Wednesday 22 October 2014

Anthology: Unidentified funny objects 3

SCIENCE FICTION. FANTASY. HUMOR.

This is the third annual volume of Unidentified Funny Objects and it contains twenty-three humorous short stories from some of the genre's best-known authors, as well as talented up-and-comers.

ebook, 302 pages
Published September 20th 2014 by Smashwords Edition
Sci.fi, fantasy, fairy-tale, paranormal
For review

My thoughts:
Yes, it's time for the second anthology of the week!

Foreword - Alex Shvartsman
....

On the Efficacy of Supervillain Battles in Eliciting Therapeutic Breakthroughs - Jim C. Hines
Pretty cool and strange. A short story that worked well on it's own. About a girl standing on her own and getting work done.

The Right Answer - James A. Miller
Yes what is the right answer when an alien shows up? Nice short one.

The Gefilte Fish Girl - Mike Resnick
A man tells his mum about the mermaid he loves. Funny.

Master of Business Apocalypse - Jakob Drud
Magicians prevents the apocalypse, time after time. A bad boss can ruin it all.

Carla at the Off-Planet Tax Return Helpline - Caroline M. Yoachim
The title says it all. It was really funny!

Why I Bought Satan Two Cokes on the Day I Graduated High School - Nathaniel Lee
Angels everywhere, poor Satan gets his ass kicked and a kid befriends him. Nice.

Company Store - Robert Silverberg
Not for me. This guy have to buy things only from one company.

The Door-to-Door Salesthing from Planet X - Josh Vogt
Poor salesman :/ 

Picture Perfect - Matt Mikalatos
I honestly can't remember what it was about

The Discounted Seniors - James Beamon
Some are not grateful when this guy saves the day.

That Must Be Them Now - Karen Haber
I only remember it was not for me

Notes to My Past And/or Alternate Selves - Sarah Pinsker
You would not think a list would be funny but it was so amusing :)

The Real and the Really Real - Tim Pratt
A human left alone in a world of robots. Ohh I liked the twist in this one.

Into the Woods, with Zombunny - Camille Griep
A fairytale! Ha, I enjoyed this one a lot. I am not gonna say which fairytale.

Live at the Scene - Gini Koch'
Newsteam reporting about aliens. Funny :)

The Newsboy’s Last Stand - Krystal Claxton
I liked this one about a newsboy telling bad news, and then throwing in god ones. Good.

The Full Lazenby - Jeremy Butler
Weird story about ..well just read it ;)

Do Not Remove This Tag - Piers Anthony
A jinnni turns up and wants to live large.

Super-Baby-Moms Group Saves the Day! - Tina Connolly
All in emailform and it worked great. Amusing.

The Choochoomorphosis - Oliver Buckram
Lol. Weird very short story.

The Fate Worse than Death - Kevin J. Anderson and Guy Anthony De Marco
Dracula gets a guest, an annoying one. Nice

Elections at Villa Encantada - Cat Rambo
About something. Did not keep my attention

Infinite Drive - Jody Lynn Nye
Investigators investigate. Eh

Like with all anthologies, some stories were good, some ok, some not to my taste. But almost all were funny (except those that were meh then.) And a nice mix too of sci-fi, fantasy, fairy-tale and all the rest and weird.

The kind of book that you could read before bed, one story a day :)

24 comments:

  1. Oooh! Most of them sound great, especially where the kid buys Satan 2 cokes!

    I actually like anthologies, it's a good chance to experience favorite authors and also some I haven't read.

    Very nice review, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      Hihi, yes they have funny titles, and are funny. Win win

      Delete
  2. This actually looks kinda awesome! :D

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. This looks downright fun. I like that so many of the stories are funny. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except those that I went meh about, all were funny (and I am sure the meh ones were amusing too)

      Delete
  4. That looks pretty entertaining but dang that's a lot of little stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, well that is true, a lot there were

      Delete
  5. So need to get one. The titles are amusing! I think "Why I Bought Satan Two Cokes on the Day I Graduated High School wins for me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover is... interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds like overall it was a winner. :) And a fun read. I hadn't heard of this one, but sounds like one I do think I'd enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of weird funny stories. Something for everyone

      Delete
  8. I love your one sentence reviews, this really sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I really do not want to drag it out, also with anthologies..I forget. So I made tiny notes as I read

      Delete
  9. it's nice to have a mix like that and the cover is really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha sounds like a lot of fun going on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No,no,no, no. Short stories are bad for my health. My doctor has forbidden me to read any anthologies with more than three short stories. No.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These stories are so quirky and cool sounding! I love the idea of a guy telling his mom about his mermaid love :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so funny, not to mention when his mum wanted to know if she as a Jewish mermaid

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP