Thursday 7 August 2014

The Confabulist - Steven Galloway

How much of our lives is real and how much is an illusion? 

The world's gaze is focussed on the feats and daring of the amazing Harry Houdini, while not a soul is aware of down-and-out Martin Strauss. However, Strauss' fate is inextricably linked with the magician's, and as Houdini continues to rise, and Strauss continues to fall, their lives will converge in spectacular and devastating fashion... 

At once entertaining and suspenseful, historically rich and cleverly told, The Confabulist is an novel of magic and memory, truth and illusion, and the ways that love, hope, grief, and imagination can - for better or for worse - alter what we perceive and what we believe.

My thoughts:
While reading this book I realised that I do not know anything about Harry Houdini, except for that for what he was famous for of course. But fact and fiction goes into each other here. Just as the narrator does not really know fact from fiction either. He has memories that are not real, and memories that are.

This book is then about Harry Houdini and how he became the most famous performer in the world. From his humble beginnings to performing for royalty. Other than royalty he meets detectives from Scotland Yard, Arthur Conan Doyle and spiritualists. He may perform "magic" but he does not like those who pray on those who do not know better.

The other POV is of Martin Strauss, the man who killed Houdini twice. It all comes through flashback as he is visiting a doctor. He wonders about his fake memories, and about  the woman Alice who has come to him for answers.

Conclusion:
I still wonder about what is really true, and what is not. I had to go check myths and theories about Houdini. But it was also interesting to learn more about those tricks. They seem so real, I know they are fake, but still, well that is magic of it after all.

If I am to compare it to his other novel, The Cellist of Sarajevo, then I did like that one better because it was hauntingly beautiful.

Cover
eh

Paperback, 320 pages
Published August 7th 2014 by Atlantic Books
Historical fiction
For review

38 comments:

  1. This sounds fun. I find Houdini fascinating, or at least the fictionalized versions of him I've run across. I think most of what I've read about him has been in novels, though, rather than non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting. I don't know much about Houdini either except the famous stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was fascinated by Houdini as a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently read a book about a girl that was supposedly HH's daughter, and I realized that I know very little about him as well. It's a shame, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I know the book you are talking about. I have seen it around

      Delete
  5. I read the same book that Maja did and I realized that I don't know much about Houdini. I think he was a fascinating man and I would like to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems no one knows anything about him, huh

      Delete
  6. Intriguing!! I'm just as curious about Strauss' character and how he killed Houdini twice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know nothing about Houdini and this sounds fascinating! I'm interested to read the Cellist of Sarajevo too. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read Cellist, it was scary and beautiful

      Delete
  8. This sounds really awesome, there should be more historical fiction/fantasy about magicians and illusionists, etc.

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds fascinating to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds interesting and I want to sort out fact from fiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woah this seems interesting. Not sure it's my genre but it's definitely intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're right, I also know about him in general but it must be really interesting to really learn more about his life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how neat. I don't think I've ever actually thought about him. lol That blend of fact and fiction can be a bit mind trippy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, I am still not sure what is what, lol

      Delete
  14. I honestly don't know much about Houdini either other than he was a master at getting out of impossible situations. Sounds like a fascinating read:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one knows anything..huh, man of mystery

      Delete
  15. I don't know a lot about Houdini either. It would be interesting to learn some more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds interesting. I really don't know much about Harry Houdini.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This definitely sounds interesting. I've always thought Harry Houdini was a pretty cool guy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not my genre at all, but sounds intriguing nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooooooooooooooh sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've had The Cellist of Sarajevo sitting on my bookshelf for years. think I'll read it first lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've had The Cellist of Sarajevo sitting on my bookshelf for years. think I'll read it first lol

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP