Wednesday 25 June 2014

The Awakened Mage - Karen Miller

Asher has come a long way for a fisherman's son. Together with his friend Prince Gar, he has defended their kingdom against its bitterest enemy, but at great cost. Now the evil mage Morg is preparing for his most deadly assault. Desperate, trapped in a broken body, Morg has little time and fewer scruples.

My thoughts:
First, this is book 2 of course there are gonna be spoilers from book 1, duh. 

Book 1 ended with a bang, for a book that is pretty light, then that was sure an evil ending. She killed almost the entire royal family, only prince Gar was left standing. Yes evil indeed. So that is where the book starts. What on earth will happen now? Prince Gar recently found his magic. But can he keep the weather in check? Can he keep his keep stupid Lord Jarralt away from the throne? Can Ashe be safe as others around him think he has risen too fast. And what about Morg, trapped in Durm's body? All hell will break lose if he gets what he wants, which is everyone and everything dead and eaten.

I know it's a total cliche to say it BUT in this book the pages just flew by. Such a cliche thing to say but they did. I read it in record time. The book was 700 pages? What? No, it was like 300 cos it was so light and suddenly I was 300 pages into the story and the next time I was done. The pages turned themselves.

I wish there were more books though, I think it had been better as a trilogy. Then the suspense could have grown bigger and bigger and ended with the OMG! NOOO! thing and the next book could have been a battle. But hey I am not complaining, the series is done and I am happy it all worked out. There is another series with 2 books that takes place like 20 years after or something and I will read that one soon too. I can't wait.

Conclusion:
Light, good, fun fantasy.

Cover
ok

Paperback, 678 pages
Published October 2007 by Orbit (first published December 14th 2005)
Kingmaker, Kingbreaker #2
Fantasy
own

36 comments:

  1. A light fantasy sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you....'The Host' is anything but "light". Ugh. lol. I need another light fantasy in my life. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BLERGH! I tried to read it, boring as hell

      Delete
  3. Wow, 700 pages and they just flew by? That's a very good sign! Love it when that happens:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed, it's a skill. I truly sat down and read faster than I have ever done before

      Delete
  4. Pay for one cover, change the colors and use it on all the books in the series?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have the first book I need to read! I even have the audiobook of Innocent Mage, just waiting for me, I should get to it one of these days.

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, yes read it :D I have 3 more by her to read, then I am gonna get the new one. I really like her style

      Delete
  6. So true... it's not the number of the pages, but how much involved you get into the story! Brilly review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only read first and last paragraphs because I'm planning to read first book and I don't want spoilers. I think I need to read it sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds enjoyable. And I like that it's only 2 books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one sounds like it was a good sequel to the first and you've got me tempted to start the first now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was :D I like the mysteries and spy games

      Delete
  10. I was trying to think if I had these books on the shelf. But I think I was getting the cover mixed up with The Night Angel trilogy.

    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When something is written well, it's hard not to breeze through it even if it's this long. I'm glad to see you were satisfied. Very satisfied

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was, it was a lovely day to read outside too, awww those warm spring days

      Delete
  12. You have me curious 700 pages and light? flew by? Yep I am curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suddenly it had finished and I was all...already? ;)

      Delete
  13. wow 700 pages can be a lot but it's nice to see you had such a great time and didn't realize you had so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yet another series that looks great. I must find time to read some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome. Glad you loved it. Good, light fantasy is hard to come by ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just realized I have the first book in this series! Someday soon I must read it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm always in awe of books that are super long but read so quickly because it just flows. I'm glad to hear this is one of those! Lovely review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome flow, some are just like that. I can't wait to read more by her

      Delete
  18. I've wanted to to start these books but there's not enough time...

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP