Tuesday 3 June 2014

Dark Aemilia - Sally O'Reilly

A TALE OF SORCERY AND PASSION IN SEVENTEENTH-CENTURY LONDON—WHERE WITCHES HAUNT WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE AND HIS DARK LADY, THE PLAYWRIGHT'S MUSE AND ONE TRUE LOVE

The daughter of a Venetian musician, Aemilia Bassano came of age in Queen Elizabeth’s royal court. The Queen’s favorite, she develops a love of poetry and learning, maturing into a young woman known not only for her beauty but also her sharp mind and quick tongue. Aemilia becomes the mistress of Lord Hunsdon, but her position is precarious. Then she crosses paths with an impetuous playwright named William Shakespeare and begins an impassioned but ill-fated affair.

A decade later, the Queen is dead, and Aemilia Bassano is now Aemilia Lanyer, fallen from favor and married to a fool. Like the rest of London, she fears the plague. And when her young son Henry takes ill, Aemilia resolves to do anything to save him, even if it means seeking help from her estranged lover, Will—or worse, making a pact with the Devil himself.

My thoughts:
The book takes place during different important years during her life.

Aemilia is first the mistress of a powerful man and she has everything. She is happy with her lot in life. But the title already says is and the passion she and Shakespeare share drive them mad for each other. That is the first part of her life. Meeting Shakespeare, and losing it all.

The second part takes place when she is married to a gambler and her old life is long gone. She has a son. She still wants to write. But this was not a time for women, men were the writers. In this part something, well I do not want to call it paranormal, let's just call it witchy, comes over it all. Superstition, needs and wants sets her on a different road. It's a shitty life to be honest. I can feel the smell and dirt that was the early 1700th century. And it was not pretty and people were fools.

The last part, oh I am not gonna say everything that happens.

She was real, if she really was Shakespeare's dark lady we do not know. But I quite like how O'Reilly portrayed it here.

Conclusion:
Love, passion, need. Witchcraft, sorcery and poetry. Plague, death and despair. Yes this book really gives us all of it.

Cover
I like the birds

Hardcover, 448 pages
Published May 27th 2014 by Picador (first published March 27th 2014)
Historical fiction
for review

49 comments:

  1. Wow! Adding it to my list. Sounds pretty fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the sound of this one! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was getting great buzz at BEA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny you post a review set during and after the Elizabethan era, because of my what-if dream. This sounds so good! I love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) Hihi I know and you still have to write that books, totally

      Delete
  5. Your review teases me so, I am curious now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're always finding all these cool books...I may have to put this on my list, because it has paranormal elements plus historical. Shakespeare too, you don't see that every day!

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was freaky, weird, and yes like a strange Shakespeare tale

      Delete
  8. I know it would have been shitty to live in that era with the constant threat of being burned at the stake. Scares the bejesus out of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that like a crooked pinkie would have got you hanged, well mine is not straight so, buuurn

      Delete
  9. I've heard good things about this but for some reason the whole Shakespeare thing makes me wonder... Maybe I'll try this at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does sound good all around and I like the different elements

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds good!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, definitely curious about the witchy part, and Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shakespeare was, well they fitted well and not well

      Delete
  13. This does sound like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this sounds amazing, definitely checking the library for this one. Love the birds too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds a fabulous mix of genres!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite book that touches on the Dark Lady is The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet by Myrlin A. Hermes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never read anything about Shakespeare but it sounds really nice and different. Plus I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think I have read anything else now when I come to think about it

      Delete
  18. Umm . . . sorcery, Shakespeare, passion, despair, etc.? Yes, please! *adds to wishlist*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds good, and I love the Shakespeare connections.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore the cover, and it's nice to hear about the nitty gritty realism. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wouldn't want to have lived 17th century but I love reading about it ... cool cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The witchcraft and sorcery part sure sounds interesting and appealing to me :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP