Monday 3 March 2014

The Moon Sisters - Therese Walsh

A beautiful coming-of-age novel about two sisters on a journey to forgive their troubled mother, with a sheen of almost-magical realism that overlays a story about the love of a family, and especially between sisters.

Therese Walsh's poignant and mesmerizing novel is a moving tale of family, love, and the power of stories. After their mother's probable suicide, sisters Olivia and Jazz are figuring out how to move on with their lives. Jazz, logical and forward-thinking, decides to get a new job, but spirited, strong-willed Olivia, who can see sounds, taste words, and smell sights, is determined to travel to the remote setting of their mother's unfinished novel to say her final goodbyes and lay their mother's spirit to rest.

Though they see things very differently, Jazz is forced by her sense of duty to help Olivia reach her goal. Bitter and frustrated by the attention heaped on her sunny sister whose world is so unique, Jazz is even more upset when they run into trouble along the way and Olivia latches to a worldly train-hopper. Though Hobbs warns Olivia that he's a thief who shouldn't be trusted, he agrees to help with their journey. As they near their destination, the tension builds between the two sisters, each hiding something from the other, and they will finally be forced to face everything between them and decide what is really important.

My thoughts:
There was a bittersweet sadness to this book. It's about loss, death and moving through the stages of grief. In one way or another.

Oliva is 18, Jazz 22. Their mother just killed herself. Their father started drinking. Olivia can smell colors and stuff, and has almost blinded herself looking at the sun. Jazz, thinks she is the only normal one. They are now a messed up family who can't bare to deal with the loss.

The story is told with flashbacks and with the story of course moving forward. It's also told in a letters their mother wrote. The book is about a journey Olivia sets out on, to get her mother's ashes to a special place her mother never dared to go. And Jazz goes after her.

They move through their sorrow, they get angry, they find closure. The journey also take a darker turn, who can you really trust? Something is hidden in the shadows and we get that story too.

I know it sounds like it's so sad, but it was not sad at all. It was life and moving on, the sad part was already over.

Conclusion:
I enjoyed this book, and I liked how it showed grief, and love.

Cover
works

Hardcover, 336 pages
Expected publication: March 4th 2014 by Crown
Fiction,
For review

48 comments:

  1. This sounds really good but it might be too sad for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a mood read for sure. I always have to be in the right mood to tackle darker, heavier stories like this! Glad you enjoyed it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did do well that it was not too heavy, death was just there, never sad, at least for me

      Delete
  3. This sounds interesting and I love the different methods used to relate the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds a bit too sad for my taste. I think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have said it was not SAD, just...sad-ish

      Delete
  5. I love your new header!

    I love lit fiction like this. Somber and melancholy, gets me thinking and warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't sounds like one I want to read - too sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not up for a sad book until spring is really here. I am already depressed enough. I only wish I could look at the sun right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eh... I think not for me. Need something a bit more uplifting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a very emotional read but a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This might be a good contemporary for me. I still hate to cry so I hope it isn't that sad, but I'm thinking it is... :( Still, might be one I would end up enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm rarely in the mood for these types of darker novels, but when I am, I'll be sure to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear this showed grief and emotion without being too sad of a read. I'll have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad sad is well just plain sad. But here they moved on

      Delete
  13. it sounds like an intense book but beutifully done. I didn't know this one but you're right when it's done like that it's always really interesting even if it breaks our heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't say it broke my heart, some things are just meant to be

      Delete
  14. I say a rainy day is good, lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. My type of book! it's been doing the blog rounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to check this one out. Books about moving past something seem hopeful to me, and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is hopeful. I liked how they moved on and maybe to better things, with hope

      Delete
  17. The bittersweet emotions and dealing with grief makes this sound like something I would like to read

    ReplyDelete
  18. Huh. Never heard of this one, but it sounds very heart-wrenching. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This does sound nice, and I like bittersweet stories like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. sounds very emotional and deep. Interesting story, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My copy arrived a few days ago, yay! I love bittersweet tales.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really hate this genre. So not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is on my list to read!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been curious about this one. Glad to see you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds depressing...but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP