Monday 20 January 2014

Review: The Silversmith's Wife - Sophia Tobin

The year is 1792 and it's winter in Berkeley Square. As the city sleeps, the night-watchman keeps a cautious eye over the streets, and another eye in the back doors of the great and the good. Then one fateful night he comes across the body of Pierre Renard, the eponymous silversmith, lying dead, his throat cut and his valuables missing. It could be common theft, committed by one of the many villains who stalk the square, but as news of the murder spreads, it soon becomes clear that Renard had more than a few enemies, all with their own secrets to hide. At the centre of this web is Mary, the silversmith's wife. Ostensibly theirs was an excellent pairing, but behind closed doors their relationship was a dark and at times sadistic one and when we meet her, Mary is withdrawn and weak, haunted by her past and near-mad with guilt. Will she attain the redemption she seeks and what, exactly, does she need redemption for…? 

Rich, intricate and beautifully told, this is a story of murder, love and buried secrets.

My thoughts:
I always do like historical mysteries and this one had me guessing. Because at times it pointed towards someone, and then someone else and then I wondered again. In the end I always suspect everyone.

The book starts with a murder. Pierre Renard, a silvesmith, that was not that liked it seems in the end. He leaves behind his wife Mary, she was a wreck of nerves and had not been treated right by him.

At the beginning of every chapter we also get a page from his diary and see what really was going on with him and how much he hated his wife. Yeah, I really did not like hím.

Other Povs are Digby who found the body and investigates who did it. Then there are Mary's sister, the people who worked for Renard, his best friend and new people that comes into the story. Another POV are the Chishesters who commissioned some work from him and they deal with their own issues and his death of course. It all comes together in a fine woven plot.

Conclusion:
Good characters, a nice plot and nicely done murder plot. I enjoyed it.

Cover
Ok

Hardcover, 400 pages
Published January 16th 2014 by Simon & Schuster UK
Historical mystery
For review


22 comments:

  1. I love when a book is like that, when you're trying to understand who the culprit it and you're always surprised at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrome is being a little bitch so commenting with my other account ;)

      I was all.. 0_0 cool!

      Delete
  2. This one is screaming "read me" Love the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a winner. I've been needing a good murder mystery. You might have me picking up a cozy. I also like it when multi POVs work in a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh a cozy! I did brave those in the fall *beams with pride*

      Delete
  4. Oh I love good historical mysteries. The journal thing could go either way for me, sometimes I love them and sometimes I hate them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good move here, cos it was the way we got to know his life and he had secrets

      Delete
  5. Oo sounds good. I haven't read too many historical mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normal mysteries, eh. historicals yay :D

      Delete
  6. Historical mysteries are indeed curious to read because I would like yo know how they managed to solve complex cases with almost no technology. Definitely not CSI lOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea, but then again many more innocent people were killed and put in jail then. But i guess they managed some at least

      Delete
  7. From the cover, I'd guess it was about the watchmaker's wife. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it sounds like he deserved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pierre sounds pretty awful, but I'm glad to hear the murder mystery was well done. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was, I did not know how bad, but I got to know

      Delete
  10. I think my next book to read will be a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love historical mysteries too. This one sounds great.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP