Tuesday 26 August 2014

Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Laini Taylor

In general, Karou has managed to keep her two lives in balance. On the one hand, she's a seventeen-year-old art student in Prague; on the other, errand-girl to a monstrous creature who is the closest thing she has to family. Raised half in our world, half in 'Elsewhere', she has never understood Brimstone's dark work - buying teeth from hunters and murderers - nor how she came into his keeping. She is a secret even to herself, plagued by the sensation that she isn't whole.

Now the doors to Elsewhere are closing, and Karou must choose between the safety of her human life and the dangers of a war-ravaged world that may hold the answers she has always sought.

My thoughts:
Did I think I would like it? HA, no. It was YA, come on. You know me. Did I like it anyway? YES!!! I am sorry YA, but most of the time you are angst filled love triangle stuff that makes me want to bang my head against the wall. But then once in a while I like YA, and once upon a blue moon I actually really like one. Yes it surprised me. But then it had nothing of those things I do not like, and everything of what I do like.

It was set in Prague, at once a win win. I have been to Prague, it's a beautiful city and a perfect setting for this book.

Karou is an art student. Her family consists of  monsters and she is sent all over the world to get things. She has seen a lot, she has made mistakes but most of all she is lonely. She does not belong here or there. Whatever there is. She was different, she was sad, lonely, angry. I liked her.

The world was great. I am not gonna go into details but I liked Elsewhere. I really liked the Elsewhere aspect.

There is also some romance coming, and that, well at first I was unsure but ok it works, and it worked even better when I understood.

I want book 2 now. I need more and I hope, hope! that it will be good too. Because when I finally liked a YA book then the rest is meh. Oh I am such a pessimist. 

Conclusion:
I just really enjoyed this book, I do not know what more to say. Everything fell into place and worked for me. I could not stop reading. So yes I recommend it.

Cover
 Beyond boring

Hardcover, UK, 418 pages
Published September 29th 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton
Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1
YA, Paranormal
Library

54 comments:

  1. YAY!!!! This is an all-time favorite of mine, I'm so glad you enjoyed it when you didn't expect to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. So original and breathtaking. I still need to read the third one. i'm kind of afraid lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I need to get book 2! I told the library to hurry

      Delete
  3. Oh yes I heard great things about this one and I'm happy to see yoy had a great time even if YA isn't normally for you. So fun to have a book like that! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been debating reading this and you've sold me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Book 2 is really intense and I loved it. I have the 3rd from the library and it is SO huge I'm almost afraid to start it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same way about YA that you do, so maybe I would like this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite YA novels, since I am a sucker for tales of forbidden love.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :D I am very happy that I read it

      Delete
  8. I keep hearing good things about this one. I'll have to pick this one up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't too crazy about this, which totally makes me the odd one out, but I loved the first part! It's the instalove that gave me the creeps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I did not expect to like it..well I already said that ;) I did read your review too before and was all, will I like this? I did even with the insta

      Delete
  10. I knew you will like it. I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! *does happy dance*
    Next books are also really good. Audiobooks are excellent by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, yes you and your audio ;) I will read it faster if I do not go audio ;) I want to know stuff

      Delete
  11. HA! I had a feeling you would like this one. Now you are "one of us". :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I hear "one of us, one of us" chanting...scary

      Delete
  12. I am glad you finally read this one. It is one of my all time favs. I don't think it should be labeled as YA, and in fact, I met Laini at a book signing and she that it is labeled adult almost everywhere else in the world. This series is far too complex to be YA. you will see especially as you go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Had not heard that. Though I still feel it felt YA like, the only thing that I could consider something else were the Elsehwere aspects

      Delete
  13. YES!!!!!! *jumping up and down* You read it at last! :) I haven't read other books in the series yet, but first one simply rocked. Really want to listen to the rest on audio, the narrator is really good. Great review, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D
      I am so glad I read it, it had stayed with me. Loved the setting and atmosphere

      Delete
  14. I definitely need to hurry up and get around to reading this trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this one. LOVED. And, yes, a lot of YA can be so angst-ridden, love triangled to death.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like this book too, and need to move on to the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one's waiting patiently for me, I've heard good things and really need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad to hear you liked it. I've read good reviews but you should expect worst with YA... I have this but I'm not sure when I get around to read it though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, i always expect the worst, so when it does not happen I am happy

      Delete
  19. I love this one too! I still need to read the last one but I'm not ready to say goodbye yet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I mix up between YA, NA and Adult but only read certain genres in YA and I think that is the key..those contemporary romances are filled with drama..LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like everything is filled with drama, contemporary, pnr, fantasy, sigh

      Delete
  21. YAY!! I adore this series and it warms my heart that this is one of the rare YA's that impressed you. Can't wait to hear what you think of the rest of the series! And yes I must agree, that cover is snoresville, I like the US one better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So boring, the US covers are like you so so much better

      Delete
  22. Yay! So glad you enjoyed this one, because it's one of my all-time favorite series!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds good and I like the Prague setting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. *screams* YES YOU READ IT!!!! I freaking love that series! The second book is stellar, our of this world, wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the idea of here and "elsewhere" This intrigues me, and I am glad to hear it misses YA fallacies!

    ReplyDelete
  26. YaaaaY! I am so very, very happy to read that you actually liked DoSaB :D As you can tell I am way behind on my blog reading as usual, but older posts need loving as well.

    I say prepare to not like the sequel and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last thing did make me a bit scared now.....

      But the library is getting it *waiting*

      Delete
    2. I enjoyed it very much, and thought it just as good as the first one, but it is quite different. I had a friend of mine put it away, I think she expected, or hoped for, more love and less war in Days of Blood and Starlight.

      Delete
    3. Oh, but I like war :D Love, meh

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP