Sunday 20 April 2014

3 Reviews in 1: Rebekah Turner, Jill Myles, Penny Watson

Lora Blackgoat, smuggler and mercenary, has been lying low after a job gone bad made her a laughing stock in the industry. When a childhood friend turns to her for help, Lora leaps to restore her reputation and starts hunting a killer who is stalking the gas-lit streets.

She never expects that her path will lead her to the Order of Guides, a sadistic militant religious organisation - or to Roman, a deadly and dangerously attractive half-angel warrior who also hunts the killer.

When Lora discovers that the killer has broken fundamental laws of magic to enter the city, she also uncovers a conspiracy that leads back into her own dark past.

My thoughts:
I am going to try for really short, I know I say that sometimes, but, ok really short:

1.) Reasons you chose this book
The cover looks kick-ass, and it was free.

2.) Reasons you liked or disliked this book
It was a pretty cool world, even if the world was never really explained. So I guess some sort of other dimension to our world and there were humans and otherkin...yes I would have liked to know more about the world. Anyway, cool heroine, a hunt for a killer and a good premise.

But maybe it was because I read it over a month, I was never really hooked. Still good.

3.) Reasons you are recommending this book
If you like UF in another world.

Cover
I'd like a head still cool

ebook, 331 pages
Published November 14th 2012 by Escape Publishing (first published November 13th 2012)
Chronicles from the Applecross #1
Urban fantasy with other genres in there
Own

When a car accident takes Leah Sunderland's life, she finds herself in dire need of divine assistance. Her fairy godmother comes to the rescue, but her help comes with conditions. As a fairy godmother, the only assistance she can offer deals with (you guessed it) fairy tales. To win a second chance at life, Leah must play out the tale of The Little Mermaid.

Armed with a mermaid tail and nothing else (not even a voice!), she has one month to make a nobleman fall in love with her, or else she'll die permanently. But the nobleman she must seduce is a hard, fierce warlord who thinks she's a spy and the mistress of his enemy.

Can she win him over before the thirty days are up? Or is she in danger of losing her heart as well as her life?

My thoughts:
A fun sexy novella,

Characters:
Leah, goes from our time to Medieval times, and becomes half mermaid thanks to a spell. Poor girl can't speak either when out of water. So that causes some issues.

Royce, honestly creepy at times, sure he is always nice, but the things he says. But then times, the situation, I got it. But...ok anyway I got over it and wanted them together.

A fast romance as if she does not get him to love her she dies. Throw in a an evil lord who wants the castle, the spell that makes her crave the water and some sexy times and this is what you get.

Fun!

Cover
It works for me

Kindle Edition, 174 pages
Published August 28th 2011 by www.jillmyles.com
Once Upon a Time-Travel #3
Time-travel romance
Own

City slicker Ami Jordan was just dumped by her back-stabbing boyfriend, has no job prospects, and can't find a decent cup of coffee in the entire state of Vermont. The last thing she needs is a sexy, bearded lumberjack complicating her life. Even if he’s smart, talented, and has the hottest ass she’s ever seen.

Tree house builder, environmental champion, and Bulldog owner Marcus Anderson has no patience for flatlanders with an attitude. But when landscape designer Ami Jordan shows up at his log cabin, he suddenly develops a hankering for a high-maintenance city gal. Now his house looks like a jungle, his recycling is in disarray, and his libido's on fire. 

He's a lumberjack in love.

My thoughts:
Ok I might just understand the author's beard obsession now ;) She sure makes Marcus sound so hot *wipes away some drool*

Ami and Marcus are both great characters. There is lust, there is playing and I believe that they fall for each other.

A bit of hot monkey sex on the porch.

A bit of humour.

And you have a "lumberjack" and a city slicker falling for each other, but then having to have to decide also what they want. So insert a tiny bit of drama and then this is the cake you get ;)

Oh and the new cover is soooooo much better. I have to show it to you guys.

Cover
Yeah no, but the other one is good

Kindle Edition, 114 pages
Published September 2012 by Penny Watson
http://www.pennywatsonbooks.com/lumberjackinlove.htm
Lumberjack in Love #1
Contemporary romance
Own



34 comments:

  1. Lovely reviews, Linda! I admit I felt the same about Turner. Bought it months ago, started reading and then put it away. It didn't grab my attention. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did finish it but yes a month 0_0 I wanted to know how it ended but it never impressed

      Delete
  2. I have Chaos Born, so I'll probably read it, I don't know about The Mermaid's Knight b/c I haven't had much luck with mermaids in general (and novellas aren't my favorite), and I added Lumberjack in Love (even though it's a novella) b/c it sounds HOT ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, but yes I know what you mean about novellas. I am slooowly getting over my aversion against novellas. These luckily worked and yes they do work better when they are longer ;)

      The mermaid one, well she is only mermaid at night if she sneaks out

      Delete
  3. Chaos Born does have a great cover, but sorry to hear that you never really were hooked

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all sound so good! But I especially want to read the second one more so then the other two. :D Happy Easter BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter :D Do not eat too much choco ;)

      Delete
  5. I must learn how to write short reviews ;p.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are hard, but then my usual ones are not that long either so it's even harder

      Delete
  6. They all sound pretty good. The Lumberjack in Love second cover is 100 times better than the first cover. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first cover is really attention getting. The comic-style cover for the Lumberjack book = FAIL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah big fail there, I am glad a second was made

      Delete
  8. Im up for the mermaid sexy times one haha. But the others mmm not so much. And right whats with the chopped off head not digging it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been better with it there, but they save money like that

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you liked Lumberjack in Love. It was so cute. I have a review coming up for another novella by her. I really enjoy how fun her stories are.

    As for The Mermaid's Knight. It sounds weird but usually I can let a lot go when it comes to a novella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right the apple book? I can't wait to see what you think.

      The mermaid one was really fun and...weird, lol

      Delete
  10. LOL at those covers. What's with the cut off heads? And the second one with the photoshopped dolphin fin to the woman made me chuckle :D

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, it does look weird but I can forgive it :)

      As for the head, I have been told it's cheaper without the head

      Delete
  11. oh I love when you do many little reviews. I only read book 1, well you know me and UF lol. I agree with you the only problem is the questions we have about the world and it continues in book2 but it is a really fun series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoy them :D

      I kind of want to read more, but if I get no answers there either....

      Delete
  12. I'm not a fan of beards or any kind of facial hair... but Lumberjack in Love sounds fun. The others sound good too. I want them all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lumberjack Love sounds like something I have to check out, if only for the title! Love the cover of the first book too, it makes me want to pick it up. And The Mermaid's Knight just sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes the title is fun and you really should pick it up :D Short and fun

      Delete
  14. I've wanted to read Lumberjack for sooo long! Penny Watson is so funny. I share her beard obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the cover of Chaos Born but the Lumbarjack one is tragic lol. Lucky there's "hot monkey sex" HA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, lckily there is that yes ;) But poor poor cover

      Delete
  16. ha! that looks like a dolphin tail on the mermaid.
    Yes, that second Lumberjack cover is waaaay better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol not sure I want to read any of those, but glad you enjoyed them Linda.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP