Sunday 8 June 2014

Carole Reviews: Murder by Misrule - Anna Castle

Author: Anna Castle
Title: Murder by Misrule (Francis Bacon #1)
Genre: Historical Fiction, Murder Mystery, and Romance
Pages: ebook
First Published: June 8th, 2014
Where I Got It: My shelf  (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)


"Francis Bacon is charged with investigating the murder of a fellow barrister at Gray's Inn. He recruits his unwanted protégé Thomas Clarady to do the tiresome legwork. The son of a privateer, Clarady will do anything to climb the Elizabethan social ladder. Bacon's powerful uncle Lord Burghley suspects Catholic conspirators of the crime, but other motives quickly emerge. Rival barristers contend for the murdered man's legal honors and wealthy clients. Highly-placed courtiers are implicated as the investigation reaches from Whitehall to the London streets. Bacon does the thinking; Clarady does the fencing. Everyone has something up his pinked and padded sleeve. Even the brilliant Francis Bacon is at a loss — and in danger — until he sees through the disguises of the season of Misrule."


Like earlier stated, I read this for the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion.


Awwwww Francis Bacon. I don't know why, but I liked him a lot. Maybe it's the fact that he reminded me of me at a lot of times. He also reminded me of Sherlock Holmes from time to time. THAT may have to do with the fact that he had a murder mystery on his hands. I wish that he didn't add the gang of kids with him, but it did add more to the story, but still. I didn't like Tom and his friends. Okay, Ben was okay and so was Trumpet (until near the end). Tom was annoying and I think Clara deserved someone better. Oh well. Clara didn't make it easy for Tom, so that made me feel better. She got screwed once by her first husband and wasn't about to make THAT mistake twice. Glad she was a smart girl.


The two twists near the end surely did catch me by surprise. Especially who was the murderer and the conspirator. Kuddos to the author for getting me! haha. I'm normally really good at mysteries, but this got me and I liked it. 


There were a couple dry spots that did have me skimming a little bit. 0.0 However, the adventure was fun and I'm excited to see what adventures poor Mr. Bacon has to endure. haha. The author did a fantastic job blending historical fiction with real history and with a nice mystery on top like a cherry. Wonderful. :)


In the end, I liked the mystery...it was a good one and I didn't expect it! I had my own list of suspects that surely did look suspicious. I hated Tom and his "friends". I'm glad that the author made Clara a strong girl who didn't completely give in to Tom and his "love". She made him prove it and made him work for it. I loved her and I wish she had more screen-time. Also, I wish that Francis Bacon had more screen-time as well. Oh well. This book would be fun for those that like historical fiction and/or mysteries. Out of five stars I shall stamp this with 4 stars. 



Favorite Character(s): Francis Bacon, Clara, Ben, and Queen Elizabeth

Not-so Favorite Character(s): Tom and Casper 



16 comments:

  1. I am in the middle of a country house murder read (download from Amazon free) which is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes I love a good mystery and it's nice to be surprised like that. It's a new one for me so thanks for the discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't usually read historicals, but I do enjoy mysteries. I think I might like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would. It's a nice mixture of the two genres.

      Delete
  4. I love that you didn't see the twists coming and that despite a few dry patches the tale wrapped up good. I love the sound of the protagonist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Historical mysteries are fun, aren't they? I hadn't heard of this series before. Thanks for the intro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun if done right. You're welcome! Hopefully you check it out.

      Delete
  6. I love a strong female character! Those are my favourite books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I hate ninnies who just fall over.

      Delete
  7. Oh. This is new to me but does sound so good. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. O this does sound intriguing! Thanks for the review Carole Rae.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP