Saturday 16 August 2014

#Bookblogwalkers Check-in and Review of Orcs War Fighting Manual

This challenge is organized by Felicia over at the Geeky Blogger's Book Blog, but this week Jen is hosting

Saturday 6 km bike
Sunday - 1 hour walk
Monday - 1 hour workout class + 10 km bike
Tuesday - 5 km bike and 30 min walk
Wednesday - 20 min walk, 1 hour zumba and 10 km bike
Thursday - 5 km bike 
Friday  10 km bike

I have not taken any pics! Booo. Ok so instead I will post a pic from where I live, some of you have already seen it, but that is mostly the bookblogwalkers :) So that is why I always take my nature pics ;)



--------------------------------

Written in the form of a soldier's manual on strategy, tactics and weapons THE ORCS WAR-FIGHTING MANUAL is an innovative and fun way for readers and gamers to add colour and excitement to their knowledge of fantasy's premier villains. Translated from the original Orcish the book contains details on Orc strengths and weakness, key tactics, survival and field tips and accounts of notorious battles from Orc history as well as key tips on defeating Elves and Dwarves. Puny humans are not considered worth discussing. With companion volumes for Elves and Dwarves, gaming and comics writer Den Patrick builds up his very own fantasy world and tells its history in a unique and entertaining way. Illustrated throughout and comes complete with battle and formation maps.                                                                                              
My thoughts:
This was witty and fun. It's what the title says, an Orc war manual. A human scribe tries to learn as much as he can so we learn where to fight, what weapons are best and more. Would you find that amusing? Well it was! I found myself smiling because Orcs are not creatures to joke but the book had the best footnotes. Witty remarks by the scribe.

Humans and elves are silly things. The abuse they took here, ha. The only race that had some worth (when not eaten) were goblins. And it did seem that dwarves got some respect. 

This book did made me wanna check out the elf war manual too. As I found this one witty, then how would the elf one be? Proud beings as they must be.

If you want to learn about orcs, or just have a good laugh then this one will fit you

Hardcover, 129 pages
Published August 15th 2013 by Gollancz
Fantasy
Own



27 comments:

  1. The Orc war manual sounds interesting! I remember Orcs from reading the LOTR books. And nice photo of where you live!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That view is GORGEOUS! So jealous.

    The Orc War manual sounds like a lot of fun.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ORC Manuel sounds fantastic Linda. Happy Walking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started biking going to work and that's an hour ride. It's tiring but I love the high! Yay for those happy hormones!

    And I need this orc fighting manual, maybe I'll gain me some skills and will help me survive the apocalypse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow an hour. My work way is just 5 km that includes back and forth

      Lol, that would come in handy

      Delete
  5. I haven't biked much those 2 last months...so go you!

    Hahahah, sometimes you read very original books. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaat? I bike to work every day.

      hehe, thanks

      Delete
  6. Great job for last week! And that is a amazing photo. I'm really jealous you have all those trees by you. I have nothing but houses and dried up fields. That book sounds interesting and fun! Keep up the great work and have a nice week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I am walking in the woods a lot :D Well not now, mosquitoes! I do love it here, as long as they leave some fields and woods and do not destroy it all

      Delete
  7. Aw, no pics this week, but that's a nice aerial photo of where you live. No wonder you have all these great photos of the woods every week, look at all those trees and great forested areas!

    And I really want to check out Den Patrick...I have his boy The Boy with the Porcelain Blade that I want to read soon.

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what have I done? Bad me. But we took the same walk all week so not much to see

      He was so funny in this one!

      Delete
  8. Great job on your exercise. I love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting!! I'm curious about the Elf Manual too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a dwarf one too but the elf, so curious

      Delete
  10. Great job with your BBW!! And the Orc Killing Manual sounds hilarious - can I assume it's meant for the LOTR world? That's the only place I can think of Orcs in books I've read. What a neat idea though - since scribes really can be funny to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope it has nothing to to with a specific place. There are just orcs, elves and dwarves.

      Delete
    2. Oh and cities are mentioned so it's his own creation but it does work with anything

      Delete
  11. You have a pretty awesome environment to do all your exercising!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice pic! Looks like you live in a beautiful area!

    ReplyDelete
  13. witty and fun sounds great, haven't heard of this one yet

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want the elf one! What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP