Monday 15 December 2014

Ice - Sarah Beth Durst

When Cassie was a little girl, her grandmother told her a fairy tale about her mother, who made a deal with the Polar Bear King and was swept away to the ends of the earth. Now that Cassie is older, she knows the story was a nice way of saying her mother had died. Cassie lives with her father at an Arctic research station, is determined to become a scientist, and has no time for make-believe.

Then, on her eighteenth birthday, Cassie comes face-to-face with a polar bear who speaks to her. He tells her that her mother is alive, imprisoned at the ends of the earth. And he can bring her back — if Cassie will agree to be his bride.

That is the beginning of Cassie's own real-life fairy tale, one that sends her on an unbelievable journey across the brutal Arctic, through the Canadian boreal forest, and on the back of the North Wind to the land east of the sun and west of the moon. Before it is over, the world she knows will be swept away, and everything she holds dear will be taken from her — until she discovers the true meaning of love and family in the magical realm of Ice. 

My thoughts:
I have always loved the tale East of the sun, west of the moon, and that is why I wanted to read this re-telling.

It's a modern version. Cassie learns that those fairy tales she heard from her grandmother are true. Her mother is being held by trolls, and Cassie is promised to the polar bear king.

Cassie was a clever girl. She lived at a arctic research station so she knew the wild (which is needed later on).

The story, well if you know the basics of the other story then you know this one. With a few exceptions. Like what Bear actually does for a living, and the wonderful world Durst created for this.

The romance, well I know she was there for weeks but I would have liked the see the romance blossom myself. Instead of later just being told they were in love.

Conclusion:
A lovely tale. 

cover
ok, it does fit

Hardcover, 308 pages
Published October 6th 2009 by Margaret K. McElderry Books
YA / Paranormal romance/adventure/fairytale
Own

46 comments:

  1. Hmm. The Polar Bear makes me think of the Golden Compass (which I didn't get at all). I do love fairy tale retellings so much though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute. :) If the artic wasn't sooooooooo cold I would live there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to read this one for such a long time, along with the original fairy tale. You know how it's with some books- you havent read 'em or anything but some kind of impression just makes you love them anyhow? that's how it's with me and this book. Must. Read. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally know what you mean :)
      I love every version of this story, as there are other ones alike from other countries.

      Delete
  4. I have wanted to read this author and I am not sure I know the tale, sounds like one to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I know of the original fairy tale or maybe it's just not coming to mind, but it sounds intriguing. I love the cover too.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you wont know what happens, so that is a good thing

      Delete
  6. I haven't read this one but I do like Sarah Beth Durst's writing. I might have to pick this one up for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I remember seeing this a while back and thinking maybe. I'd probably want to see the love unfold too. I miss that when it's glossed over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a huge fan of retellings, but I've had some great experiences with this author before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then again thestory it is based on is like an old Greek one so everything is a re-telling of something

      Delete
  9. I don't think I know the original fairy tale. Sounds good though - would hate to be trapped with trolls for years and years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a fan of retellings either but as I haven't read the original story might work on my favor. Now I have to look up East of the Sun

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cover makes me feel cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds lovely and I am glad it held up against the original.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cover looks cold- but is very well done. :) I enjoy good retellings and this one sound worth the time! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like all sorts of re-tellings and yup that is why I read it

      Delete
  14. the cover makes me think of the Pullman series. I didn't know about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor bear, everyone confuses him with someone else

      Delete
  15. I'm sure I've been meaning to read this one, Linda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who wouldn't want to marry a bear I ask? *yawn*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh this looks like such a lovely story! Nice review :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never heard of East of the Son West of the Moon. This book did sound like a fairy tale though. Yeah, being told they're in love never does it for me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so Norwegian so I guess that is why :)

      I do want to see it, not just being told it's weeks later

      Delete
  19. I like the cover and I like what you said about the book. To my TBR it goes...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have yet to meet a Sarah Beth Durst novel I didn't like, and I've been wanting to read this one. So happy to hear it worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen her books around and I am glad I finally tried one of her books

      Delete
    2. *butts in* Read Vessel next by SBD. One of my favorites from her.

      Delete
  21. Yes yes YES! East of the Sun West of the Moon is my FAVORITE fairy tale EVER!

    The biggest issue I had with the book was the forced pregnancy. That didn't sit well with me at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that was..not cool. And she did skim it somewhat when she did not really show their love affair

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP