Thursday 13 February 2014

The Secret Kiss of Darkness - Christina Courtenay

Must forbidden love end in heartbreak?
Kayla Sinclair knows she’s in big trouble when she almost bankrupts herself to buy a life-size portrait of a mysterious eighteenth century man at an auction.

Jago Kerswell, inn-keeper and smuggler, knows there is danger in those stolen moments with Lady Eliza Marcombe, but he’ll take any risk to be with her.

Over two centuries separate Kayla and Jago, but when Kayla’s jealous fiancé presents her with an ultimatum, and Jago and Eliza’s affair is tragically discovered, their lives become inextricably linked thanks to a gypsy’s spell. Kayla finds herself on a quest that could heal the past, but what she cannot foresee is the danger in her own future.

Will Kayla find heartache or happiness?

My thoughts:
I liked this one because fates intertwined are always fun ;)

Right so we got two stories. First the tragic love story of Eliza and Jago. So why is it tragic? She is married and he is an innkeeper (and the bastard brother of her husband). They meet, the fall in love. All set in the late 1700s.

In modern time we have Kayla who is about to get married and buys a portrait of a handsome man. And that causes her a bunch of problems, with her fiance, with life in general. She needs to find out what happened back then, and maybe, just maybe she will get a HEA of her own (of course she will! Would I steer you guys wrong?)

So we have that love story and Kayla trying to find some answers. There is even a bit of suspense at the end. And yes of course there is a bit of romance too.

Conclusion:
I liked how it all came together.

Cover
I like it more the more I stare

Paperback, 336 pages
Expected print US publication: March 15th 2014 by Choc Lit (ebook out)
Romantic Fiction / Women's fiction
For review

--------------
Btw check this out, more details here and I will have my post up tomorrow




44 comments:

  1. I love stories like this! A little magic to make it even more romantic. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic is the best, I wish there was magic

      Delete
  2. Always a fan of getting two romances in one book, even if one is of the tragic variety:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the cover is pretty too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really sounds wonderful. I like when they have two stories like this. The cover is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fates intertwined def does sound like a fun read

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does sound like a nice romance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually don't like books set in two different time periods, but this seems to be very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, because of the connection *whistles*

      Delete
  8. It doesn't sound like a HEA is possible but I trust you lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love books set in two different time periods (Lauren Willig is the queen of this) and how they blend together. The past always will have an influence of the future and present

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Willig, I need to read her! I do know you love her :)

      Delete
  10. Oh yes, I like a book that has a good historical mystery blended with modern day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If well done then yes it sure is good and she managed that

      Delete
  11. I love when story lines merge together well and love stories with mystery, modern times, and history sound right up my alley. Great review!(:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a fun mix of romance & fate. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That cover does capture the eye more and more...and I love stories with two time lines like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First I was meh, then eh then, hm.lol, you get it

      Delete
  14. I agree with you, fate books are always nice to read mainly when it's well done. thanks for the discovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then most live happily ever after, that I need

      Delete
  15. Sounds like an intriguing story. Now I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always wanted to ruin myself for a piece of art. No luck so far - just shoes ;p. (the previous post I had to delete bc of a very hilarious typo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you deleted it! Evil, I want to see it ;)

      Delete
  18. Thank you very much for all these lovely comments and thank you for the review - so pleased you liked it! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds really good and I love the two periods and fates intertwining..sold

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds good. I just need to find the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is evil, we need to stop time and make me able to read and read and read

      Delete
  21. Very nice cover, very intriguing review! Thanks B!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh sounds like a book I would enjoy. Hadn't heard of this one before!

    ReplyDelete
  23. you got me interested and I like the cover a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love getting two different time periods and fate intertwined. I love Christina's guest post and already wanted to read this after that, but now I'm even more excited to give it a try! Lovely review (and yes, that cover is prettier the more I look at it)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just me with the cover then :)

      And yes the smugglers post was intersting

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP