Friday 8 August 2014

India Black and the Gentleman Thief - Carol C.Carr

India Black’s double life operating a high-class brothel and running high-stakes espionage for Her Majesty’s government can take its toll. But there’s no rest for the weary—particularly when an international conspiracy comes knocking…

India Black is one of Victorian London’s most respected madams—not a bloody postmistress. So when Colonel Francis Mayhew forwards a seemingly innocuous shipping bill to her address, she’s puzzled. And when three thugs bust down her door, steal the envelope, and rough up both her and fellow agent French…well, that’s enough to make India Black see red.

The veteran spies soon discover that Mayhew has been butchered in his own bedroom. An impromptu investigation leads them to London’s docks, where India makes a startling discovery she can’t bear to tell the rakish French—she has a history with their chief suspect, the gentleman thief who once stole her heart…

My thoughts:
The last book ended with a sort of cliffie that had me begging for more. It seems French knew about India's origin and she was not happy and wanted the truth. And this book picked up right where it ended. But will India get her answers? Ha! No such luck, because she is immediately thrown into another case.

At least everything came out in this book. I now know who India is, who her mother is and how it all connects. Rather juicy and I do wonder how that part will turn out. Because knowing India, well she is a saucy woman. She likes her life, her brothel and ruling over her tarts.

But that is another story. This story is about a letter, a dead major and the hunt for the truth. She and French gets closer, and move apart. Oh I give up all hope on those two.

Conclusion:
There is danger, a former lover turning up, secrets revealed and a brothel turned upside down. I certainly look forward their next adventure.

Cover
nice

Paperback, 304 pages
Published August 8th 2014 by Titan Books (first published February 4th 2014)
Madam of Espionage Mysteries #4
Historical fiction /mystery/spy
For review

43 comments:

  1. Glad this was a winner for you! Each time you review one I say I need to try the first. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to check out this series. Happy weekend, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good and I love the cover of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you totally give up on them since you want the next book... ;) Sounds like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just do not know how it will work out, arghh, I NEED to know ;)

      Delete
  5. The title alone is simply irresistible and the rest seems to be very exciting too! Never heard of this series before, but I'll definitely check into it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun series. Spying, mysteries, issues with the brothel, lol

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that you finally got some much needed answers to a few of the questions that have been plaguing you. Happy Friday, Blodeuedd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy weekend!
      Yes I so wanted to know! And now I do know and it was good

      Delete
  7. Good to hear you got a few answers and are excited for the next adventure

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I lived in Victorian times, I'd want to be a saucy independent woman ruling her brothel too! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, me too. She is a good woman and she takes care of them

      Delete
  9. I love this series. Glad to see you enjoyed this one as much as I did.

    Kimberlee
    girllostinabook@hotmail.com
    www.girllostinabook.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gads Linda..why am I not reading this series? Adds to list

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely need to bump this series up my TBR since it sounds fantastic! Great review--glad to see you're enjoying this series even into the middle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye the middle, that is usually a bumpy road with some books

      Delete
  12. Sounds mysterious. And the name French for a character is quite uncommon. :P You seem to have liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love victorian spy books! And a name used with French? LOL that's fun but poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've given up on those two (India and French) long time ago and yes, the cover is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like LOTS of fun, but BOO on the cliffy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay question about those cliffies. Is it a full story and a then a cliffhanger into the next books storyline or is it really just part of a story then the next is the rest of the story arc? Did that make sense? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ehhh..

      First one! A cliffie that takes us to book 5, so not a OMG cliffie. Just a cliffie

      Delete
  17. Someday I shall check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another India Black book!

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm stuck in the middle of this one. Not sure if I'm going to bother finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This series sounds cool, I guess I need to make time for it! Sigh this TBR pile is daunting already, you're making it worse! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making a brave effort to tackling it this fall *coughs* trying

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP