Monday 1 December 2014

Archangel's shadows - Nalini Singh

In the wake of a brutal war, the archangel Raphael and his hunter consort, Elena, are dealing with the treacherously shifting tides of archangelic politics and the people of a battered but not broken city. The last thing their city needs is more death, especially not a death that bears the eerie signature of an insane enemy archangel who cannot - should not - be walking the streets. This hunt must be undertaken with stealth and without alerting their people. It must be handled by those who can become shadows themselves...

Ash is a gifted tracker and a woman cursed with the ability to sense the secrets of anyone she touches. But there's one man she knows all too well without a single instant of skin contact: Janvier, the dangerously sexy Cajun vampire who has fascinated and infuriated her for years. Now, as they track down a merciless killer, their cat-and-mouse game of flirtation and provocation has turned into a profound one of the heart. And this time, it is Ash's secret, dark and terrible, that threatens to destroy them both.

My thoughts:
Yes, I admit, I missed a few in this series, but then I jumped at reading this one, and it did work. Even if I also did wish I had read the ones I have missed. At least I can say that it does work as a stand alone in that way (even though it's a series and you miss thing), but if you do want to read this series then do start at book 1. I may be many things but I do like order ;) 

This is Janvier's and Ash's book. A vampire and a hunter, both on the same side, and both have worked hard to make New York safe. 

Ash has issues of her own and I do get her fear and her unwillingness to give in to what she really wanted (him, oh yes.) But she held herself back, foolish woman! But she has reasons :/

And Janvier, oh he really wants this strong woman to be his. So he courts her like he has done for a while but she does not give in. But hey this is their book so you know that there will be a HEA at the end.

There is also the hunt for something strange. Something is going on in the city, something bloody, and they are on the case.

And we get to see Elena's POV, as she and Raphael are being their awesome selves, and also the rest of the gang.

Conclusion:
Lots of action promised as they hunt down a killer. And some romance too on top.

cover
I do not like that they all are alike

Paperback, UK edition, 384 pages
Published November 6th 2014 by Gollancz
Guild Hunter #7
Urban fantasy / Paranormal romance
For review

49 comments:

  1. It sounds good! You are bad like me....not reading book #1. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I read a review for one of Nalini Singh's books I feel like something is missing in my life. The next time I finish a series, I'll use Guild Hunter to fill the void.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combo of vamp and hunter intrigues me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so adore this series, it's one of my all time favorites! I didn't think I'd like Ash and Janvier as much as I did (I'm waiting not-so patiently for Illium!), but they were fabulous:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want...oh wait, the name is slipping away...bluebell you know

      Delete
  5. I've missed out not he last few books but I do enjoy this series.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoyed this book. I loved them as a couple. I want to see more of Nasir.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't read anything by this author but she is on my list for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like her other series too, but have not read it in a while

      Delete
  8. I've wanted to start this series too... I've read some prequel novella thingy but not book 1 yet. I liked the one I read though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read book 1..hm prequels, dunno if I have

      Delete
  9. That cover is CREEPY - too skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chaos FTW! LOL I have wanted to start this series so it is good to know I could skip around if I chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would NOT recommend skipping around in the series. Each book really does build upon the previous. If you don't want to start back at the beginning, I'd pick a book and move forward from that point. :-)

      Delete
    2. LOL, I see you are telling people not to skip Jen ;) And yes I do agree, I always tell do read every book from 1 to 100. But it worked for me now, even if I wanted to read in order, and should have

      Delete
    3. Haha! I'm good like that! ;-D

      Delete
  11. So I'm guessing the books can be read as stand-alone then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO! Although she was okay reading after skipping, they are not all stand alone books. Each builds upon the previous as far as mythology and overall story arc. In fact, the book just before this one (LEGION) has some major game changing for the world - which is probably why this one was easier to pick up as stand alone.

      Delete
    2. I would not recommened it if you haven't read a single one, I knew the world and if you know nothing then it would be hard

      Delete
  12. The US covers for this series ROCK hard!

    I'm glad you still enjoyed, but you did miss a lot. My fav was the book just before this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I did :/ Mostly hook ups ;) And yes the stuff like went down in the last book.

      Delete
  13. I've never read any Nalini Singh, though I've always been interested. From what I've heard though, her stuff might be a bit too heavy on the romance for me.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say her other series is more romance heavy, this one not so much, even though it has couples

      Delete
  14. I'm so late, I've only read book 1 but I have book 2 and 3, I need to read them one day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to have to read a series in order but no more. I'm glad this one worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do prefer that, but I made a choice and luckily it worked

      Delete
  16. I still prefer to read series starting with book #1, but since I've been reviewing books, I've started everything somewhere in the middle. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm glad to hear that this one works as a stand alone. I've heard alot about this author and want to read her books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like a series that can be read out of order. (and knowing it will end well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you read some of the earlier ones first ;)

      Delete
  18. I haven't read this series but I keep hearing good things! I must fix that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I started this book, but haven't been able to finish it... but it's one of those "it's me, not you" cases. I'm just not into PNR lately. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hear you, I feel that i's not as pnr, more a mix. Therefore it works cos I am pnred out

      Delete
  20. I still haven't tried one of Singh's books. I really need to make an effort to find the beginning of the series. Glad to see its not wholly pnr.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP