Wednesday 17 December 2014

The emperor's blades - Brian Staveley

The circle is closing. The stakes are high. And old truths will live again . . .

The Emperor has been murdered, leaving the Annurian Empire in turmoil. Now his progeny must bury their grief and prepare to unmask a conspiracy.

His son Valyn, training for the empire’s deadliest fighting force, hears the news an ocean away. He expected a challenge, but after several ‘accidents’ and a dying soldier’s warning, he realizes his life is also in danger. Yet before Valyn can take action, he must survive the mercenaries’ brutal final initiation.

Meanwhile, the Emperor’s daughter, Minister Adare, hunts her father’s murderer in the capital itself. Court politics can be fatal, but she needs justice. And Kaden, heir to an empire, studies in a remote monastery. Here, the Blank God’s disciples teach their harsh ways – which Kaden must master to unlock their ancient powers. When an imperial delegation arrives, he’s learnt enough to perceive evil intent. But will this keep him alive, as long-hidden powers make their move? 

My thoughts:
I did feel it started of a bit shaky, not shaky bad, just not..awesome. Ok that sounds weird, but you know it's when someone tells you the book is gonna be awesome and you expect it from the start. But as I got to know the characters the book got better and better.

But, honestly was is necessary to use the swear word kent-kissing on every page?! I have nothing against swear words but it was overkill. Moving on.

There are 3 main characters, but the sister, Adare only got a few pages, so I do not know her at all. Disappointing.

Valyn, the 2nd son has been training for 8 years. A tough shitty life with some mean ass soldiers. And now he wonders if someone is after him. He seemed a bit dumb at times but he grows, I liked him.

The heir to the throne Kaden was sent to the mountains to train with some crazy ass monks who had him working hard. He was smart, he thought about things, I liked him. 

The best part though was the first 2 pages, intriguing stuff right there. The whole world building is interesting, I do want to learn more.

Conclusion:
And at the end, yes I want to read book 2

Cover
ok

Hardcover, 480 pages
Published January 14th 2014 by Tor Books
Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne #1
Fantasy
Library

41 comments:

  1. Adare does get a larger role to play in the second book, and the world building gets even bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad cos now she felt so secondary and I did not learn who she really was

      Delete
  2. I'm not much of a fantasy reader. Boo me, yes. At least you stuck to it and that you're willing to move on to the next one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo you ;) I adore fantasy, hehe, always will

      Delete
  3. There are some hitches in this one, but I liked it. I enjoyed it enough to continue with book 2 and I'm so glad I did. I got to read the ARC of the sequel Providence of Fire and it is AMAZING!!!!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *jealous*
      I can get over glitches as long as it is good, and good it was

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good read overall. Hm... might have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL.Sometimes it takes me a few chapters to slip into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good! I'm planning on binge reading a couple of epic fantasies next week, since following your blog I've been craving for some and the calling is too loud for me to ignore now. Thanks for the drop of diversity :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate when they go overboard on swearing. I swear a lot myself, but sometimes I feel they get carried away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear a lot too..a LOT. But on every page? The same boring word

      Delete
  8. I said I wanted to read the second book when I reviewed the first. Yet I have not felt the urge to pick it up so far, so maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to read it, I am just not rushing out to do so

      Delete
  9. I keep hearing that about the sister - that she really didn't get enough time spent on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had no screen time at all, I mean at all. You can't say it's about 3 people if she has like 5 pages out of 500

      Delete
  10. Well yay for it ending on a stronger note :) Not quite the genre for me I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry it wasn"t as good as you thought it was. Hope book 2 is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, just not as good as the prologue

      Delete
  12. I dunno, still sounds pretty awesome to me! ha ha, maybe I'll give this one a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm glad that you enjoyed this overall. I'm not sure if it sounds like my kind of thing, to be honest. Nice review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I swear a lot but it stands out in a book much easier than if someone is speaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least spice it up then and use a lot of words so I do not grow bored

      Delete
  15. Glad the swearing overkill didn't keep you from wanting to continue with this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like me *beep* saying a *beep* in every other *beep*

      Delete
  16. I've wanted to read this book! I understand what you mean, some books just don't start with the wow-ness factor I expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they all can't ;) But at least it was not bad, by no means

      Delete
  17. I hope you give it a go, and enjoys it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad it turned into a good read despite the lackluster beginning. I love when characters grow, especially if they seem a bit dim to start. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was not the smartest cookie in the jar ;)

      Delete
  19. I was wondering if buying this one from Book Outlet since there was the whole Boxing Day sale, but ended up not buying it. Because, hey, I got 19 books this Christmas. There must be a limit, right?? So now I'm glad I didn't!! Because I was looking very forward to a strong female main character and if she only appears in so few pages, what is the point?? Thanks for the review. I guess I'll read this someday, just won't be buying it :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 19!!!!! I only got 8 ;) wait 10...

      Oh not a strong woman in sight, maybe in book 2, will tell ya

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP