Thursday 21 August 2014

Carole Reviews: The way the world is - Yael Politis

Author: Yael Politis
Title: The Way the World Is (Olivia #2)
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: ebook
First Published: November 30th, 2013
Where I Got It: On my shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)


"Detroit Michigan, 1842


After the devastating trauma she suffered in Olivia, Mourning and finally knowing the reality with which she must deal, Olivia strives to rebuild herself – emotionally, socially, and financially.
She starts a new life in Detroit, the young and exciting city on a river where she has come to feel at home. New friends help the healing process, while she continues her search for the two people she loves, who have disappeared from her life. She finds the greatest solace in helping fugitive slaves escape over the river to Canada. She believes, as one of her new friends says, “In this time and place it is the most worthy thing a person can do.”
Olivia remains a compelling protagonist on a journey to find a way to do the right thing in a world in which so much is wrong."


Like earlier stated, I was given this book for my honest and unbiased opinion.

This is the second book of the Olivia series, however, it could be read as a stand alone - kind of. There are a lot of references that one would miss, so I highly suggest reading the first one (which was really good by the way). 

Poor Olivia. :( She has had a hell of a time over the last two books. However, she keeps being her sweet self and trying to be a better person and make the world a better place. I just feel soooooooooooo bad for her. I'm so happy things do seem to get better when she goes back to Michigan and decides to make her life there - not as a farmer, but she finds something else (I will not say). She is so ahead of her time, it's tragic. The world is a shitty place sometimes, but with people like her there is hope. 

The author is eviiiiiil. All I wanted was a reunion between Olivia and Mourning. She kept teasing me, because Olivia and Mourning would pretty much JUST miss each other. She would leave Five Rocks and a day later he would arrive. They do finally get their reunion, but it broke my heart, because it was not as I expected it to go. :( I will say no more for it will spoil it.

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH! The ENDING! It wasn't long enough! I need to know more!!!!!!!! EVIL, but brilliant author. Honestly, a part of me knew what was going to happen, but I denied it and I was hopeful and begging for it to end a certain way. HOWEVER, that is not the way the world is (haha, see what I did there?). The author is amazing, yet again, because she does not shy away from the truth of the era. Life is not simple and full of rainbows; bad things happen and not everyone get a happily ever after. 

I really liked this book. The beginning was a little choppy, but once Olivia got out of her head and began her journey back to Michigan, things got better and more flowy and smooth. I think I liked it, but I liked the first one more. Mainly because Mourning was there and I really liked the two together. This one was still really good, but I was left empty without him. I cannot wait to read the third one to find out more about what happened to Olivia and Mourning. I would recommend this one to historical fiction lovers out there. :) Out of five stars, I grant this one 4 stars. 

Favorite Character(s): Olivia, Michelle, Jettie, Mr. Abraham, and Jeremy (yayy! My wish was kinda sorta granted).
 Not-so Favorite Character(s): The slave hunter (I can't remember his name tho)




14 comments:

  1. This sounds good, and I love when you know what will happen but hope against hope that it won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. lol. But you know its the only way it can be.

      Delete
  2. I hate it when a couple just keeps narrowly missing each other. It's the worst! Reminds me of Eden and Cruz and Santa Barbara lol.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw poor Olivia. Can be hard watching when they have such a go of it like that. She sounds wonderful though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor girl; it was hard, but she is an excellent character.

      Delete
  5. Woho, what an enthusistic review, haha. Lol, I don't know what happened to that Olivia girl but she seems to be pressured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha thanks! I can get very into my reviews. xD

      Delete
  6. oh it's nice to have a second great book like that. The story sounds so good! it's quite intriguing!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP