Thursday 16 January 2014

Review: Scent of Butterflies - Dora Levy Mossanen

Such audacity she has, Soraya, a woman who dares to break free of the diamond-studded leash of her culture. A woman who refuses to accept the devastating betrayal her husband has perpetrated. A woman who refuses to forgive her best friend.

Soraya turns her back on Iran, fleeing to America to plot her intricate revenge. The Shah has fallen, her country is in turmoil, her marriage has crumbled, and she is unraveling. The cruel and intimate blow her husband has dealt her awakens an obsessive streak that explodes in the heated world of Los Angeles.

Yet the secret Soraya discovers proves far more devastating than anything she had imagined, unleashing a whirlwind of unexpected events that will leave the reader breathless.

My thoughts:
There is something about the way this book is written, I have come across books like this before and I have always enjoyed them. But to explain what it is in the writing I like, that I just can't. It is jumpy and one would think that would be bad, but cos of the way it's written it works. It's like I am always in her mind, being sad, confused, angry, thinking about certain events in her life, missing her husband, hearing his voice. It is the writing that makes it excellent.

Soraya, there was this one event where I was all noo! But at the same time I was all yes! And yes won. Feelings are complex, I can't say much more about it. But I enjoyed reading about her life after she left with a broke heart, and I enjoyed the flashbacks cos it was so alien. How after the revolution they went from dancing and wearing makeup to being scared. Because the morality police looked through windows and if they saw you in the street and a single strand of hair was shown they were there with razor blades. But she loved her country, the scents, the food, the life. 

Conclusion:
An interesting book about love, life and revenge. I want to see if her other books are written with the same style.

Cover
Ok


Paperback, 282 pages
Published January 7th 2014 by Sourcebooks Landmark
Fiction
for review


35 comments:

  1. Wow...sounds really good. That writing style does seem to be a delicate thing. If its not done right, the book will be a disaster

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...interesting. Sounds good -- but if the writing doesn't click, it can be frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm completely in love with the cover, and as a huge fan of peculiar writing styles, I'm adding this to my GoodReads TBR right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't put my finger on what it was, but it was something

      Delete
  4. I love stories where I really feel like I'm inside the character's head. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better than feeling like I am standing outside the window looking in ;)

      Delete
  5. You have me curious about the writing, glad you enjoyed it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am curious about the writing as well. you know I am sucker for great writing so this would be one I should check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do check it out, maybe you can tell me what enchanted me, lol

      Delete
  7. We all have a style of writing that just fits like a glove, I know what you mean

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a wonderfully written book, and your review has me curious to see whether this storytelling style would work for me. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do say check it out, only then you will know :)

      Delete
  9. Oh this sounds so interesting. I know what you mean, that some elements often don't work in other books, just work when the author knows how to write it. You have me curious about this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on there. I do love when an author makes it work, and when it does not work, yeah then I give up

      Delete
  10. Sometimes that style of writing works for me and sometimes it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Almost Friday! IS Friday for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like it could be a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you enjoyed it B, not my cup of tea though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like this one had your feelings kind of all over the place which I always like. Beautiful cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. th writing intrigues me mainly like you describe it. I'm sorry if I didn't comment a lot this week it was my exams and well it was difficult to follow everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your exams went well! And I do get that :)

      Delete
  16. Thanks for putting this one on my radar. It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP