Friday 22 August 2014

Romance Friday: Surrender of a Siren / A Lady of Persuasion - Tessa Dare

Desperate to escape a loveless marriage and society's constraints, pampered heiress Sophia Hathaway jilts her groom, packs up her paints and sketchbook, and assumes a new identity, posing as a governess to secure passage on the Aphrodite. She wants a life of her own: unsheltered, unconventional, uninhibited. But it's one thing to sketch her most wanton fantasies, and quite another to face the dangerously handsome libertine who would steal both her virtue and her gold.

To any well-bred lady, Benedict "Grayâ" Grayson is trouble in snug-fitting boots. A conscienceless scoundrel who sails the seas for pleasure and profit, Gray lives for conquest - until Sophia's perception and artistry stir his heart. Suddenly he'll brave sharks, fire, storm, and sea just to keep her at his side. She's beautiful, refined, and ripe for seduction. Could this counterfeit governess be a rogue's redemption? Or will the runaway heiress's secrets destroy their only chance at love?

My thoughts:
I read it really fast. Sweet, enjoyable romance. And it can be read as a stand alone, I read book 1 like 5 years ago so ;)

Sophia did not want to marry someone she did not love so she ran away. I get that. She did not want to be proper either, which I also get. It was fun seeing her find herself.

Gray is the captain who has to look after this proper governess who is an enigma. He falls, but she is a passenger so he stays away. But we all know he will not be able to forever. And it is a long way to the West Indies, and the ship is not that big.

They dance around each other, we see the daily life on a ship, they fall in love. Can they be in love? There is a bit of drama, heart ache, and then they live happily ever after.

A cute book.

cover
good

Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published August 25th 2009 by Ballantine Books
The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy #2
Historical romance
Own

Only one thing could convince Sir Tobias Aldridge, an incorrigible libertine, to profess undying fidelity to a woman he's just met. Revenge. What better way to get back at an enemy than by stealing the scoundrel's sister? Not that Toby finds it a chore, seducing a beguiling, sultry beauty freshly arrived from the West Indies. When the prize is Isabel Grayson, vengeance is doubly rewarding. 

Isabel is determined to marry a wealthy, powerful lord and become a lady of influence, using her rank and fortune to fight social injustice. Sir Toby, with his paltry title and infamous reputation, is unsuitable husband material - but he makes her blood race, her heart pound, and her long-buried passions come to the surface. If she can reform the charming devil, she'll get exactly what she craves: society's respect. But it's a dangerous gamble. For if Toby wins this battle of persuasion, Isabel could lose her heart.

My thoughts:
Cute and fun, honestly I could just end this there and be done. But I will say a few more words.

I kept waiting for the big drama, but the big drama was not that big and they talked it through, argued and later made up.

Isabel, I did find her tiresome at times. She was just so self sacrificing with her constant I shall do charity!!! I shall not enjoy myself!!! I will not love and go mad like mama!!! Yes charity is good, but do have fun once in a while too.

Toby, awww Toby. I kept waiting for him to be all revenge! But he saw her, wanted her, thought a second about revenge, and then about ripping her clothes off. Yes he fell in lust and love.

Conclusion:
Cute and fun like I said earlier.

cover
good

Mass Market Paperback, 345 pages
Published September 29th 2009 by Ballantine Books
The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy #3
Historical romance
Own

51 comments:

  1. 1) Not only a romance, but a book about finding herself. I love that. :) I love my romances, but I like a little more with it.

    2) Ugh she sounds like a perfect character and I hate those. But it still sounds cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I did like that she wanted more :D

      2. Yes sadly she was so tiresome at time, live girl, live!

      Delete
  2. They both sound like fun little romances, although I the characters in the Siren one sound a little more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The captain and there romance sounds nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo I so love Tessa Dare's books but I haven't read these! Must change that:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool :D I have one more on my shelf (and more to buy)

      Delete
  5. Yay Sophie! I mean, who would want to marry someone they didn't love? Someone is on a cute romantic kick today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that there's not really any drama to speak of here, and that they're both such light and entertaining reads. Perfect for the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept waiting for the drama, cos I am USED to the drama. But the drama is never good, I always get annoyed so this was refreshing

      Delete
  7. These both sound good, and yes I want to spend some time on the ship sailing and dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These two books sounds very nice! I haven't heard of them before, but I'm glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Tessa Dare and haven't read this books. I'll keep them in mind next time I want to read a historical. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was her first series :) She has written so much!

      Delete
  10. I think I've read one of TDare's books but for the life of me I can't remember which one. It must be so long ago!

    Anyway a goody two shoes can be irritating at times esp when we want them to fight back. Good thing it still turned out great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she was so much more than just goody two shoes. It was a bit too much.

      Well i read her first one years ago so I hear ya

      Delete
  11. These look like good relaxing cute books. Sometimes I just need one like this. I also like the second book cover more than the first.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Friday! And my work day is done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing wrong with cute and fun for the weekend, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the enigma of a governess but might pass on the self-sacrificing chick in the other story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes a short sweet romance is just what you need. Honestly I have no idea what I'm in the mood for lately!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are really making me want to go back to reading historical romances :) These sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoy Dare's romances but haven't read these titles so I'm glad to see you enjoyed them both. Lovely reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book, The goddess Hunt is really good

      Delete
  18. Oh look, it's Saturday already! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  19. They both sound good, and I think I have the first one. Or one that looks just like it ...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoy her books and I think I have these on my Kindle - now the time to read them needs to be found...)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lol, the book I'm reading right now has a MC that didn't want to marry so she ran away too. XD

    ReplyDelete
  22. These sound like fun romances, especially the first.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sure I have some Tessa Dare books somewhere ... hmm maybe a different trilogy??

    ReplyDelete
  24. These both sound like wonderfully fun reads for the beach, too bad I just got back :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP