Sunday 23 March 2014

Carole Reviews: The Secrets of Casanova - Greg Michaels

Author: Greg Michaels

Title: The Secrets of Casanova
Genre: Historical Fiction, Mystery, and Adventure
Pages: ebook
First Published: October 19th, 2013 
Where I Got It: Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion. 



"Paris of 1755 is bloated with opportunity. That’s the way Jacques Casanova, an unredeemed adventurer with an ever-surging appetite for pleasure, needs it. But times, men, and gods are changing—and Jacques’ luck is fading. When he is thrust to the center of a profound mystery, he doesn't ask if vice or virtue leads him onward. “After all,” he declares, “a man who asks himself too many questions is an unhappy man.” But as Jacques’ challenges mount, what questions will he ask? What price must he pay to uncover a treasure of inestimable value? Loosely based on Casanova’s life of intrigue, danger, and passion, The Secret's of Casanova will keep you burning the midnight oil."


Like earlier stated, I was given this book for my honest and unbiased opinion. 


Ooooooooooooooooooh Casanova! WHAT A ROGUE! However, one can resist his charms even in a book. Greg Michaels truly did his homework on Mr. Casanova. I feel this is the closet representation of the man (from what I know and believe) that I know of. The movie did an okay job, but this book really painted the man wonderfully. Yes, he was a gambler and a lover, but he was also smart. He was a philosopher and technically had a degree in being a lawyer. He was also and foremost and adventurer. 


The adventure that we are taken on was exciting and I was addicted! I needed to know what the next clue was and even though I had a deep foreboding (which would be come true twice over) about what was going to happen, I still plummeted forward, because I needed to know just as badly as Casanova did. The ending did make me mad, BUUUUT I seen it coming. I also understand the symbolism and WHY the author ended it the way he did. Still though...I was not a happy camper and it was a small let down (at least for me...one might see it differently).


The beginning was a little slow, but it was indeed the calm before the storm. Enjoy the slowness, because after a couple of chapters things EXPLODE and the adventure begins. I'm glad the author didn't just jump into the adventure. 


Poor Dominique...can't say much, but I truly connected with her and I felt bad....sighs.

In the end, this was a fun and exciting book. Even though the ending was a small let down for me (personally), I see the wisness and the symbolism behind it. The beginning was a little slow, but it was necessary and I liked it. I recommend this to those who like their historical fiction mixed with some mystery and adventure. I shall stamp this with 4 stars. 



Favorite Character(s): Casanova and Dominique 

Not-so Favorite Character(s): Petrine and Quentin 



28 comments:

  1. A mystery/adventure novel about Cassanova! Where do you find these things? I want it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casanova! *swoon* this sounds delightful and I love that you shared it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Everyone loves Casanova. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. It's not really my genre, but I do love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this book. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Tis a good book. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it! I don't think I've read one with Cassanova before. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Same here....this was a first for me.

      Delete
  6. I did read one historical fiction book with Casanova as a character and that was good. This sounds better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It prolly is because Casanova is the star of this one!

      Delete
  7. Sounds great! I had to click on this review when I saw the name - I'm completely fascinated. :) Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It was pretty good. I'm glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  8. I don't think I saw the movie but it must be nice to read the book after that. And I agree with you the character is really interesting, I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't decide what I liked best; the movie or book.

      Delete
  9. Very interesting cover, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! I love a good adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just going to put it out there that I have no idea who Casanova was...I have a feeling that's pretty terrible lol I enjoyed the review though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it's okay you're not the only one. I knew of him thanks to the Heath Ledger movie. xD

      Delete
    2. I haven't heard of the movie either which surprises me because I enjoy Heath ledger's movies. Must have been under a rock at the time lol

      Delete
  11. Great review Carole! I did enjoy the movie, many years ago ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I must re-watch the movie....its been a while for me.

      Delete
  12. The Secrets of Casanova sounds wonderful. Gotta love Casanova.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will try to keep the ending in mind. I was given this book for review a while back and I must still read it. I hope I will enjoy it as you did!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP