Thursday 5 June 2014

Swords of Good Men - Snorri Kristjansson

To Ulfar Thormodsson, the Viking town of Stenvik is the penultimate stop on a long journey in this riveting adventure of clashing Viking powers. Tasked with looking after his cousin after disgracing his father, he has traveled the world and now only wants to go home.

Stenvik is different: it contains the beautiful and tragic Lilja, who immediately captures Ulfar’s heart-–but Stenvik is also home to some very deadly men, who could break Ulfar in an instant.

King Olav is marching on Stenvik from the East, determined to bring the White Christ to the masses at the point of his sword, and a host of bloodthirsty raiders led by a mysterious woman are sailing from the north.

But Ulfar is about to learn that his enemies are not all outside the walls.

My thoughts:
At first I will admit that this will not be the historical for everyone. This is about war, fighting, a siege, death. You get the idea.

Ulfar comes with his cousin to Stenvik. And he is not the only one. King Olav is coming there too, and others to plunder and kill. But before that Ulfar falls for a mystery woman (yes those things can never end well). And we gets to see the tension in the city. It was a brutal time after all.

The raiders and King do not come at once. We get to see city life, the raiders planning and King Olav telling people his way or the highway. Yeah, I have never been a fan of those who say this religion is better, follow it or die. So I can't really be on his side then. Go back to your heathen ways Norway, do not listen to Olav.

Ulfar, he was interesting. Because he starts of, not naive, but in a way yes. He grows and sees the bloody side of things. It's not like he is a stranger to fighting but things will get messy in this town.

Vikings as they were. A time of Thor vs White Christ. Tensions in society and like always, people doing things they should not do.

Conclusion:
And the end, rather evil wasn't it? I will not tell you but it certainly made me wonder what Ulfar is up to next.

cover
works

Paperback, 352 pages
Published June 5th by Jo Fletcher Books
The Valhalla Saga #1
Historical fiction
for review

39 comments:

  1. I really want to read this! One of the few titles I regret not checking out from Jo Fletcher Books, they haven't let me down yet.

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got book 2 coming up soon, stuff happened...BIG things..lol

      Delete
  2. I like my Historicals to be lighter than this. LOL I believe that this one may be a little too evil for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vikings - I don't think I've ever read a book about Vikings. Not sure that this one grabs my attention though. Maybe fun Vikings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun vikings? Well then I say read historical romance with some hunky viking angel ;)

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I like to go dark and gritty so I will add this to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good! I don't mind war and stuff if it's done well. Sometimes it just gets too boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get that, I read this one book about Hasting and it got to be dry

      Delete
  6. I don't think this one is for me, I hate war and siege.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally obsessed with Vikings (I've been watching the History channel show and it's awesome). I definitely need to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nordic and I love the names even if it's hard to pronounce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like my Vikings a bit more historical romance-y. ;) Heavy war stuff, not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sorry, no sexy vikings here to sweep you off your feet

      Delete
  10. Hmm not sure about that one if it would work for me. I go more romancy I think. lol But dang that cover is eye catching. The authors name O.o I don't even know how to attempt that one. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'ts easy, well I do not have the Icelandic accent to say it, so I would just say it in a Swedish one ;)

      Delete
  11. Vikings! and evil? But that is my kind of cover, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder but I prefer to read your review for this one. Not sure it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. War, death, vikings ... my kind of book ;) I just started watching tv series Vikings ... gruesome and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think this one is for me B. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't know if I would like the ending. Not big on war, so not sure if this one is for me. Hm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending was good, well evil, ok not good...we will see lol

      Delete
  16. Eh. Not much for evil endings, so we will see . . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This sounds pretty epic. Not going to lie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vikings. Key word. I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, go back to your heathen ways, Norway! That made me smile :)))

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP