Wednesday 30 April 2014

Early review: Meet the Earl at Midnight - Gina Conkle

It's going to take a Beast to tame this Beauty 

Enigma Earl. The Phantom of London. That's what the gossip pages call Lord Edward Greenwich, a mysterious nobleman who doesn't show his face in London Society. With a reputation like that, no wonder Lydia Montgomery is horrified to be dragged from bed and packed off to live with him to save her mother from penury.

While Lydia has received all of the training a lady should endure, she's decidedly un-ladylike. She despises her corset and isn't interested in marriage. She'd prefer to remain unmarried and spend her time improving her art. But if she wants a chance at happiness, she'll have to set aside her fear of the earl and discover the man hiding behind the beast.

Will Edward and Lydia's greatest discovery be each other before time runs out?

My thoughts:
It's not often I come across a hero like this. Half his face normal, the other side filled with scars. He does not want to go out in society, he can't get anyone to marry him. He just sits at home.

There is our story, he needs a woman and an heir. Luckily he finds Lydia, a spinster, an artist, a woman who says what she wants. But a woman who needs to save her family. While Edward is a scientist and now a recluse, and I liked him. And I sure wanted Lydia to save him, for him to move on, for them to be happy.

Most of the book, and then I mean most takes place in his house. It really is about them getting to know each other. I liked that as when they spent so much time together I believed them falling in love.

Conclusion:
A nice romantic tale.

Cover
I guess it's the other side of the face that scares people

Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Expected publication: May 6th 2014 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published January 1st 2014)
Midnight Meetings #1
Historical romance
for review

40 comments:

  1. I love books like these. I wish that the cover would've showed the other side of his face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's said to be scary, but she did not mind

      Delete
  2. A scarred hero? That's all I need to know! SOLD:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh this reminds me of A Rose in Winter by Kathleen Woodwiss! Loved that one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always did mean to read a Woodwiss book

      Delete
  4. I should really read some historical romances. Your descriptions and reviews always sound so good. I like the cover of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! He only shows his good side to the artist. :)

    This is sort of a beauty and the beast kind of tale? Plus, she is an artist. Hm... looks like one I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds so sweet. Reminds me a little of When Beauty Tamed the Beast from what you're saying.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to try this one! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't scare off potential buyers with the other side of the face! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The half of his face showing is very pretty. ;-) I love Beauty and the Beast retellings, so I'll keep an eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them too, especially if he has a library, lol

      Delete
  10. You read such sweet sounding romances. It reminds me of my late highschool years when I was totally into the romances and books like these. Woe to men who can never live up lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good for light fun reads, just to relax and take my mind of things

      Delete
  11. Scarred hero + Romance = Place on my TBR

    ReplyDelete
  12. it makes me think on the first Callihan book but it sounds really great! you're right we don't have a lot of characters like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I never read that one but I remember something about it

      Delete
  13. Love the premise and would totally enjoy this :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ehehehehe. Yep. Definitely the other side that's scary ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be, or maybe this normal side is the scary and the other side is truly beautiful ;)

      Delete
  15. I'm not drawn to his good side either - is that bad?? haha

    But I love when the author gives the heroine and hero time to fall in love. It makes HEAs and reading in general so much more enjoyable =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, nah, not for me either

      They do spend a lot of time together :)

      Delete
  16. Very similar theme as the latest Tessa Dare (Romancing the Duke) from January '14.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I kind of think it's a pity they didn't think about adding the theme to the cover. It's only in the summary you'd find out about the plot. That said I suppose it supports the true beauty idea (I'm aware I'm thinking too far into this!) Sounds a good story, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and yes it's what is inside that matters here. He is a good man, so she does not care about that one side

      Delete
  18. aww man so he is a tortured hero? I love stuff like this :) always comes out good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like something I'd be interested in! Thanks, Linda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with Jenny - I love a scarred hero, and this sounds like a nice slow, well developed romance. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. aww I want to read this one thanks to your review B :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice review, my best friend Maia loves B&B tropes.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP