Friday 1 August 2014

Carole Reviews: A tangled Web - Sandra Schwab

Author: Sandra Schwab
Title: A Tangled Web (Allan's Miscellany #3) 1846
Genre: Short story, Historical Romance
Pages: ebook
First Published: July 2014
Where I Got It: On my shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)


"Lawrence Pelham works as a comic artist for the magazine Allan's Miscellany. A chance meeting with a young woman dressed in mourning changes Pel's whole life, and without his even knowing, he is thrown into a world of mystery and intrigue, where nothing is as it seems to be - especially not the woman he has given his heart to.



Her whole life Sarah Browne has been told how plain she is, how nondescript, destined to become an old maid. For years she has been her family's dutiful nursing maid, but now a secret inheritance and an encounter with the charming Mr. Pelham seem to offer her a chance to break out of her life of duty and drudgery - if she dares to take it. Yet how could such an interesting, witty man be possibly interested in her boring self?

And so, Sarah soon find herself entangled in a web of lies and deceit, which might even cost her the love of her life."


Like earlier stated, I was given this from the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion. Also, this works perfectly well as a stand alone short story. 

Oooooooh silly Sarah. Silly, silly chit. There were no reasons to lie about who she was. I get WHY she did lie to Pel, because she thought she was a no one and he wouldn't want to talk to such a "loser" nursemaid who takes care of her nephews for free and she is also a spinster in her late twenties. Totally get it, but there was no reason. He liked her before she told him anything about herself. A moral lesson to all the girls out there...be yourself; don't be self-conscious or you could push away someone who really loves you *makes mental note too*.

Now...Pel. You are an idiot. One could see a mile away she is not who she says she is. Her acting is bad and he should have used his brain. Yes, love is blind, but still....even though she says she is a widow and has her own place must you go over there and hang out? NO! It is the middle of the city and someone is BOUND to see. C'mon silly boy. Also, Mr. Pel, I get how you responded when you found out all the lies, but it was indeed a little melodramatic. Poor Sarah. 

Even though both were silly and caught up in their love web (see what I did there?), I liked them. They were so human and 3D and I could really relate to both. The side characters were okay too, except for Mr and Mrs Browne who were a little 2D asshole brother and sister-in-law, but I found them entertaining nonetheless. I really liked Edward. :3 He was a cutie and such a good cousin to Sarah. I hope to see more of him someday. 

I am currently mad at Mac. Very, very rude in this one especially with his loathing a woman joining in on the editorial. I'm not sure if it is because he is sexist or because he looks at the magazine as a "Boy's club" type thing. It's hard to gauge, but he made me mad. He better redeem himself later on! I am proud of him for sticking up for Pel against Sarah even though she was innocent, but I'm proud of him being loyal. 

Well, this was a nice short story. Not as good as #1, but still really good. I am glad that it wasn't easy for the two to be together after Sarah's stunt. I was worried that they wouldn't be together, but c'mon...it is a romance after all. haha. I definitely recommend this to those that don't mind short stories and those that like Historical Romances. Out of five stars, I stamp this one with 4.

Favorite Character(s): Sarah, Pel, Mr. Allan (such a cute old man), Robbie (yayy for him getting a little round in the face!), Mac (even though I'm mad at him), and Edward.
Not-so Favorite Character(s): Mr and Mrs Browne (>__>) 



21 comments:

  1. Glad that despite some of the silly things the characters did in this one, you still enjoyed it overall! I love a good historical romance:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It was worth dealing with the silly lovebirds.

      Delete
  2. Hey you can't go wrong with short and sweet every once in awhile, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at, "...a little 2D asshole brother and sister-in-law, but I found them entertaining nonetheless." LOL This sounds like a fun book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear it was good, even though it didn't live up to the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to beat the first one in any series.

      Delete
  5. I love your character descriptions, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like your review and the cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a nice story even if the 2 characters were both silly but it's ok if we can understand them too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, sewing maching attacks again...with two silly characters. Thank you very much, not for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds good, but I'm not sure about this one.
    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's okay. But you never knooooooooow. ;D

      Delete
  10. Ha an idiot and a silly chit..sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP