Wednesday 8 January 2014

Early Review: The Splendour Falls - Susanna Kearsley

1205 - the town of Chinon is beseiged by enemies of King John, and his young Queen calls upon a trusted servant to conceal her treasured jewels.

Emily Braden is intrigued by the medieval story of Queen Isabelle, and cannot resist when her cousin Harry, a historian, suggests a trip to the white-walled town of Chinon, nestling in France's Loire Valley. But when Harry vanishes and Emily begins to search for him, she stumbles across another intriguing mystery -- a second Isabelle, a chambermaid during the Second World War, who had her own tragedy, and her own treasure to hide.

As Emily explores the ancient town of labyrinthine tunnels, old enmities, and new loves, she finds herself drawn ever closer to the mysterious Isabelles and their long-kept secrets.

My thoughts:
This was my favorite Kearsley book to date, there was just something over it. The atmosphere, the French city of Chinon, the mystery, it all fell into place.

As often with Kearsley books there are more than 1 story. Though the the 2 other stories only get a few pages here and there. First we have Isabelle, the wife of King John, and during the siege of the Castle of Chinon she hides a treasure. During WWII a second Isabelle has her own share of tragedy.

The main story is about Emily who comes to Chinon because her cousin Henry is set on finding the missing treasure. And there we have the perfect setting of Chinon, and the guests of the hotel she is staying at. Lots of strange and fun people. And there might also be a chance of romance, but that is not the focus. That is on the mystery around the two Isabelle's and things are getting dangerous at the end.

Conclusion:
I liked all the characters and the mystery. And well all the revelations we get. It was well written and it kept me reading and reading.

cover
eh

Paperback, 384 pages
Expected publication: January 14th 2014 by "Sourcebooks Landmark" (first published December 7th 1995)
Fiction / Historical Fiction / mystery
For review

34 comments:

  1. HAPPY NEW YEAR, Linda :D

    The plot caught my attention and your review made me add this book on my GR wishlist, Linda. The story sounds a bit similiar to the wonderful and touching story in Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly. Give it a go if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year!!!
      I do remember seeing that book around but as I have not read it I can't say

      Delete
  2. hmm... these are not the time periods I generally read about, but you definitely make it sound like an interesting read! And I've heard good things about Kearsley's writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not much about it as most of the book takes place in modern time

      Delete
  3. Ooo pretty cover on this one! Glad it was your favorite of this author's to date!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd read this for the setting alone and the plot with it's historical references sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting was splendid, I did not know I love France that much

      Delete
  5. I bought several titles by her last Christmas during the Sourcebooks Christmas promotion and I really need to read one. If this is your fav, maybe I will start with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there was a promotion? Oh well I can't buy from those anyway. And yes this is a good one to start one. Though i have not read all of her books :/

      Delete
  6. I just adore stories from this period! Honestly, I've never heard of this author, but this is certainly something I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good mystery set in a time period I'm fascinated with. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed this, and that it's your favorite of the author's! Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was :D Now if I only could read those from her backlist I have missed

      Delete
  8. You have me looking out for her books! I even have a couple on my tbr by her b/c of you! Looks like I just added another to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yet another author I need to try. This sounds like it might be a good one to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo this sounds wonderful from the setting to the mystery. Do you know I think I may own some of her books *runs off to look*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting. Mmmm. I do really like when authors mix time periods together and show how they are connected.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! I love her books and now I can't wait to read this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your favorite Kearsley! I need to move this one up in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just bought this at Barnes & Noble a couple of days ago. Can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP