Wednesday 26 November 2014

The Slow Regard of Silent Things - Patrick Rothfuss

The Slow Regard of Silent Things is set at The University, where the brightest minds work to unravel the mysteries of enlightened sciences, such as artificing and alchemy. Auri, a former student (and a secondary but influential character from Rothfuss’s earlier novels) now lives alone beneath the sprawling campus in a maze of ancient and abandoned passageways. There in The Underthing, she feels her powers and learns to see the truths that science—and her former classmates—have overlooked 

My thoughts:
Well, I have never read a foreword where the author tells me not to read this book....

But he is right, the novella was strange. It's 150 pages without dialogue. It's a story about a weird girl looking at things, findings things and just being weird. 8 pages about her making soap. A strange broken OCD girl, and  she would have more diagnoses. 

But in all its strangeness it was good. A tale of a broken girl and objects she finds and names. I liked Auri, and her world.

So with all the author's warnings, what can I say. Either you will enjoy it, or maybe not. I honestly can't tell you. If you like Rothfuss then yes def give it a go. If you like stories just for the writing then yes. Because he sure has a way of words.

Cover snark
Nice

Hardcover, 150 pages
Published October 28th 2014 by Gollancz
Tales from Temerant, The Kingkiller Chronicle #2.5
Fantasy
For review

34 comments:

  1. Sounds odd. I still haven't read anything by Rothfuss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like quirky books where the author tells you not to read them. Rothfuss is another author I have been wanting to try, I own a hardback of Name of the Wind... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is so weird, you should read what he said why people should not read it, lol

      Delete
  3. Reading this one now, well, listening to it actually, since I have the audiobook. Hoping to start it up today and finish it since it's so short. I think the UK cover is lovely, btw.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like it better than the US one :)

      I hope it's good on audio!

      Delete
  4. Well at least he warns you. Sometimes that will help you keep your mind open to enjoying it more.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read a forward where the author tells me not to read it either! Interesting. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's intriguing and sounds different. At least, you has a good time too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm attracted to weird books, must add this one to my list! And the cover is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like this cover :) It does catch the eye

      Delete
  8. I need to read this one... or listen to the audiobook if there is an audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, it's interesting how the author says not to read the book when he wrote the book lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were readers who loved his books that did not like this one, they had said he should keep his attention on his series ;) So he warned us

      Delete
  10. This really does not sound like anything I would enjoy, but perhaps only a fan can like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy this author, so I shall take a chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been warned against reading a book at the beginning of a book, but never told not to read it. No dialogue? That is strange. Soap? Okay... It's cute how she names random objects thing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, aye she makes soap, she is very happy to get new soap

      Delete
  13. ...............0__o no dialogue? Was it all inner-thinking? I shall skip this, sorry. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo nope not for me I don't think. Very pretty cover though :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Intriguing. I need to read some of his other books first for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP