Sunday 17 August 2014

Carole Reviews: Devil's Return - Sandra Schwab

Author: Sandra Schwab
Title: Devil's Return (Allan's Miscellany #4) 1847
Genre: Short story, Historical Romance
Pages: ebook
First Published: August 15th, 2014
Where I Got It: On my shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)


"Seven years ago Fran and Alex were very much in love. Yet because Alex was only a younger son with no prospects to speak of, Fran’s family pressured her into breaking the engagement and marrying a rich, titled man instead. Filled with bitterness, Alex left England for the New World.



Now he is back, more dangerous and more cynical than ever before. He has found fame and fortune as an adventurer, traveling the world from America to the Near East and writing about his travels for Allan’s Miscellany. He has come to London to drum up interest for his friend’s archeological excavations. Soon, he finds himself the darling of London society, admired by men, wooed by women.

Fate has not been so kind to Fran. After a disastrous marriage, which has left her with deep emotional and physical scars, she is widowed and now lives in genteel poverty.

By chance, Alex and Fran’s paths cross again. They have both changed so much, and past betrayals and past hurts still divide them. So surely there can be no second chance for their love…"


Like earlier stated, I was given this for my honest and unbiased opinion. 

Oooooooooooooooooooooh silly families breaking up love matches JUST because they don't think the boy has any prospects. And then after they break up the couple, years later the man comes back richer then ever and the family drools all over him (like Fran's bitchy sister Victoria). Ugh. Victoria...what a snot. How did she manage to marry such a good guy? >__> I hope he leaves her and finds someone better and nicer.

Poor Fran. She was forced to leave her true love and forced to marry an old man who is abusive and mean. Then something bad happens to her and she is physically scarred for life. I cannot say what happens, but its big and it almost cost her her life. I didn't expect it honestly, so it was a twist when the truth came out. Poor girl. Stupid Alex for leaving the country over a hurt pride. I wished he had stayed, so at least ONE person would have cared for her. Hell, the sweet Dr. Grant was the only one who cared about her throughout her ordeal. 

Honestly, I think this is my favorite out of the series so far (I still need to read #2)! I loved the 'Persuasion' mix to the story. That was my favorite book, so when a story mirrors it, even just a little, it makes me happy. Alex reminded me a little of Captain Wentworth, but not as bitter and he got over his hurt pride quicker. He also decided to not write a letter and hope his love forgives him and takes him back, he ran to her and made her understand and make her take him back. It was romantic and made me happy, because she needed a good kick in the arse to get out of her I-hate-myself-and-Alex-could-never-love-me-again-because-I'm-ugly-now. Psh. He is no Prince Charming now either, a bear smacked him across the chest and he has an ugly scar! 

Anyways....

I can't wait to read more! I cannot wait for Mac to get his own story. I simply adore the man even though he is cynical and a grump; he totally reminds me of my own love, so I can't help but like him. haha. 

In the end, this is the best out of the series so far. I can't wait to see what is next for the poor men of the magazine! Especially for Mr. Mac. I wish these were not short shorties, but I'll take what I can get. ^.^ Out of five stars, I stamp this one with 5. 

Favorite Character(s): Alex, Fran, Dr. Grant, Beaton, and Mac
Not-so Favorite Character(s): Victoria (I wanted to punch her in the face)



28 comments:

  1. Oh it's great to see that this one was your favorite in the series. It sounds like a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It was. I hope it gets even better as the series goes on.

      Delete
  2. I'm really glad you enjoyed this one so much, Carole. It's my favorite of the series so far, too. ;-)

    Just quick to let you all know that I'm lagging a bit behind with uploading this (I was in meltdown mode these past two weeks because my mum had to undergo surgery), but I hope I'll be able to wrap everything up today (aka get over the last-minute panic attacks over minor details). In other words, the book will become available either later today or tomorrow. Sorry about the delay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I can't wait for more!

      I completely understand. I hope the surgery went well!

      Delete
    2. Thank you. Yes, the surgery went well, but it will take her a while to fully recover.

      By now, the book is live on Amazon, and Kobo should follow soon. :-)

      Again, thanks so much for the review (and I promise that Mac's story will be worth the wait!!!)

      Delete
  3. Carole, this sounds like a great novella, but darn you..now I want to read the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehehehe. I am certainly an evil one. ;D

      Delete
  4. Great review and sounds like a book I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think you'd enjoy it Yvonne. :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds pretty great! Hm... now I want to check out that series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What?? I was sure you were going to say you didn't like this. Lol, I don't know, just the way the review started I guess. XD Glad it was a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh those devils and their charms - I am glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your comment t re: Victoria was a bit mean but it made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She completely deserved it. She was an absolute snot!

      Delete
  9. I love Persuasion so that puts this on my wish list.
    I think the guy on the cover looks too modern (a pet peeve of many historical covers these days).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL he's a little modern looking, but not bad to look at.

      Delete
  10. Oooo I love a setup like this! Where the true love leaves (for whatever reason) and in doing so condemns the person they love to an unimaginable fate. My heart just hurts thinking about it, and it always makes me happy to watch as they try to fix things:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. I feel so bad for her, but it certainly was good.

      Delete
  12. Oh that sounds very intriguing. Total creeper hero on the cover but oh you have me curious :D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP