Friday 13 June 2014

Preternatural - G.S.Anderson

From the reality of the known to the depths of imagination, these twelve tales will skew your perceptions. Embracing mystery, science fiction, horror, and fantasy, the stories examine greed, ignorance, superficiality, and our ideas of home. A little girl wonders about the price of her new home. A woman searches for a place to fit in. A contest exposes hidden personalities. A man tries to overcome his fears. A gift comes with strings attached. A man lives his greatest dream. A fairy tale finds a little girl. An artist describes her process. A soldier discovers the past. A woman encounters reality. A man holds the key to saving the world. Tales to entertain, surprise, and make you think.

My thoughts:
There are 12 stories and as the book is only 60 pages then yes all the stories are really short. But they all pack quite the punch.

That is also why I can't say a lot about the stories, cos I say one thing and the whole thing is spoiled.

1. Seemingly dystopian, then it change for the little girl. And the end, yes I did not see it coming. It's about a little girl getting a new home.

2.A story about a woman who has a bookloving sister. A more quiet story.

3. A mum tells her son to go out and play....boom! Ha.

4. A relative dies and sets a contest about who will get it all. Boom! I love her endings!

5. Astraphobia. A man is afraid of the thunder. Honestly all I could say about all of these are, awesome ending!

6. The Gift. Dystopia with a nice twist.

7. One man at a time. A man gets the chance of a lifetime. Happiness or not?

8. The unicorn. I love all the twists and turns.

9. Piecé dé résitance. An artist shows us her work. Freaky.

10. Short fable.

11. To kill Hitler. A time-travel piece.

12. The end. Apocalyptic story with you guessed it, a twist.

I could not say much cos all these stories will surprise you. And in a good way. Twists, turns and surprise endings. Great short stories, and they are great just like that, as short stories. Because this way they all will thrill and surprise you. ;)

I would recommend them and they would fit perfectly for before bedtime. A short story and then night :)

ebook, 60 pages
Published April 18th 2014 by The Story Vault
Science-fiction /dystopia /post-apocalyptic
For review 

29 comments:

  1. Wow! 12 stories and only 60 pages AND they're good?? That's impressive.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are SO short so they work, I know weird

      Delete
  2. 12 shorts in 60 pages? That seems kind of an impossible feat to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, well one story was a fable that was a paragraph long

      Delete
  3. 60 pages fit 12 different stories? ha..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this sounds intense. A boy goes outside and plays and then BOOM, huh???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love collections of short stories. Love the synopsis you have of each one. Looks like a book I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But what about the cover????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better with another font? Smaller font? Something

      Delete
  7. I'm impressed it's only 60 pages and the stories are so good. I do love surprise twists and endings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how the worked, they all started at the end of a story in a way and then BOOM

      Delete
  8. Love short stories, but tend to like them to be a bit longer than this. I wonder what I would think of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say most were just so short that they worked ;)

      Delete
  9. wow 12 stories for 60 pages? It's really really short

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed them B!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ha, sounds like a nice set of surprising short stories

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds good, but I'm not crazy about short stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that, neither am I, but they are so short they work. Cos when they get longer you get the feeling that they really should be longer, they just do not work then

      Delete
  13. This sounds interesting and a perfect read for in-between.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that's different. Only a couple of short stories I've read have worked so I'm glad these turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was strange but yes they worked thanks to those twists

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP