Friday 24 January 2014

Review: River Road - Jayne Ann Krentz

It’s been thirteen years since Lucy Sheridan was in Summer River. The last time she visited her aunt Sara there, as a teenager, she’d been sent home suddenly after being dragged out of a wild party—by the guy she had a crush on, just to make it more embarrassing. Obviously Mason Fletcher—only a few years older but somehow a lot more of a grown-up—was the overprotective type who thought he had to come to her rescue.

Now, returning after her aunt’s fatal car accident, Lucy is learning there was more to the story than she realized at the time. Mason had saved her from a very nasty crime that night—and soon afterward, Tristan, the cold-blooded rich kid who’d targeted her, disappeared mysteriously, his body never found.

A lot has changed in thirteen years. But Mason is still a protector at heart, a serious (and seriously attractive) man. And when he and Lucy make a shocking discovery inside Sara’s house, and some of Tristan’s old friends start acting suspicious, Mason’s quietly fierce instincts kick into gear. He saved Lucy once, and he’ll save her again. But this time, she insists on playing a role in her own rescue . . .

My thoughts:
This was my first Krentz book (but I have read some of her historicals long ago). I liked this tale of murder and suspense, because a good book keeps me guessing and this one certainly had. I really should stick with one suspect and not change my mind all the time, that way I would be right once in a while ;)

The books begins in the past when a dark act is stopped. And then it's 13 years later and Lucy returns to Summer River. Her aunt has been killed in a car accident..or has she? Lucy also inherited some shares in a company and they sure want those back. The events from 13 years ago comes back to haunt her and throws shadows on everything. Something is rotten in the city of Summer River.

Lucy can take care of herself and sure she does poke around where she shouldn't. But she is not stupid about it. She does have help whether she wants it or not. Mason Fletcher, the same guy who saved her those years ago. He does like playing the hero, and their romance takes some time to develop cos yes they both have some issues. But they can both  laugh about it and they do seem like a good fit.

Conclusion:
The suspense is always there and the closer they get the more dangerous it becomes. I do like a good hunt for a killer.

Cover
Could be much better

Hardcover, 352 pages
Published January 7th 2014 by Putnam Adult
Romantic suspense
For review

35 comments:

  1. Oh, I love a good murder mystery and thriller! I think I'll have to add this to my list! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hunt was good, I love when it keeps me guessing

      Delete
  2. I've read several Krentz books, but it's been a while. Maybe I should give this one a try,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read mine ages ago...I can't even remember what it was

      Delete
  3. I have seen this one around and I am always up for a good mystery but not one that is too dark and gory. The cover could have been much better... kind of weak for you.. You should have said the cover looks like the car is going to hurl off the cliff....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not too dark and not gory, I do not like that either.

      Yeah I do not know what's up with it, just cheap looking.

      Well her aunt's car did go that way

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of this author before but I really enjoy this genre and will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have mostly see other reviews by her, in different genres so nice that I too got to try one now

      Delete
  5. These don't always have a good romance, so it is nice to hear that this one is a good fit. I agree though.. need a better cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just too cheap.

      I would not say an awesome romance, but it still worked for me ;) They had their issues and slowly got together

      Delete
  6. I love this author's work, but I haven't read anything in a long time. This sounds really good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds pretty good!
    Is it me or is your avatar changing??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having chrome issues so it's a pain to reply to comments, so I use firefox and there I am logged in under another gmail account ;)

      Delete
  8. Hmm, it looks like the road on the cover goes right into the water. o_O I've never read her before, but I do enjoy suspense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just very weird, I get that the road is dangerous but it looks all bleh

      Delete
  9. Love her books but the cover is kinda weak. Not my favorite of hers for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like her books, I have many but I still need to go back to more I think. I'm glad this one was good, I don't think it's one I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm, I may have to pass up on this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a great suspenseful mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely review B, I hope to read this one soon myself. I am a big JAK fan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do enjoy my suspense books especially the ones that keep you guessing until the very end :D I do that too... switch suspects, I don't even know how many times I come out more wrong then right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I switch and then switch and then I do not even know what I think

      Delete
  15. I love mysteries that keep you guessing, and I'm always changing my mind when guessing who the suspect is too, I'm sure I'll be doing the same when I read it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read one of her Arcane Society novels and liked it. This one sounds good but that's an ugly cover haha

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP