Thursday 30 October 2014

The Relic Guild - Edward Cox

Magic caused the war. Magic is forbidden. Magic will save us.

It was said the Labyrinth had once been the great meeting place, a sprawling city at the heart of an endless maze where a million humans hosted the Houses of the Aelfir. The Aelfir who had brought trade and riches, and a future full of promise. But when the Thaumaturgists, overlords of human and Aelfir alike, went to war, everything was ruined and the Labyrinth became an abandoned forbidden zone, where humans were trapped behind boundary walls a hundred feet high.

Now the Aelfir are a distant memory and the Thaumaturgists have faded into myth. Young Clara struggles to survive in a dangerous and dysfunctional city, where eyes are keen, nights are long, and the use of magic is punishable by death. She hides in the shadows, fearful that someone will discover she is touched by magic. She knows her days are numbered. But when a strange man named Fabian Moor returns to the Labyrinth, Clara learns that magic serves a higher purpose and that some myths are much more deadly in the flesh.

The only people Clara can trust are the Relic Guild, a secret band of magickers sworn to protect the Labyrinth. But the Relic Guild are now too few. To truly defeat their old nemesis Moor, mightier help will be required. To save the Labyrinth – and the lives of one million humans – Clara and the Relic Guild must find a way to contact the worlds beyond their walls. 

My thoughts:
In a world where there is only one city, and a labyrinth,...our story takes place. There are other places, but they can't be reached. So everyone is just stuck. Well that sucks for them.

There was a great war, now magic is gone (and is considered bad!). So everyone just, well tries to live the best they can.

There are a few POVS. Clara, a whore with a secret (she is a shifter, and that could get her killed. ) And then there is the Relic Guild, a hidden organization with people who still have magic. They need her as an old enemy is rising. Oh those old enemies, they always are so evil.

It was an interesting world and premise. The weird labyrinth. The place where the bad Aelfir were put. The city that just lives on but does not really live. A strange world. I would so have wanted to know more about the Aelfir, oh well :/ They went away after the war.

But I would have wanted more, I did not really feel the world. It was there, but I would have wanted a bit more world building. The same with the characters, I wanted more from them too. I could not truly feel them or their actions.

Still, go Clara, it's always good that a former prostitute gets to shine too. She has promise. And I so want to know more about the Aelfir, what? I was curious.

Conclusion:
A strange dark world on the brink of doom

Cover


Hardcover, 432 pages
Published September 18th 2014 by Gollancz
Fantasy
Review copy

28 comments:

  1. I've just read this and was writing a review of it just today. I rather enjoyed it, it wasn't perfect but perfectly readable.

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I look forward to your review then

      Delete
  2. A bit less enthusiastic than I'd hoped for, since I really want this book, though great review. It's not out in the US yet but I was thinking of getting it through the Book Depository.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to be all yay, bit it had some issues

      Delete
  3. I'm a sucker for any world involving mazes and labyrinths, and this sounds super cool and dark. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see me being frustrated with the worldbuilding as well. Still, this has me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to be sure, but world building can make an ok book epic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is kinda weird sounding. The cover totally gave me the willies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is like that Minotaur story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if elves had lives there with him yes

      Delete
  8. I'm glad there really is still magic. Yeah, if the labyrinth is such a large part of the story it would be nice if it was explained.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe? If it ever hits US shores I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes it sounds like a different world and I confess it makes me curious to discover it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But what do you think of the cover? It kills me that I don't know. A hint - it is good ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, shit, yes the text was missing ;)

      I liked it

      Delete
  12. This sounds like something I might like, but I'm not sure...
    You made me laugh with "Oh those old enemies, they always are so evil" :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds interesting... putting this one on my list for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP