Wednesday 22 January 2014

Review: The Innocent Mage - Karen Miller

Enter the kingdom of Lur, where to use magic unlawfully means death. The Doranen have ruled Lur with magic since arriving as refugees centuries ago. Theirs was a desperate flight to escape the wrath of a powerful mage who started a bitter war in their homeland. To keep Lur safe, the native Olken inhabitants agreed to abandon their own magic. Magic is now forbidden them, and any who break this law are executed. 

Asher left his coastal village to make his fortune. Employed in the royal stables, he soon finds himself befriended by Prince Gar and given more money and power than he'd ever dreamed possible. But the Olken have a secret; a prophecy. The Innocent Mage will save Lur from destruction and members of The Circle have dedicated themselves to preserving Olken magic until this day arrives. Unbeknownst to Asher, he has been watched closely. As the Final Days approach, his life takes a new and unexpected turn ...

My thoughts:
I like Karen Miller's fantasy worlds, they are kind of old school in the best possible way. And I want more.

The world was interesting, too late I found out that there was a prequel written later about how those with magic got to Lur. (I need that book!). Now 600 years later those with magic rule and the ones they conquered are the fishermen, peasants and merchants. I liked the world and the magic and most of all the secrets and the world they left behind.

Our lead character is Asher, who does not know that others have plans for him. He is also really outspoken and his tongue does land him in trouble and gives him a new life too. Asher was cool, but guard that tongue!

Then we have Prince Gar, who just wants to be like the rest of his people. Danthe the bookseller who has secrets. And lots more who bring intrigues and danger.

conclusion:
I kind of knew from page 1 that it would be good and so it was. I could not put it down and now I am really sad that I do not have book 2 ready. So go read it.

Cover Snark
You know what, I will never say no to hooded mages, assassins, or thieves...only if they are really badly drawn 

Mass Market Paperback, 642 pages
Published September 2007 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2005)
The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #1)
Fantasy
own

42 comments:

  1. I love Karen Miller's book, I read this one years ago but reading this review has made me think about re-reading them again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting for book 2, not patient, I want it now ;)

      Delete
  2. I've had this on my shelf forever. Thanks for keeping it on my radar with a good recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you do get to it

      Delete
  3. wow! over 600 pages. :) lol, i think that's why i'm not a huge fan of fantasy, but it certainly sounds like a great book! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh 600 is nothing ;) fantasy is meant to be big. The bigger the better

      Delete
    2. well yes... that's why i generally don't go for fantasy. lol, not that i don't like to read, for some reason too much of smth gets me aggravating - i must have minor ADD disorder! :D

      Delete
    3. I do get that. I am so bad at watching a movie or tvseries these days, too long. But let me read for 3 hours, not a problem ;)

      Delete
  4. Hehe. I think I would like Asher, I have a mouth on me as well that gets me in trouble when I lose control over it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Asher was so mouthy, but then it's hard to stop when you are like that

      Delete
  5. I have a few friends who enjoyed this series. I love the covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying all her books so far :D

      Delete
  6. Oh that's great I hope the others will be as good. Well you know my story with fantasy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one book left in the series, it's 2 part series, but then I want the series following and the prequel

      Delete
  7. I need to change up my reading some this year - add some fantasy back in for example. This sounds good, except my first thought was "Is any mage ever really innocent?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is as he does not know he is one ;)

      Delete
  8. it is nice when a big book like this draws you in from the get go and does not disappoint. Sounds terrific. What no cover commentary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, I do forget ..a lot ;) Mostly it's Chris reminding me I forgot, haha

      Delete
  9. I've only read one series like this and that's Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I tried reading Brooks but I didn't like his stuff. Maybe I'll like this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved WOT :D But this series is a 2 book series so a bit shorter ;)

      Delete
  10. Yes, I do want to read this one. SO adding it to my wishlist. The characters sound like fun. I want to see how Asher gets himself into and out of trouble. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you will sure see then ;)
      Yay, fantasy rocks

      Delete
  11. But don't they use this same cover only in different colors for the rest of the series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other cover is similar from what I remember and red, I think it's like when you put the spines together it forms one man...need to check

      Delete
  12. Oh I love when you crack open a book and from the first page realize you are going to like it..woot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to get to reading this author. I do. I need time. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm. There is a polish book about a witcher that I really want to read. *Sighs* Too bad there is no English translation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know the...eh I can't spell his name, where is Ana when I need her. But yes I have read book 1 and in English. Check again

      Delete
    2. Ah. lol. Maybe I can order it online or something...there is nothing at any of the two library districts I'm a part of. LOL.

      Delete
    3. I think that another book has been translated too

      Delete
  15. I like characters who speak their mind, even if it gets them into trouble. I have a feeling I'm going to like Asher. :-) And yes, I also am a fan of hooded mages/assassins, etc. They're very striking and mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say no to a cover like that ;)

      I think I like them cos I could never ever be like that

      Delete
  16. Different looking cover. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good cover - makes me want to know more about him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another 'Aussie' author I've been meaning to read, thanks for the reminder lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she is Aussie? I did not know, look at me, reading a lot of AU authors :D

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP