Sunday 16 November 2014

Carole Reviews: Whatever happened to Mourning Free - Yael Politis


Author: Yael Politis
Title: Whatever Happened to Mourning Free (Olivia #3)
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: ebook
First Published: September 2014
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest opinion)

"It's 1967 and Charlene Connor has just graduated from the University of Michigan, without her "Mrs." Her mother recently passed away and soon afterwards her father fled the silence to a new job on the other side of the state. So Charlene is going "home" to what is now an empty house. 



Two things make this long, hot summer bearable: Reeves Valenti – the high school sweetheart she left behind – and the lawyer who unexpectedly knocks on her door, bringing information about the woman she idolizes - her great-great-great Aunt Olivia Killion. Charlene can't wait to get Olivia's journals from him and finally learn what happened to Olivia and her friend and partner Mourning Free; she doesn't know that the answer to that question will deepen the connection she feels to Olivia and bring a new person -- and a fundamental change -- into her life. "

This is the third and final book of the Olivia series. However, this is told through the POV of Charlene who is the great-great-great niece of our heroine Olivia in the first two books. This was an interesting take on giving a "what happened" to not only our heroine Olivia, but to the elusive Mourning. What DID happen with Mourning? This has been a burning question for me. I pretty much guessed what DID happen, but it was a little different then what I "hoped" for. 

I will spoil it, because it is no surprise. This is not an HEA. Olivia and Mourning do not really ever get to be together because of the simple fact that he is a black man and she is a white woman. So sad that we allowed this hatred to happen. :/ Who are we to say who can love each other?

Anyways...

Poor Charlene. She has had a hell of a time. She broke up with Reeves a little while ago for a stupid and selfish reason, her mom died, her dad moved away, her sister is far away, and she is left alone with taking care of getting the house ready to sell. Granted...her dad did hire someone to help her: Reeves. Sighs. I would be so upset, but alas, she still loves him and he loves her so its okay I guess. However, it is the fact the dad went behind her back and didn't care it would be awkward as Hell. >___> Some people. 

Also, poor Charlie. :/

I am glad this wasn't solely set in Charlene's POV, you do get a glimpse of Olivia through some of her diary entries about what happened to her and to Mourning. It was nice, but the beginning was rather slow, because I was having issues adjusting to her POV. I honestly wish that it was completely in Olivia's POV, but I am biased, because I do like Olivia a lot more then I liked Charlene. She was okay...just...well...she is very naive and selfish. Granted. She is a young adult trying to figure her life out through a crazy time in history. Oh yes, the late 1960s. A time of chaos and change. I am certainly glad I did not grow up in that time period. 

In the end, this was okay. It was different and showed a different side of the author's writing style. I am biased, because I adored Olivia a lot more then Charlene, so it was hard to pretty much get a second-hand account of her story through Charlene and diary entries. I really wish this was a Historical Romance, because Olivia, Mourning, and Little Boy would have lived HEA, but alas...she stays true with the times. It was impossible for that to happen. It was a fun ride and it was an interesting way to end the series. I am looking forward to Yael's other books! She is fantastic. I recommend this to those that like Historical Fiction. Out of five stars, I shall stamp this 3 stars. 

Favorite Character(s): Charlie, Charlene (I had a love-hate thing with her), and Olivia
Not-so Favorite Character(s): Reeves (he bugged me)





14 comments:

  1. I'm slowly working my way into historical fiction but not sure this one would quite work for me. Glad you were able to enjoy bits of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mourning is a character? What an odd name, sounds depressing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sad story how he got that name. :( His mom and dad as he was being born, so a fellow slave who took him in named him that. A "mourning child".

      Delete
  3. I'm not a fan of the cover but it sounds well done. Plus I like a good historical book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. 'Tis okay. It wasn't a horrible ending...but not what I wanted.

      Delete
  5. So, Charlie doesn't end up with Reeves, either?
    Geez, sounds kind of like a bummer all the way around :(
    Poor Olivia, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you who she gets with. She gets with someone.....but I shall not say.

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP