Tuesday 5 August 2014

Doctor January - Rhoda Baxter

Six months after a painful break-up from Gordon, Beth's finally getting her life back on track. She has faith in her own scientific abilities and is willing to work hard to prove them. She's even beginning to see Hibs (James Hibbotson), her dedicated lab partner, as more than just a lousy lothario in a lab-coat.

So when Gordon returns from America without warning and expects to be welcomed back into Beth's arms, she's totally thrown. She also begins to see that Gordon isn't the man she thought he was...

Hibs has always held a candle for Beth, but he can only wait so long for her to realize there's more to life than being patronized and bullied by the one who's meant to love and protect her.

My thoughts:
Doctor January is romantic comedy with dark undertones. The dialogue is light and funny, but the main theme is about saving someone from emotional abuse. It also touches on the difficulties faced by women in science

That does say it perfectly. The book is light and I liked the banter. But the more I got to know Beth the more I could see why she acted the way she did, and when her ex comes back it gets worse. He is emotionally abusive and more. What I think  Beth is not really Beth, that is just Beth trying to please everyone and hiding.

Right, back to the beginning. We got Hibs and Beth working in a lab (the author knows her science.) They are friends but maybe they could be more? If Beth was not still in love with her ex, and if that ex had not come back later. Arghhh I hated Gordon. A true idiot. 

The book takes a darker turn when Gordon gets back, but that is why this is not contemporary romance. It's more about Beth trying to live her life.

Conclusion:
There is drama, every day life, romance, and romance turned bad. All in one. And add some suspense too.

Cover
The cover is all wrong in my eyes, that and the title made me think this was some kind of spy novel. See James Bond and more. Nope.

Paperback, 304 pages
Expected publication: Out now in PB in the UK, PB US Sep,
Out now in ebook by Choc Lit
Romantic Fiction
For review

57 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this one! I like when a book that deals with serious issue has a touch of humor as well to keep it from getting too dark:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kept a good line, not too dark, not too light

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jenny and Blodeuedd! I things that it's easier to deal with dark things when you have a sense of humour.
      Thanks for the comment Jenny!

      Delete
  2. I really liked this book, it's one of the best ones I've read this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Title so misleading. Nice read though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of get the title (they are talking about her), but I don't get the cover AT all. mmmmm. IDK about this one though, I feel like I would be angry a lot because of the ex. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is not a Doctor yet ;) It's actually about him

      Delete
    2. If it helps, I got angry a lot because of the ex while I was writing it...

      Delete
  5. I agree with you about the cover, it looks like a spy novel. It sounds good, but I don't it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of this one. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the cover is wrong, but this sounds like a good book. It has a lot of the elements I like in a story. Might have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the right vibe from the cover at all

      Delete
  8. A book which I wouldn't want to read with one ugly cover. Eh, Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you, anyway, not the book for you even with a pretty cover

      Delete
  9. I agree the cover does look like a spy novel instead of a weird contemporary romance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Easier to swallow tough times with a sense of humor, I know this for a fact so I could appreciate the dark humor in this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds really good but that is an awful cover.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds dramatic and romantic, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so right about that cover! I'd never guessed it was about such an interesting story. I enjoy dark humor, and a little darkness in general..lol I'm definitely curious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does get dark, like, creepy dark cos of the ex

      Delete
  14. The cover definitely sounds kind of wrong for the type of story, but I still love the visuals.

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hadn't thought of that before... but now you mention it, it is a bit spy novel like.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for the review!
    And thank you all for the comments. I hope those of you who pick it up, enjoy the read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely like it when the science in a book is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She knows her stuff, I do not know it, but she knows :)

      Delete
  18. I think I like lighter romance. I'd rather not read about abuse, emotional or otherwise, even if she gets out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That cover is totally misleading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This has me curious and yep cover didn't match what you described.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You would think that they would put more thought in the cover..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoy when authors can mix in (appropriate) humor with darker themes. I just finished a book like that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so right, that cover makes me think of James Bond! So wrong for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wrong cover, I'd say. Sounds like a complex romance.

    ReplyDelete
  25. abusive relationship is close to home, but I'd still like to read this one. Agree on the cover!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP