another one in a slightly different genre and loved it (and vice versa). I will have to add this one to the wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger can be a bitch, I can't even comment on chrome and they are both owned by google

      Delete
  9. Must live under a rock, haven't even heard of this author lol but fantasy in Roman setting sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love a good murder mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I'm not big on fantasy but I do love murder mysteries :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like fantasy books that take place in one city. I may have mentioned that before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love a good fantasy novel, so I'm glad this one worked for you even when the author's previous works didn't. It seems quite promising, so thanks for putting this one on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it did, I can't even remember what fell short last time. Cos he is a good writer

      Delete
  14. oh it's great you had a noce surprise with something else! I have a problem with the cover but maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Roman style...mmm...sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad this one worked for you when his other series didn't! Love it when that happens:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds really good. I wantz!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool. I've never heard of this author. But the premise sounds wonderful. I'm adding to my wish list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP