Saturday 22 March 2014

Mishel reviews: Find Momo



Thousands of Internet fans play hide-and-seek with Momo the border collie every day, and now you can, too. Momo and his best buddy Andrew Knapp have traveled all over—through fields, down country roads, across cities, and into yards, neighborhoods, and surreal spaces of all sorts. The result is a book of spectacular photography that’s also a game you can play anytime. Lose yourself in page after page of Andrew’s beautiful, serene, dreamlike images, and sooner or later you’ll find Momo’s sweet, eager face looking back at you. (Can’t find him? Don’t worry…the answers are in the back.)

Andrew Knapp is a freelance interface designer and photographer from northern Ontario who desires to make everyday routines into creative adventures. Along with his commercial photography and design work, he’s filmed a TEDx Talk, collaborated on an Instamissions project with MTV and Sony, and cofounded the We Live Up Here collaboration exploring life in Sudbury, Ontario.

Momo is an adorable black-and-white, brown-eyed border collie, Andrew’s BFF, and a genius at hiding. Together they’re an Instagram phenomenon, bringing smiles to over 100,000 followers who never miss their chance to try to find Momo.

Dog lovers, photography buffs, and all readers in general will fall in love with Momo and his human sidekick, Andrew Knapp. This dynamic duo has been hiding-and-seeking through Instagram (http://instagram.com/andrewknapp) for quite some time. I remember seeing an article years ago when Andrew first started posting photographs featuring his beloved border collie. His photography is beautiful by itself – unique places, gorgeous landscapes, peaceful and bustling spaces. The bonus part with this photography book is finding Momo hidden somewhere in each photograph! And if you somehow can’t find him within the pictures featured within don’t fret – there’s an answer key in the back!

What I really love about this book is how inspirational it is. With every photograph I felt the need to travel to places I’ve never been but have always wanted to visit. I wanted to go to any and all places that I’ve only seen in pictures and only dreamed of going. I tend to get like that anytime I look at fantastic photography but pair the stunning images with Momo’s beloved face and a new sense of longing comes to mind. I had a border collie years ago and I know all too well the loving spirit these dogs possess. But you don’t have know the breed personally to know how magical the human and dog bond can be. That magic comes through these photos and through Andrew’s few pieces of writing in the book. The love shared between them is abundantly clear and really great to be a part of.

I loved the inclusion of an answer key. I’m not tooting my own horn but I found Momo in every photo! (TOOT TOOT) Although I was stumped on a few pictures it’s easy to spot Momo’s charming, furry face. I almost became automatically drawn to him as soon as I turned the page. I also enjoyed the fact that Andrew included where each photo was taken – in case one feels the need to travel to those very places (like yours truly)! The tiny snippets of personal information about Momo and his relationship with Andrew was a wonderful addition that added a sweet and relatable touch to the entire book. I would have loved more writing but this is a photography book after all. 
Find Momo has found a permanent home on my bookshelf. I even asked my other half if he had heard of Andrew and Momo and as I handed him the book he quickly got lost in the game of hide and seek. This book can serve as a great gift or just a simple reminder that the love of dogs, photography, travel, and friendship can shine through and spread happiness with just a turn of a page.

5/5

Find Momo by Andrew Knapp
Published March 4, 2014 by Quirk Books
Paperback, 144 pages
Tags: Art, Photography, Non-fiction, Animals -Dogs
Received for review




18 comments:

  1. awwwwwww. Such a cute find! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a cute book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Definitely, I hope you get a chance to look through a copy =)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I know Lorna! It's creative, fun, and can really inspire the audience =)

      Delete
  5. Oh I'm glad you enjoyed it that much, it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melliane, it definitely was good.

      Delete
  6. Aww adorable!! I'm a dog lover and photography buff so it sounds perfect for me :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP