Wednesday 19 November 2014

NOS 4R2 - Joe Hill

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son. 

My thoughts:
Ok so I know I usually do not read and review books like this, but I since I read almost every other genre I decided to spread my wings a bit, and good thing I did.

For 700 pages it sure went by fast. But then it did have me at the edge of my seat wondering what would happen. What was it called now again, Horror Thriller Suspense? Well you get the idea. It will keep you interested.

The plot then. Vic can with her bike travel across a bridge and end up wherever she wants to. A bit how she does this is explained later, some have this power to do things. Some use it for good, some use it for bad. Vic grows up and falls in with the wrong crowd. Sex, drugs, life is shit. And then she meets Manx and is more messed up for life. Years later, he wants her son...

Oh yes, through out the book we meet Manx. A creepy guy who travels in a car and steals children to Christmasland where they get creepier than him. The mothers are killed too by his psychotic side-kick. Manx is silently creepy, like if you just looked at him you'd freak out and run. Seriously, ugh. While like I said his side-kick is a psycho and shows it.

Poor Vic, she really thinks she is crazy, and who could blame her. Who would be able to bike across a bridge and end up miles away? But she has some strength left and I liked to see her fight for her revenge.

Conclusion:
I liked the book. Enough creepy people (you do NOT want to go to Xmas land). Characters to root for (even when they f up their lives.) If you like suspense read it, horror read it, thriller read it. Or if you are like me and wants to try something new, give it a chance :) And get a bit freaked out. 

Cover
eh

Paperback: 704 pages
Publisher: Gollancz (6 Nov 2014)
Thriller /Suspense /Horror
For review

35 comments:

  1. This was a great book. My first introduction to Joe Hill. This man can definitely spin a creepy tale.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manx sounds like someone I'd be running from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a very weird book. I'm not sure it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I think I can handle his books but I haven't tried them yet. I do think I'll add this one to the creepy wishlist. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been so tempted to pick this up but keep stopping. Maybe I don't want to be too scared? I did like his first book, though I"m not really a horror fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would not be too scared, it's more creepy than scary

      Delete
  6. A Halloween Christmas novel... sort of... Loving it already! And what is in XMas land?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids with racer sharp teeth that kill each other and have thumbs for necklaces...

      Delete
  7. Wow, that is original!
    Glad you enjoyed! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. well so many things in this one, it sounds interesting and it's nice that you read it fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I could read it but I don't like creepy or scary - I'm a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had my eye on this book for a while. I need to get it in my schedule sometime soon. I've been wanting to read/listen to more horror.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to read this Linda..it is my kinda of creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I completely loved this one!! I'll definitely pick up another of his books.

    PS The title is NOS4A2 here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird...is it a plate thing then? Guess so

      Delete
  13. I'll second your "eh" on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was wondering what you would think of it. EVERYONE I know loves it but I haven't read it yet. Guess I need to.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone? Do not get hyped up then, hype is dangerous

      Delete
  15. I haven't read this particular book by Joe Hill although I do have it (my bad) but I love Hill's work and its a definite case of like father like son, with his horror heritage it would have been sad if he didn't have an iota of the talent his daddy has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *coughs* I have only read one book by King. A fantasy one, lol

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP