Friday 14 March 2014

Blood and Iron - Jon Sprunk

It starts with a shipwreck following a magical storm at sea. Horace, a soldier from the west, had joined the Great Crusade against the heathens of Akeshia after the deaths of his wife and son from plague. When he washes ashore, he finds himself at the mercy of the very people he was sent to kill, who speak a language and have a culture and customs he doesn't even begin to understand.

Not long after, Horace is pressed into service as a house slave. But this doesn't last. The Akeshians discover that Horace was a latent sorcerer, and he is catapulted from the chains of a slave to the halls of power in the queen's court. Together with Jirom, an ex-mercenary and gladiator, and Alyra, a spy in the court, he will seek a path to free himself and the empire's caste of slaves from a system where every man and woman must pay the price of blood or iron. Before the end, Horace will have paid dearly in both.

My thoughts:
Ok let me explain this one as, European like crusader is shipwrecked and ends up on eastern enemy lands. But this East is a mix of every culture, old and older and well made up :)

Right so we have Horace, who becomes a slave but then they see he has magic and he is saved. His country does not have magic just over zealous priests so this is new to him. But he slowly finds his way.

Then we have Jirom, another slave turned gladiator and who is sold yet again. Poor guy. But he mostly fought and fought so I was never really in his head a lot.

Last we have Alyra, a slave and spy who spies for another country. With her comes questions, what is going on? Seems to be a lot of city states in this empire. Then the neigbors wants control too (because the empire is evil), and then we have the idiot priests that wants to take over too. So everyone wants something, and all our players may not always realise what they are fighting for.

Conclusion:
Magic, an old eastern touch and that is just the beginning. I really do not have an idea how this will all turn out. That is the problem when many countries are at war and there are priests, arghh those priests!

Cover
ok

Paperback, 428 pages
Published March 11th 2014 by Pyr
The Book of the Black Earth #1
Fantasy
For review

33 comments:

  1. I think I'll wait for second book to decide about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a good move, I have suffered through plenty of book 2 syndrome

      Delete
  2. I'm still trying to understand the magical rules in Anne Bishop's The Black Jewels trilogy. I don't think my brain can hold any more right now, so I'm gonna hold off on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer to call him magical expat of DESTINY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lot of tension in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slaves and more slaves, I like the gladiator part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this one too, liked it well enough that I want to read the second. A sword and sorcery Spartacus, I can go for that! :)

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, that part was pretty cool, and I kicked myself for not realizing that this series takes places in the same world as his other one

      Delete
  7. Hm... I may wait to see how things pan out. Still, it sounds like it has potential!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes things done in the name of religion, be it in the real world or in a book, makes me wish that religion was never invented in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm curious to see how everything will turn out and I hope it will be a good surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I'm gonna wait and see how this one goes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like the cover though. Understated but nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I saw heads, you know me and heads

      Delete
  12. A shipwreck and a magical storm at sea? Sounds like a good start to a series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL I think I'd be thoroughly confused! That says more about me than the book ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow there are so many slaves in this book, but at least they have their own motivations, and I'm curious to know more about this magical storm at sea too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they have, and I am glad, cos they really should fight it

      Delete
  15. Really!?! YOU READ IT ALREADY!!! Dang. I'm behind. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooh the priests. They should preach peace not war. Sighs.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP